Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 393958 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #615 on: November 13, 2019, 02:06:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Trae Young with 42 and 11 to beat the Denver Nuggets! Come on guys this guy is great! :D

Even if he turns out "great", he won't be anything resembling Doncic, no matter how bad you wish it.

Sssseessh just celebrate the fact that he had a great game. They're both really good players and we should be enjoying both. Last years draft has been awesome.
^this. People might think that I'm hating on Doncic simply because I disagree with the Bird comparisons, but I've been enjoying his play a lot ever since his great rookie season (looking back, my rich man's Gallo comparison prior to the 2018 draft was absolutely horrible LOL). I think he'll be one of the best offensive players ever when it's all said and done, just more in the mould of your traditional offensive quarterbacks like LeBron/Jordan/Magic.
Ha, try beating me thinking Exum was the next Penny Hardaway. That might have been my Aussie bias, but still. Jeesh...
To be fair Exum was really good until he tore his knee ligaments like 3 times lol.
Yeah, it's pretty lame the way his career has turned out. Ah well.

My dream of a Mills-Exum-Ingles-Simmons-Baynes starting 5 at the Olympics may never happen :(
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #616 on: November 13, 2019, 02:48:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Trae Young with 42 and 11 to beat the Denver Nuggets! Come on guys this guy is great! :D

Even if he turns out "great", he won't be anything resembling Doncic, no matter how bad you wish it.

Sssseessh just celebrate the fact that he had a great game. They're both really good players and we should be enjoying both. Last years draft has been awesome.
^this. People might think that I'm hating on Doncic simply because I disagree with the Bird comparisons, but I've been enjoying his play a lot ever since his great rookie season (looking back, my rich man's Gallo comparison prior to the 2018 draft was absolutely horrible LOL). I think he'll be one of the best offensive players ever when it's all said and done, just more in the mould of your traditional offensive quarterbacks like LeBron/Jordan/Magic.
Ha, try beating me thinking Exum was the next Penny Hardaway. That might have been my Aussie bias, but still. Jeesh...
To be fair Exum was really good until he tore his knee ligaments like 3 times lol.

My dream of a Mills-Exum-Ingles-Simmons-Baynes starting 5 at the Olympics may never happen :(
Isn't Exum still good enough to play for Team Australia? I know he's a fringe rotation player, but he can still be a serviceable guy for non USA teams. But hey at least you guys have offensive superstar Aron "Tippy-Toe" Baynes to root for with his early 30s renaissance!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #617 on: November 13, 2019, 03:11:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Isn't Exum still good enough to play for Team Australia? I know he's a fringe rotation player, but he can still be a serviceable guy for non USA teams. But hey at least you guys have offensive superstar Aron "Tippy-Toe" Baynes to root for with his early 30s renaissance!
He's good enough, but I'm not sure if he gets a start ahead of Delly or Maker to be honest. That's assuming he's healthy.

Don't even know if Simmons will ever bother too, lol.

« Reply #618 on: November 13, 2019, 03:28:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

He's good enough, but I'm not sure if he gets a start ahead of Delly or Maker to be honest. That's assuming he's healthy.

Don't even know if Simmons will ever bother too, lol.
Oh agreed about Simmons lol. And hm I'd say his defense should land him the starting SG job, you do need a decent guard/wing defender when you're playing Pringles and Mills on the perimeter :laugh:. I'd probably start Mills/Exum/Pringles/Maker/Baynes if Simmons doesn't play.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #619 on: November 13, 2019, 03:52:31 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Aww poor Kyrie couldn’t win it with the go-ahead in Utah.
One could argue our boy Baynes is carrying his team much better than Mr Mood-swing

« Reply #620 on: November 13, 2019, 04:03:59 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I noticed ya'll only mention Kyrie when he loses lol. It was the same thing Cav fans did when LBJ left. They would only post about him when he lost, but wholly avoid LBJ topics during his success lol. They would flame me for pointing it out, mods would even threaten banning me, so I just backed off lol.

I guess it is something people are not wholly over. Having a great talent, but it not working out hurts (Trust me, I know). As humans, folks want justification. Want to see them fail; want to see their pain, because it justifies them leaving.

Well, I am just gonna say the same thing I told Cav fans. Let it.......It takes too much energy to hate. Cream always rises to the top. Greatness, is great more often than not. We all know BKN will mostly likely get one ring. Then what? Avoid Kyrie topics all summer? Or will you give him props? We knew LBJ would get a ring, then what? Keep hating on him? For how long? At some point, you got to let it go......

I mean, the guy was averaging 30, 2nd in scoring. He is going to have off nights lol. Come on, are you gonna bag on the kid after every bad game. Come one, lol. You guys are 1st, why beat up on a guy whom isn't? It comes off as sour grapes because you guys are waaaaay up here, but still going down to kick a guy who finally had an off night.

Anyways, we made NYK have a press conference after falling to us. They must think we are really bad lol. Or losing to the Cavs is rock-bottom. Are we that bad lol? LBJ & Ky are gone but [dang]. That was the ultimate panic button if I ever saw one.

No, I am not beating up on NY, it just comes off as we suck so bad, that the upper heads had to address it, ouch..

It's not much hate as much as proving people wrong. Nets will never win a ring with Kyrie. People gushing over his scoring, but let's not forget his other negatives. He's not very good without the ball and seems to be moody that affects his motor at times. His scoring doesn't seems to translate well to W's as the Nets record suggest. Kyrie doesn't elevate his teammates and I laughed when I hear Nets broadcast talk about his so-called leadership.

Well, I think it is.

However, you guys have zero reason to hate on anyone. You are the #1 team in the NBA. Kyrie is currently +21, highest in the game with a big lead at the half. Nobody is talking about that. However, I guarantee if Utah comes storming back & Ky starts to play like crap, you guys will start to mention him.

All I am saying is, with the way you guys are playing, it just comes off as petty. You guys are on top right now. It it wasn't hate, you guys would keep the same energy when he does well, as you do when he plays sub-par.

As for BKN, they have two top 10 players, they will win eventually.

As for my team; I am proud of the way they played, even in defeat. This is true progress.

Anyway, good night, good-luck BOS, unless you are playing the Cavs hehe.
We have every right to be angry with him, it's not being petty, it's more of a "told you so". He stole two chances at a Finals appearance from us and apparently kept our young core from evolving. He did not play within the team concept and that's why we lost vs Milwaukee in the playoffs.

Oh, and Brooklyn will never win a ring, not with the Bucks, Sixers and especially us standing in the way.

« Reply #621 on: November 13, 2019, 04:34:42 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I noticed ya'll only mention Kyrie when he loses lol. It was the same thing Cav fans did when LBJ left. They would only post about him when he lost, but wholly avoid LBJ topics during his success lol. They would flame me for pointing it out, mods would even threaten banning me, so I just backed off lol.

I guess it is something people are not wholly over. Having a great talent, but it not working out hurts (Trust me, I know). As humans, folks want justification. Want to see them fail; want to see their pain, because it justifies them leaving.

Well, I am just gonna say the same thing I told Cav fans. Let it.......It takes too much energy to hate. Cream always rises to the top. Greatness, is great more often than not. We all know BKN will mostly likely get one ring. Then what? Avoid Kyrie topics all summer? Or will you give him props? We knew LBJ would get a ring, then what? Keep hating on him? For how long? At some point, you got to let it go......

I mean, the guy was averaging 30, 2nd in scoring. He is going to have off nights lol. Come on, are you gonna bag on the kid after every bad game. Come one, lol. You guys are 1st, why beat up on a guy whom isn't? It comes off as sour grapes because you guys are waaaaay up here, but still going down to kick a guy who finally had an off night.

Anyways, we made NYK have a press conference after falling to us. They must think we are really bad lol. Or losing to the Cavs is rock-bottom. Are we that bad lol? LBJ & Ky are gone but [dang]. That was the ultimate panic button if I ever saw one.

No, I am not beating up on NY, it just comes off as we suck so bad, that the upper heads had to address it, ouch..

It is the same phenomena that poster "Rondo9" spoke about it relation to the effect the Joel Embiid has over Andre Drummond---the "Real Estate" Effect. Except in THIS case - Kyrie Irving has Real Estate in the minds of a good number of posters on this blog.

BOTH of these talented players should invest in Real Estate stock. They seem to have a knack for it.

As for ME personally I wish people would just let it go - as far as Kyrie.

« Reply #622 on: November 13, 2019, 05:37:05 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

It is the same phenomena that poster "Rondo9" spoke about it relation to the effect the Joel Embiid has over Andre Drummond---the "Real Estate" Effect. Except in THIS case - Kyrie Irving has Real Estate in the minds of a good number of posters on this blog.

BOTH of these talented players should invest in Real Estate stock. They seem to have a knack for it.

I don't have other hobbies. I work and obsess over the Celtics.

I take pleasure in seeing Kyrie struggle if that bothers you I own real estate in your head. I'm starting to take pleasure in that as well 😜
ok fine

« Reply #623 on: November 13, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I take pleasure in seeing Kyrie struggle if that bothers you I own real estate in your head. I'm starting to take pleasure in that as well 😜

It bothers me none - trust me on that. Instead, I find it straight up HILARIOUS that there are posters here STILL agonizing over Kyrie Irving leaving.

So what if he had a "Secret Lover" in BKN that he was fawning over last season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2UXqFo0DY

Some in this fanbase come off to ME as jilted lovers...left at the door of the Grand Ball while Kyrie Irving chose his Durant and BKN date....we should admit, though - Durant is QUITE the catch........

For a fanbase that is IN MY OPINION - spoiled over the success of The Red Sox...The Patriots...The Bruins AND of course BOS - to STILL be commenting on Kyrie Irving ESPECIALLY when he loses is simply funny to me.

Who needs Saturday Night Live when I get much of my joy and laughter from Celticsstrong?

« Reply #624 on: November 13, 2019, 07:19:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It bothers me none - trust me on that. Instead, I find it straight up HILARIOUS that there are posters here STILL agonizing over Kyrie Irving leaving.

Some in this fanbase come off to ME as jilted lovers...left at the door of the Grand Ball while Kyrie Irving chose his Durant and BKN date....we should admit, though - Durant is QUITE the catch........

For a fanbase that is IN MY OPINION - spoiled over the success of The Red Sox...The Patriots...The Bruins AND of course BOS - to STILL be commenting on Kyrie Irving ESPECIALLY when he loses is simply funny to me.

Who needs Saturday Night Live when I get much of my joy and laughter from Celticsstrong?
SNL isn't nearly as entertaining as watching Kyrie lose. And I was a big Kyrie fan - perhaps blindly so

« Reply #625 on: November 13, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yeah, I don't quite get the enjoyment in the misery of Kyrie.

Other than the fact that he reneged on his promise to re-sign with the Celtics, I really have no ill feelings toward him.

I focus on our team instead and the guys we have now.

« Reply #626 on: November 13, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
It's entirely rational if you're Celtics fan to root against the Nets and Kyrie this year. It's no less rational than rooting for a particular team with constantly changing players and coaches, just because you grew up in their city (which is exactly what I do). This is sports, not the Harvard Law Review. It's supposed to be fun and I don't plan on taking it more seriously than this. I just don't want to personally attack the guy, that's all.

« Reply #627 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:39 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Yeah, I don't quite get the enjoyment in the misery of Kyrie.

Other than the fact that he reneged on his promise to re-sign with the Celtics, I really have no ill feelings toward him.

I focus on our team instead and the guys we have now.

I have never understood the concept of the rational fan. Sports franchises must really hate those. I mean we have grown men making hundreds of millions of dollars playing games that others will play for free, I submit that the only reason this is possible is because of irrationality of fans. Therefore looking for the rational fan is not to the best interest of the players, not even the one you are trying to protect.

« Reply #628 on: November 13, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'm glad he's gone, but I hope Kyrie loses every game. He's a malcontent, and things will end poorly for him in NJ, just as they did here. That we're a better team without a remarkable talent like him shows what a detriment he was to the Celtics.

Also hope Al does too. No personal animosity towards him, if he had gone almost anywhere else, I'd feel differently. But screw the 6ers.

« Reply #629 on: November 13, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Expecting sports fans to be rational is a tall order. 

Once you get over that, the dislike of certain players & teams by people becomes much more understandable.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team