Author Topic: Scenario: Tatum or Brown+Smart  (Read 4872 times)

Re: Scenario: Tatum or Brown+Smart
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum has more value than Smart + Brown

Tatum has superstar potential.

Brown has fringe star potential.

Smart is a career role player.

So you’d trade Brown and Smart? Would you still go after Kyrie with Davis, Horford, Hayward and Tatum?

Kyrie is a given under any circumstance. He is a 2nd All-NBA Team star in his prime - you sign him to a max even if you absolutely hate him. He is much better than our other two max players.

I assume what LB is saying is that if NOP views Brown and Tatum equally, that is awesome. You trade Brown and Smart (plus whatever) for AD and you still have your number one asset to either build around or trade. I love JB - he is probably my current favorite Celtic - but even I realize that Tatum has more value, not even including the extra year left on his rookie contract.

I think the All-NBA selection these days are kinda sketchy. You have guys like Rudy Gobert, Deandre Jordan and Carlos Boozer making the team. Signing a guy who fail to lead a team in the playoffs into a max could be mistake. You have teams like Washington, OKC and Grizzlies crippling their cap because of signing guys that aren't even max worthy. Jazz will regret signing Gobert with Super Max.

Max salary should only be spent with proven MVP caliber players who can lead their team deep into the playoffs.
That's just not how it works though, and if you try to do that you'll lose all your All-Star level talent in free agency

Yeah, really. And, I'm confused, are we saying that Kyrie is not one of those guys? He's clearly deserving of a max contract, even a super-max (but the CBA doesn't allow that - so much for Boston's advantage). Even if you say every team should only have one max contract guy, you still get 30 of those in the league. Two per team even sounds reasonable (we had 3 this past year, could have 4 next), which gives you 60. More than half of those would not even be All-Stars.

Again, how did those supermax turned out for their teams? Sure, you get to retain your supposedly star player, but you also kill your chance your chance to improve your team by signing better supporting casts. In short, you are stuck in purgatory. Steph actually led Warriors a ship before he was signed into supermax contract. Warriors was smart to so sign him into a bargain deal before he became an MVP caliber player.

What did guys like Wall and Westbrook did to their respective franchise as supermax players? I wouldn't consider Westbrook a true MVP because he failed to lead his team deep in the playoffs. I have no problem teams signing players to supermax, only if they truly deserve it.

If people were hesistant to bring IT brinks truck back then, it shouldn't be different with Kyrie who performed much worse when we needed him the most.

There should be an actual scale price range when recent performance before free agency is in question.

Tier 1 = Supermax (MVP caliber players)
Tier 2 = Max players (Fringe All-Stars/All-NBA/DPOY players)
Tier 3 = All-Defensive teamers/ 6MOY
Tier 4 = Solid role players
Tier 5 = MLE
Tier 6 = Vet min

There is no way Kyrie belongs in the supermax discussion. Max extension, maybe but the team have already peaked, unless there are major changes within. Either within the coaching system or supporting casts.
I really have no idea what your point is. Should we let Kyrie walk because you don't think he's worth the contract?

Your tiers are nice, but for the fact that the CBA already has an eligibility criteria for the super-max:
1) Named to an All-NBA (first, second, or third) team in the previous season, or in two of the last three seasons.
2) Named Defensive Player of the Year in the previous season, or two of the last three seasons.
3) Named NBA MVP in one of the last three seasons.

Is it better for teams to just let their players walk because they're not MVP caliber guys? Especially small-market teams, which is one of the primary reasons as to why the super-max was even created? That is just terrible asset management.

Literally every single fan should want us to resign Kyrie, even if it's just so that we can trade him later when his value would be higher (as a contracted player). It makes literally no sense to lose him for nothing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 12:12:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Calling Marcus Smart a career role player is the most disturbing thing I think I’ve ever read.
what do you call Tony Allen and PJ Tucker?

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 12:24:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Calling Marcus Smart a career role player is the most disturbing thing I think I’ve ever read.
what do you call Tony Allen and PJ Tucker?
Players that are worse than Marcus Smart
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 04:49:44 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Tatum has more value than Smart + Brown

Tatum has superstar potential.

Brown has fringe star potential.

Smart is a career role player.

So you’d trade Brown and Smart? Would you still go after Kyrie with Davis, Horford, Hayward and Tatum?

Kyrie is a given under any circumstance. He is a 2nd All-NBA Team star in his prime - you sign him to a max even if you absolutely hate him. He is much better than our other two max players.

I assume what LB is saying is that if NOP views Brown and Tatum equally, that is awesome. You trade Brown and Smart (plus whatever) for AD and you still have your number one asset to either build around or trade. I love JB - he is probably my current favorite Celtic - but even I realize that Tatum has more value, not even including the extra year left on his rookie contract.

I think the All-NBA selection these days are kinda sketchy. You have guys like Rudy Gobert, Deandre Jordan and Carlos Boozer making the team. Signing a guy who fail to lead a team in the playoffs into a max could be mistake. You have teams like Washington, OKC and Grizzlies crippling their cap because of signing guys that aren't even max worthy. Jazz will regret signing Gobert with Super Max.

Max salary should only be spent with proven MVP caliber players who can lead their team deep into the playoffs.
That's just not how it works though, and if you try to do that you'll lose all your All-Star level talent in free agency

Yeah, really. And, I'm confused, are we saying that Kyrie is not one of those guys? He's clearly deserving of a max contract, even a super-max (but the CBA doesn't allow that - so much for Boston's advantage). Even if you say every team should only have one max contract guy, you still get 30 of those in the league. Two per team even sounds reasonable (we had 3 this past year, could have 4 next), which gives you 60. More than half of those would not even be All-Stars.

Again, how did those supermax turned out for their teams? Sure, you get to retain your supposedly star player, but you also kill your chance your chance to improve your team by signing better supporting casts. In short, you are stuck in purgatory. Steph actually led Warriors a ship before he was signed into supermax contract. Warriors was smart to so sign him into a bargain deal before he became an MVP caliber player.

What did guys like Wall and Westbrook did to their respective franchise as supermax players? I wouldn't consider Westbrook a true MVP because he failed to lead his team deep in the playoffs. I have no problem teams signing players to supermax, only if they truly deserve it.

If people were hesistant to bring IT brinks truck back then, it shouldn't be different with Kyrie who performed much worse when we needed him the most.

There should be an actual scale price range when recent performance before free agency is in question.

Tier 1 = Supermax (MVP caliber players)
Tier 2 = Max players (Fringe All-Stars/All-NBA/DPOY players)
Tier 3 = All-Defensive teamers/ 6MOY
Tier 4 = Solid role players
Tier 5 = MLE
Tier 6 = Vet min

There is no way Kyrie belongs in the supermax discussion. Max extension, maybe but the team have already peaked, unless there are major changes within. Either within the coaching system or supporting casts.
I really have no idea what your point is. Should we let Kyrie walk because you don't think he's worth the contract?

Your tiers are nice, but for the fact that the CBA already has an eligibility criteria for the super-max:
1) Named to an All-NBA (first, second, or third) team in the previous season, or in two of the last three seasons.
2) Named Defensive Player of the Year in the previous season, or two of the last three seasons.
3) Named NBA MVP in one of the last three seasons.

Is it better for teams to just let their players walk because they're not MVP caliber guys? Especially small-market teams, which is one of the primary reasons as to why the super-max was even created? That is just terrible asset management.

Literally every single fan should want us to resign Kyrie, even if it's just so that we can trade him later when his value would be higher (as a contracted player). It makes literally no sense to lose him for nothing.

Depends on how much you're going to sign him. Nobody was willing to take John Wall or Westbrook's massive contracts. Definitely nobody would take Gobert's supermax contract if he ever signed for one. Even teams were hesitant to take Carmelo's contract until the Hawks bought him out. Conley's contract now is not much painful to absorb anymore because it only have 2 years left.

If you are going to sign Kyrie for 5 year/300 million contract and they bounce on 2nd round again, welcome to mediocrity because there's no way to improve the roster now that the cap is crippled. And teams will be more hesitant to trade for him because of the steep price tag.

He's no Lebron, KD or Lebron or even Steph. We can easily develop or find cheaper pgs who could develop into a star. We don't even need to develop him into a franchise player, just good enough player that will fit into the team. We can just simply replace him with role players who could possibly boost the development of Brown and Tatum if ever Danny decided to go with that route.

Talented point guards are dimes a dozens in this league. The return for Rondo when we traded him wasn't exactly much of a haul either even though it is part of what leads into IT and Kyrie trade.

Trading for AD before signing him would be the best move if you want to keep him. Otherwise, find a buyer before signing him then trade him later, ala Blaker Griffin.  Cap flexibility is more important than retaining a not-good enough talent/fit.

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Depends on how much you're going to sign him. Nobody was willing to take John Wall or Westbrook's massive contracts. Definitely nobody would take Gobert's supermax contract if he ever signed for one. Even teams were hesitant to take Carmelo's contract until the Hawks bought him out. Conley's contract now is not much painful to absorb anymore because it only have 2 years left.

If you are going to sign Kyrie for 5 year/300 million contract and they bounce on 2nd round again, welcome to mediocrity because there's no way to improve the roster now that the cap is crippled. And teams will be more hesitant to trade for him because of the steep price tag.

He's no Lebron, KD or Lebron or even Steph. We can easily develop or find cheaper pgs who could develop into a star. We don't even need to develop him into a franchise player, just good enough player that will fit into the team. We can just simply replace him with role players who could possibly boost the development of Brown and Tatum if ever Danny decided to go with that route.

Talented point guards are dimes a dozens in this league. The return for Rondo when we traded him wasn't exactly much of a haul either even though it is part of what leads into IT and Kyrie trade.

Trading for AD before signing him would be the best move if you want to keep him. Otherwise, find a buyer before signing him then trade him later, ala Blaker Griffin.  Cap flexibility is more important than retaining a not-good enough talent/fit.

Or, you know, the Cs will sign him for the max that they're allowed, which is: 5 years / $188M. While that it is still a lot, the Cs benefit quite a bit (if Kyrie re-signs) in that their star FA was drafted by another team and traded during his 2nd contract. Guys like Lillard, Gobert, and Kemba are all now eligible for the supermax. Heck, I read that Gobert will be eligible to sign next year for 5 years / $247M - now that is crazy!

Anyway, don't worry - it is definitely in the Cs best interest to sign Kyrie - without hesitation - to his max contract. He is still young and that contract won't be the albatross that others are proving (or going to prove) to be.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:23:30 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Let’s paint a picture:

You’re DA. Kyrie is still on vacation and no one in his team is in the mood to discuss anything anytime before July. Sources tell you though that KD is likely to leave GSW.

*brrrrrriiing*

While eating a salad, your phone rings and you find out NOP is inclined to move on from AD and go young. You call up David Griffin who pretty much says that he’s moving to build around Zion and wants both Tatum and Brown for AD. You say no and after some negotiation, the asking price has lowered to either Tatum, filler, and picks or Brown+Smart, filler, and some picks.

Griffin doesn’t want this nego to extend further in the offseason to avoid his franchise being dragged thru a media circus and you get the sense that if you drag this into July, his asking price will probably go up.

Which deal do you make, in principle?

I think something was missed in your scenario. Because of his contract, Marcus Smart has to be included in either scenario to help match salaries. Lets put it like this, Marcus is more filler because of his contract, than talent matching. So it basically comes down to Tatum or Brown for New Orleans, because Smart and multiple picks will need to be included in either case.

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The correct answer to this is whatever it takes to land AD before FA. With AD in hand, I find it unlikely that Kyrie leaves (you know, that 2nd team all NBA caliber player who just put up 24/5/7 this year with great efficiency).

I know everyone likes Tatum/Brown/Smart. I do too (especially Brown). But if giving up 2/3 of those guys to land AD to to pair him with Kyrie long term, you have to make that deal. While I think those guys might become all star players, I don’t think they will ever come close to the caliber player that AD is. This guy is the closest thing to prime KG (offensively and defensively). You need to pull the trigger on it. I think Ainge his hating himself for not pulling the trigger on Leonard. We are seeing the impact on what that kind of player can have for your team.

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
agree with above

what ever it takes

rebuild the team around him......

keeping Smart would be nice for a vet voice

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
If you have Kyrie and AD on the team, Brown and Smart are smoother fits next to them than Tatum would be. Brown and Smart are versatile defenders who can more easily fit a role than Tatum, whose best attributes, his scoring, can't be used to his full potential as he'll be a third option.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If Kyrie stays, I prefer trading Tatum.

If Kyrie leaves, I would probably rather trade Brown+Smart.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We are not in position to take a risk anymore and to reject Griffin's requests. Maybe there won't be a second call. If he wants both, give him both. As simple as that. We still got Hayward, Smart, Horford, Baynes and hopefuly Irving.
Danny has to go big now.

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 10:14:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We are not in position to take a risk anymore and to reject Griffin's requests. Maybe there won't be a second call. If he wants both, give him both. As simple as that. We still got Hayward, Smart, Horford, Baynes and hopefuly Irving.
Danny has to go big now.

I guess, but if NOP has a favorite in Tatum, then quantity from other teams isn't going to beat that #1. I still see Tatum, Smart, Yabu and picks as the deal. I even see a decent chance at keeping the MEM pick.

DA has to 'go big', but it is still easy enough to beat out any other team's deal if they believe Tatum is the main prize.

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If Kyrie stays, I prefer trading Tatum.

If Kyrie leaves, I would probably rather trade Brown+Smart.

I’m in this camp as well. I wish Kyrie wasn’t holding us “hostage” until the moratorium ends
- LilRip

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I just got through listening to Cowherd, the LA talk guy. He offered his views on just where the top FAs are going.
Taken with a grain of salt. Typical big market media stuff.

Naturally, the Lakers get a couple. Boogy Cousins and Butler. The Knicks get a couple. Durant and Davis--traded for their #3. The Nets get Irving.  The Celtics get coal.

Media opinions have become more common than anatomical orifices.

Granted the Celtics looked as disappointing this year as the Red Sox currently are. But have Tatum's and Brown's stock gone down that much? Doubt it. Everybody knows Tatum's touches went down this year with Hayward and Irving coming back from injury. And Irving was given the bums rush with the NY media trying to pry him to the Knicks (now, for some reason, to the Nets?)  And the dysfunction on the Celtics with Hayward and Stevens has maybe taken some luster off Stevens.

I would guess Ainge is concerned. Is Stevens still a coach everbody wants to play for? Does he need some veteran NBA presence on the coaching staff?  Can he still pull off a deal for Davis and sign Irving? That would seem to be his priority. We'll see. But Ainge is still holding the cards. And things are much worse with the Lakers organization. Cowherd was honest enough to admit that. As for the Knicks, that #3 isn't going to get Davis--not if Ainge has anything to say. Durant? He'd be nuts to go to the Knicks at his age when he has it so easy with the Warriors.