Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 393903 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #555 on: November 12, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I know its early but Raptors showed that Lakers is weak against teams with multiple wing defenders who can switch and recover quickly. AKA small ball works against them.

Sorry, but this "small ball" needs to die a quick death.

Small ball is a clear path to a dead end.

The opposing team will go big and will eat the team playing small ball alive for dinner.

Warriors say hi.

Warriors also played with big men like McGee, Pachulia, Bogut, Cousins, Ezeli, Jason Thompson, Kevon Looney, Varajeo.

The idea that the Warriors got by without size is very misleading

A few things about that: 1) Ezeli was abused by Lebron the year the Cavs beat them. Bringing him up actually works against you.
2) They did stick with a traditional big for large parts of the game, but when they had to go on a run, or in crunch time, they went small-ball against teams. This was, at least partially, because it would be too much to expect Green, Iggy, Barnes, or Durant to match up with a big for the whole game.
3) Many of the guys you listed were just guys--placeholders on the court until Kerr could get to his small-ball lineup.
4) Cousins, the most dominate big man on that list, notably hurt their offense and defense.

« Reply #556 on: November 12, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I know its early but Raptors showed that Lakers is weak against teams with multiple wing defenders who can switch and recover quickly. AKA small ball works against them.

The opposing team will go big and will eat the team playing small ball alive for dinner.

Warriors say hi.

Warriors also played with big men like McGee, Pachulia, Bogut, Cousins, Ezeli, Jason Thompson, Kevon Looney, Varajeo.

A few things about that: 1) Ezeli was abused by Lebron the year the Cavs beat them. Bringing him up actually works against you.
2) They did stick with a traditional big for large parts of the game, but when they had to go on a run, or in crunch time, they went small-ball against teams. This was, at least partially, because it would be too much to expect Green, Iggy, Barnes, or Durant to match up with a big for the whole game.
3) Many of the guys you listed were just guys--placeholders on the court until Kerr could get to his small-ball lineup.
4) Cousins, the most dominate big man on that list, notably hurt their offense and defense.

And if I recall, the Cavs also had Love and Thompson who did a pretty good job holding their own inside the perimeter.

Also, wasn't Mozgov a key part of that season's team or is this around the time they stopped playing him?

« Reply #557 on: November 12, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Small ball isn't going away if you got guys who can shoot.
I mean we saw what the Celtics were able to do to Embiid with Horford.

You want 4 players who can guard on the perimeter now-a-days and 4 guys who can shoot on the court. I don't think that's going away.

If anything what is going to happen is big men will start shooting enough to enable them to be on the court. That will be how teams "go big again".

« Reply #558 on: November 12, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

You want 4 players who can guard on the perimeter now-a-days and 4 guys who can shoot on the court. I don't think that's going away.

If anything what is going to happen is big men will start shooting enough to enable them to be on the court. That will be how teams "go big again".

Agree.  The game has been evolving that way for sometime now.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #559 on: November 12, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Warriors say hi.

And if I recall, the Cavs also had Love and Thompson who did a pretty good job holding their own inside the perimeter.

Also, wasn't Mozgov a key part of that season's team or is this around the time they stopped playing him?

I don’t think you’re recalling correctly.  Love had a really bad Finals, and was pretty much a non-factor in the Cavs wins.  He didn’t play in Game 3 (Cavs won by 30).  In game 5 he had 2 points and 3 rebounds in 33 minutes.  Game 6 he only played 12 minutes.  Game 7 was his best performance in their four wins, scoring 9 points and getting 14 rebounds in 30 minutes.  Love did not hold is own.

« Reply #560 on: November 12, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
That LeBron James "Sprite" Christmas commercial is simply awesome.

« Reply #561 on: November 12, 2019, 01:06:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Kinda makes me wonder, if a guy like Durant was born 30 years earlier would he have just been used as a skinny center and taught post moves growing up?

« Reply #562 on: November 12, 2019, 01:50:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Kinda makes me wonder, if a guy like Durant was born 30 years earlier would he have just been used as a skinny center and taught post moves growing up?

Almost certainly.

« Reply #563 on: November 12, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Almost certainly.

He was.

George Ice Gervin.

« Reply #564 on: November 12, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Almost certainly.

He was.

George Ice Gervin.

I don't know. KD has what, 3-4 inches on Gervin?  Durant was 6 feet tall already in middle school.  If he was brought up in the 70s/80s, he would've seemingly been pigeonholed by a coach or series of coaches into a center position which was certainly treated & coached up differently.  I'd have to assume his game would've evolved differently and he'd have turned into a post player. 

« Reply #565 on: November 12, 2019, 08:00:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Simmons doing his standard big stats against a bottom feeder routines... god i can't stand that guy. Cavs only down 6 at half though.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:06:33 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #566 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Simmons doing his standard big stats against a bottom feeder routines... god i can't stand that guy. Cavs only down 6 at half though.
It's beautiful knowing that once again his inability to actually develop as a player will disable their offence come playoff time though! I always keep that in mind when faced with his insufferable nature.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #567 on: November 12, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
4th Q, Cleveland up on Phili!!

« Reply #568 on: November 12, 2019, 08:58:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

This would be absolutely amazing if they lost this game.

« Reply #569 on: November 12, 2019, 09:06:07 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

This would be absolutely amazing if they lost this game.
It is the only reason I’m watching ! Hoping to see the sixers lose.
Almost as fun as the lakers.