Author Topic: Woj: "Kyrie Day to Day"  (Read 5050 times)

Woj: "Kyrie Day to Day"
« on: February 10, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Great news.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
Following Following @wojespn
More
Kyrie Irving’s right knee sprain isn’t serious and expected to be day-to-day on a return, league source tells ESPN.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Woj: "Kyrie Day to Day"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Rest him until the end of ASB.

Let's see what these young kids are made of in Philadelphia without their leading-scorer.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:25:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Nice!

I still hope even if he's ready to go Tuesday that he doesn't play the All Star Game and rests. We absolutely need a healthy Kyrie to have any chance at making a deep playoff run.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Great news.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
Following Following @wojespn
More
Kyrie Irving’s right knee sprain isn’t serious and expected to be day-to-day on a return, league source tells ESPN.

Fantastic news. The next few games will make or break our playoff seeding.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Kyrie is a 25 yr old with numerous DNP for knee issues. He has had multiple knee surgeries. This is not a player you want to spend a supermax contract on. Not when your other supermax are a player returning from serious ankle injury and a player over his prime years.

Danny has a tough job ahead.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 04:14:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kyrie is a 25 yr old with numerous DNP for knee issues. He has had multiple knee surgeries. This is not a player you want to spend a supermax contract on. Not when your other supermax are a player returning from serious ankle injury and a player over his prime years.

But if they don't, other teams will be lining up to do just that.  So you're absolutely correct regarding what Ainge has to work through.  Maybe though you can do a 2 or 3 year deal so both sides can keep their options open. No one seems to to want to commit to more than 3 years (actually 2 + an option) these days anyway.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 04:14:49 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

For the millionth time, Kyrie Irving is not eligible for a super max. In order to get that you must play for the same team as your rookie deals.

He’s going to sign roughly a 5 year 180 million deal and it’s going to be worth every penny. You don’t let people like Kyrie walk over money.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

For the millionth time, Kyrie Irving is not eligible for a super max. In order to get that you must play for the same team as your rookie deals.

He’s going to sign roughly a 5 year 180 million deal and it’s going to be worth every penny. You don’t let people like Kyrie walk over money.

Agreed. What astounds me is I think some people are taking for granted just how good Kyrie really is. Pay attention to him on the court. His ball handling is phenomenal and his court awareness is off the charts. He literally runs circles around his defender. He puts on a show like I've never seen and it truly is a pleasure watching him play.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Agreed. What astounds me is I think some people are taking for granted just how good Kyrie really is. Pay attention to him on the court. His ball handling is phenomenal and his court awareness is off the charts. He literally runs circles around his defender. He puts on a show like I've never seen and it truly is a pleasure watching him play.

No question he is by far the best ball handler in the history of the NBA. That is a fact. What is also a fact is that he is not durable. You have to decide what you want. A showman or championships. He cannot win you championships if he is not playing. It is clear you have to manage his minutes. Because of that you cannot pay him the max because you have to pay his backup that will keep him healthy.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 04:48:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

No question he is by far the best ball handler in the history of the NBA. That is a fact. What is also a fact is that he is not durable. You have to decide what you want. A showman or championships. He cannot win you championships if he is not playing. It is clear you have to manage his minutes. Because of that you cannot pay him the max because you have to pay his backup that will keep him healthy.

I take my chances and give him the max. You're not going to find a better point guard in the league than Kyrie and because we can offer him the most money, it's in the team's best interest to keep him. He also suffered his share of injuries in Cleveland but he also played a large role in the Cavs winning a championship.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

I take my chances and give him the max. You're not going to find a better point guard in the league than Kyrie and because we can offer him the most money, it's in the team's best interest to keep him. He also suffered his share of injuries in Cleveland but he also played a large role in the Cavs winning a championship.

He sure did that in Cleveland, but guess what when he did not play, they did not win. Celtics must find a way to keep him on the court. Pay him, but get expert opinion from the doctors on how much his knees can take. His issues are his knees or knee. When you pay an asset 180,000,000 you need to protect the asset.  Maybe Kyrie should even be counseled about some of his ankle breaking moves.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

We don't have any supermax players on our roster.

At the end of the day, Kyrie will get a max contract. If not from Boston, then a slew of teams will be lining up to offer it to him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

We don't have any supermax players on our roster.

At the end of the day, Kyrie will get a max contract. If not from Boston, then a slew of teams will be lining up to offer it to him.

...and the team that pays that should do its due diligence so they know what they are getting,

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 06:40:26 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I have been saying this for a long time. Spend your money on bigger, stronger players.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 07:45:08 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Kyrie does not have knee problems like Chris Paul.

The only major knee surgery Kyrie had was when he got injured in the 2015 Finals.

Last season's knee surgery was a follow up to that 2015 surgery.

Other than that, Kyrie's only other major injury was back in college when missed the majority of the college season due to a toe injury.

So it's not true that Kyrie is not durable.

Ainge would've traded Kyrie, at the trade deadline, if the Celts had no plans of giving him a max contract after this season.

What Ainge and the Celts are envisioning is a tandem of Kyrie and AD for many years to come.