Author Topic: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?  (Read 28063 times)

Re: Did Lochte and the other swimmers make up a Robbery?
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sponsorship down the drain

Only things Lotche has left is to win .

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2016, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

At his age his international competition career is over. There is no winning left for him to do.

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

At his age his international competition career is over. There is no winning left for him to do.

Maybe he'll try to resurrect his reality TV career.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Maybe he'll try to resurrect his reality TV career.

He should have his own show on the travel network. World traveler expert guide by Lochte.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Glad he's getting what he deserves.

He is a man-child who doesn't seem to realize that his actions can impact other people, and even nations; hopefully this will be a nice dose of reality for him, and he'll learn from his mistakes.

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/

Story seems to confirm what I thought, the Rio Police made a big stink about this to cover-up some shady actions that happened.

That's not at all what all sources indicate. Everyone pretty much agrees, even the US, that the US swimmers, particularly Lochte, when on a drunken rampage and vandalized the place, and lied to cover it up. The police and security at the gas station acted very reasonably considering the situation. If it had happened here in the US with Brazilian athletes, they would have been treated far more harshly.

I get that these things happen with young guys, but as other people said, Lochte is in his 30's, its absurd for him to be doing things like this.
"a drunken rampage".  Lochte apparently pulled down a loosely hung advertisement and broke it.  A couple of the swimmers went pee behind the building.  There is no evidence of any kind that the swimmers even entered the restroom let alone damaged anything in it.  The translator/witness actually confirms that the only damage referenced by the armed guards was to the sign. 

Clearly Lochte was drunk and clearly he broke a sign, but the Rio police absolutely embellished what happened and those same police basically extorted 11,000 from Feigen for a crime that he didn't commit (Feigen never filed a police report so he couldn't have filed a false one).

Did the brazilian security guards take all their money? No. They asked for fair compensation for the damage they did to the place, knowing full well those guys were never coming back if they left without paying. Did the american swimmers say "no police"? Yes they did. If they though they were being robbed they would have demanded to have the police there, and you know, filed a report.

Different country different laws. You can't call it extortion. When in another country you have to respect their laws just as visitors to our country have to respect our laws. Their police were actually much more laid back about the whole thing than our law enforcement would have been.

If they were really 'robbed' why didn't they actually, you know, file a police report? They were wasted, busted up the place, p---ed everywhere, and paid and lied to cover it up. The brazilian security and gas station staff were ok with that until Lochte lied to his mom and she went to the media. That's life, now they have to own up to it.

Of course Lochte wants to create doubt as much as he can to save his millions in endorsements. I don't see his lesser known teammates who have no endorsements to lose and who he left behind to take the blame insisting it was a robbery.
Bentz said his recollection was that money was demanded from the Americans by armed men in order for the swimmers to be allowed to leave.

That does not match the account of Bentz, who said the swimmers were held at gunpoint until they paid. “I gave them what I had in my wallet, which was a $20 bill, and Jimmy gave them 100 reais, which is about $50 in total. They lowered the guns, and I used hand gestures to ask if it was OK to leave, and they said yes,” he said in his statement.

"Two men, whom I believe to have been security guards, then instructed us to exit the vehicle. No guns were drawn during this exchange, but we did see a gun tucked into one of the guard's waistband,” Bentz said. “As Jimmy (Feigen) and Jack (Conger) were walking away from the vehicle, the first security guard held up a badge to me and drew his handgun. I yelled to them to come back toward us, and they complied. Then the second guard drew his weapon and both guards pointed their guns at us and yelled at us to sit on a nearby sidewalk.”

Thank you Moranis for being the only logical one in this thread - another TP. Nobody is saying that what they did was okay, but things obviously escalated beyond expectations.

Apparently people think it is normal to tear down a sign and get a gun pointed at you until you give up the money that is in your wallet.

I don't care if people don't like Lochte as a person, but this whole media hype is out of control. The way Matt Laurer berated him in the interview was embarrassing. I don't understand why Lochte and gang are considered such criminals.

Security, Brazilian authorities and representatives, and everybody else's moral high grounds are a bit out of control. Chill, they tore down a freakin' sign...and I hope he does make a ton of money in a reality show.

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2016, 04:18:41 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
... are you kidding? It's "embarrassing" that Lochte was "berated" in the interview after spending several days spreading falsehoods and concocting some fake narrative? You take more issue with the fact that people are upset with him for blatantly lying to them than, you know, the fact that he actually lied. He lied directly to Matt Lauer and NBC in the interview he gave to them early last week and you're mad at Lauer - who actually defended him more than most other media personalities right until Lochte admitted to making up the story - for calling him out for lying.

"Yeah, he only lied to you all, acted like a jackass in a foreign country, poorly represented the US and its Olympic teams, and took the nation's media for fools, the hell are you so ticked off at him for?"

Holy crap. This is the kind of absurd attitude that enables guys like Lochte to pull this crap.

Yeah, Lochte's the real victim here. Oh, please.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 04:28:32 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
... are you kidding? It's "embarrassing" that Lochte was "berated" in the interview after spending several days spreading falsehoods and concocting some fake narrative? You take more issue with the fact that people are upset with him for blatantly lying to them than, you know, the fact that he actually lied.

"Yeah, he only lied to you all and took you all for fools, the hell are you so ticked off at him for?"

Holy crap. This is the kind of attitude that enables guys like Lochte to pull this crap.

I was just about to say this. This is the exact attitude of entitlement that pretty much lead to this incident. How about don't be a moron and destroy property or p--- all over stuff? Seems like a simple enough concept.

Apparently people think it is normal to tear down a sign and get a gun pointed at you until you give up the money that is in your wallet.

Again, what would have been an alternative measure security could've taken to keep them from leaving without paying for damages? If that didn't happen, Lochte and his posse leaves and the gas station would have to pay for damages. That seems wholly unfair. The fact is Ryan LIED (exaggerated, mis-remembered due to intoxication, whatever you want to sugarcoat it as) about what happened to cover up his bad behavior and then left the country while his teammates dealt with the fallout.

I have to say, I really genuinely wonder what some would say if this was a black athlete that pulled this. Can you imagine if Carmelo (same age as Ryan) went out with Draymond Green and did this? They'd probably be getting ripped a new one by the same people defending Ryan and Co.

The burden of being a white, privileged, male athlete is so difficult and unfair. How dare people expect them to behave like civilized human beings when representing their country abroad?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
You guys must be perfect. I am sorry for not knowing this in advance.

And it's not like he completely made up everything out of thin air. Sure there were exaggerations and what they did was embarrassing, but it's not like nothing happened.

Perhaps I am not articulating myself correctly. If you want to know exactly what I think, go back and read every one of Moranis' posts in this thread. He nailed it.

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
... are you kidding? It's "embarrassing" that Lochte was "berated" in the interview after spending several days spreading falsehoods and concocting some fake narrative? You take more issue with the fact that people are upset with him for blatantly lying to them than, you know, the fact that he actually lied. He lied directly to Matt Lauer and NBC in the interview he gave to them early last week and you're mad at Lauer - who actually defended him more than most other media personalities right until Lochte admitted to making up the story - for calling him out for lying.

"Yeah, he only lied to you all, acted like a jackass in a foreign country, poorly represented the US and its Olympic teams, and took the nation's media for fools, the hell are you so ticked off at him for?"

Holy crap. This is the kind of absurd attitude that enables guys like Lochte to pull this crap.

Yeah, Lochte's the real victim here. Oh, please.

Well put, TP.

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2016, 05:00:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You guys must be perfect. I am sorry for not knowing this in advance.

Never really considered myself perfect but if the only standard is having enough respect for someone else's property/livelihood to not literally go p--- all over it, then I guess I'm pretty close.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Bentz's full statement http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/c-swim/spec-rel/081916aac.html

Statement by University of Georgia Swimmer Gunnar Bentz

"I want to offer a sincere apology to the United States Olympic Committee, USA Swimming, the extraordinary women and men of Team USA, and the University of Georgia. Being a member of the Olympic Swimming Team was an honor and a dream come true. The accomplishments of my teammates were awe-inspiring and I'm so pleased I got to see them up close. I regret this situation has drawn attention away from the Olympics, which have been hosted so incredibly well by Brazil and its citizens.

"While I am anxious to put this matter behind me and rejoin my Georgia teammates in classes, practices and competitions, I feel compelled to stress several key points.

1. I was never a suspect in the case from the beginning (Brazilian law enforcement officials saw me only as a witness).

2. I never made a false statement to anyone at any time.

"I also want to be forthright about the details of what transpired last Sunday. What follows is consistent with the account I gave to the Brazilian authorities when I was interviewed for the first and only time on Thursday in Rio de Janeiro:

"After attending an event with several swimmers from different nations, I left in a taxicab along with U.S. swimmers Jack Conger, Jimmy Feigen and Ryan Lochte around 6 a.m. On the way back to the Olympic Village, we pulled into a convenience store to use the restroom. There was no restroom inside, so we foolishly relieved ourselves on the backside of the building behind some bushes. There was a locked door out back and I did not witness anyone breaking it open. I am unsure why, but while we were in that area, Ryan pulled to the ground a framed metal advertisement that was loosely anchored to the brick wall. I then suggested to everyone that we needed to leave the area and we returned to the taxi.

"Two men, whom I believe to have been security guards, then instructed us to exit the vehicle. No guns were drawn during this exchange, but we did see a gun tucked into one of the guard's waistband. As Jimmy and Jack were walking away from the vehicle, the first security guard held up a badge to me and drew his handgun. I yelled to them to come back toward us and they complied. Then the second guard drew his weapon and both guards pointed their guns at us and yelled at us to sit on a nearby sidewalk.

"Again, I cannot speak to his actions, but Ryan stood up and began to yell at the guards. After Jack and I both tugged at him in an attempt to get him to sit back down, Ryan and the security guards had a heated verbal exchange, but no physical contact was made.

"A man that I believe to be a customer approached us and offered to help as he spoke both English and Portuguese. Understandably, we were frightened and confused during this time. Through the interpreter, one of the guards said that we needed to pay them in order to leave. I gave them what I had in my wallet, which was a $20 bill, and Jimmy gave them 100 Reals, which is about $50 in total. They lowered the guns and I used hand gestures to ask if it was okay to leave and they said yes. We walked about a block down the street and hailed another taxi to return to the Village.

"Videos of this situation have been emerging the last several days. However, I am confident that some video angles have not been shown that would further substantiate my account. I also believe some scenes have been skipped over. Additionally, I would like to stress that our original taxi was not pulled over; the only occupants of the taxi were the four of us and the driver; and to my knowledge, there was no damage done to the door or the inside of the restroom.

"I am so thankful for the love and support of my family, my friends and my teammates during this time. Without question, I am taking away a valuable life lesson from this situation. In everything I do, I am representing my family, my country and my school. I will not take that responsibility lightly."

-- Gunnar Bentz, Aug. 19, 2016
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Sounds like Lochte really made a fool of himself both during and after this series of events. I still am not really sure why he felt compelled to exaggerate the story. It seems like if I was acting like a drunken fool I would do everything I could to just have people stop talking about the event as soon as possible. 

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2016, 09:48:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Ryan Lockbrain, is quite possibly the stupidest Olympian or even human being of all time. It's actually impressive.

https://youtu.be/gpBYpwxdyTQ

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
His accounting of the event was more accurate than Clinton's tarmac fable.  Disqualifying to represent his country in the Olympics, but perhaps he should run for President.  The guy won a gold medal, got out of hand celebrating, tried to pull one over and apologized.  I'm guessing the faux morals police on here aren't in favor of the death penalty, so that's good news for Lochte.