Author Topic: Raptors (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) Round 2 Game 6 9/9/20  (Read 60495 times)

Re: Raptors (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) Round 2 Game 6 9/9/20
« Reply #1365 on: September 10, 2020, 12:13:55 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This offseason, the league needs to review the flagrant one rule for excessive contact, if said contact was inadvertent. For instance:

Theis elbow on Lowry in game 1 (I believe), where Theis was moving from side to side, while his arms were in a defensive position. The contact was purely accidental, but a flagrant one was called on Theis and resulted in a free throw.

Last night, Tatum drove into the lane, and the natural motion of his arm accidentally hit a Toronto defender.

I know there's one or two more, because Toronto is constantly complaining to the refs. I know the Celtics complain too, but Toronto seems to take it to another level.
And somehow allow a challenge on a missed foul that cost us the game.

« Reply #1366 on: September 10, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
This offseason, the league needs to review the flagrant one rule for excessive contact, if said contact was inadvertent. For instance:

Theis elbow on Lowry in game 1 (I believe), where Theis was moving from side to side, while his arms were in a defensive position. The contact was purely accidental, but a flagrant one was called on Theis and resulted in a free throw.

Last night, Tatum drove into the lane, and the natural motion of his arm accidentally hit a Toronto defender.

I know there's one or two more, because Toronto is constantly complaining to the refs. I know the Celtics complain too, but Toronto seems to take it to another level.

I think it was game 5 (which we won so this is moot) but I believe Theis got kicked in the upper chest when a raptor swung on the rim, his momentum pushing him.  I remember thinking if the elbow to the face was flagrant, why wasn't a kick to the chest?

« Reply #1367 on: September 10, 2020, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Also, maybe allow one challenge per half. Or if a coach was successful on his first challenge, he has the option to keep that timeout (current rule), or has the option for another coaching challenge (will still need a timeout to use it). Limited to two challenges per game, if successful only after the first challenge.

« Reply #1368 on: September 10, 2020, 12:30:39 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
whats the take from talking heads on the sports networks and interwebs?

Any comments about the refs?

« Reply #1369 on: September 10, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

I think it was game 5 (which we won so this is moot) but I believe Theis got kicked in the upper chest when a raptor swung on the rim, his momentum pushing him.  I remember thinking if the elbow to the face was flagrant, why wasn't a kick to the chest?

Speaking of Theis, I don't recall ever seeing a player disrespected more than him by the refs. Can anyone come up with another player that the refs treated like this? It's literally an ongoing joke on the Celtics broadcast every night.

« Reply #1370 on: September 10, 2020, 12:35:46 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

I can't stomach the idea of listening to sports radio today because of how last night went, so I couldn't say.

« Reply #1371 on: September 10, 2020, 01:31:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think the Celts missed two chances too many to put away the diehard Raptors. Game 3 and yesterday. Its like fighting Rocky. Eventually cant punch back anymore

Not hopeful for tomorrow

« Reply #1372 on: September 10, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Speaking of Theis, I don't recall ever seeing a player disrespected more than him by the refs. Can anyone come up with another player that the refs treated like this? It's literally an ongoing joke on the Celtics broadcast every night.

You should read some of the comments on this game thread. Ppl calling for his head on a spike.

« Reply #1373 on: September 10, 2020, 01:35:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
 Whenever things get rough

Big time players like Lebron or Leonard will dunk in someone face, to show they are in charge

I was hoping to see this at least once from Tatum late in a game in this series

Maybe it will happen tomorrow. 

« Reply #1374 on: September 10, 2020, 01:37:26 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
https://twitter.com/celtics_col/status/1303881504980897794?s=21

How is this not a foul?????

I don't know, but Toronto's foul on the lob at the end of regulation should have been a shooting foul too.  There were bad calls both ways.  Maybe not in balance through our view, but still, if they call that a shooting foul on the lob it's likely ballgame right there.

I don't think there should have been a foul at all on that lob. Both players have a right to that ball.

OK.  But they did rule it a foul and he was clearly attempting to dunk the ball.  If it was called a foul, it should have been a shooting foul.

Refs make different calls based on the game situation and that's a little maddening.  What's even more maddening is that they don't do that consistently either.

Hard to call a shooting foul if the player who’s “shooting” Is trying to receive a pass and never gets possession.

« Reply #1375 on: September 10, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I don't know, but Toronto's foul on the lob at the end of regulation should have been a shooting foul too.  There were bad calls both ways.  Maybe not in balance through our view, but still, if they call that a shooting foul on the lob it's likely ballgame right there.

Tatum on Anunoby? How could that be a shooting foul when the contact occurred before he received the ball? If anything, no time should have came off the clock. Bad refereeing as usual though.

How they swallowed their whistle on the Kemba play is beyond me. It wasn’t a ticky-tack foul. He got whacked right across the arm. And right in front of the baseline ref? Yuck.

An alley-oop counts as a shot taken and it's pretty much just a catch and dunk.  He was in the act of doing an alley-oop.  With the amount of crap that they allow to count as shots when a whistle is blown and guys just throw the ball at the basket to get to the line (though they've cut down on those calls, they're still infuriating), you'd think intent would have more to do with it.  He clearly went up with the intent to dunk, got his hands on the ball in a good position to do so and had his opportunity impeded. 
Yup

« Reply #1376 on: September 10, 2020, 01:53:57 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Tatum on Anunoby? How could that be a shooting foul when the contact occurred before he received the ball? If anything, no time should have came off the clock. Bad refereeing as usual though.

How they swallowed their whistle on the Kemba play is beyond me. It wasn’t a ticky-tack foul. He got whacked right across the arm. And right in front of the baseline ref? Yuck.

An alley-oop counts as a shot taken and it's pretty much just a catch and dunk.  He was in the act of doing an alley-oop.  With the amount of crap that they allow to count as shots when a whistle is blown and guys just throw the ball at the basket to get to the line (though they've cut down on those calls, they're still infuriating), you'd think intent would have more to do with it.  He clearly went up with the intent to dunk, got his hands on the ball in a good position to do so and had his opportunity impeded.

Again man, the foul occurred before he had established possession of the ball. It doesn't matter if he's in the action of performing an alley-oop, if you don't have possession of the ball prior to a foul it can't be a shooting foul.

« Reply #1377 on: September 10, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Again man, the foul occurred before he had established possession of the ball. It doesn't matter if he's in the action of performing an alley-oop, if you don't have possession of the ball prior to a foul it can't be a shooting foul.

Yeh.  I get it, and I'm glad it worked in our favor, even though we didn't take advantage of it, but I think it's a stupid interpretation.  He was in the act of "shooting" in this case even though he didn't have the ball. The foul prevented him from being able to "shoot" aka, dunk the thing.

Anyhow...I don't have a leg to stand on, so I'll drop the argument.  Just doesn't seem logical to me.
Yup

« Reply #1378 on: September 10, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Most game 7s the refs swallow their whistles, and let them play. I hope that is the case tomorrow night.

« Reply #1379 on: September 10, 2020, 04:58:21 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375

There's a lot of comments about the refs on the Raptors forum...unsurprisingly they're unhappy about the refs too, complaining about calls that the refs missed like Smart flopping, etc. Eye of the beholder and all that :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D