Poll

Will he

Yes
49 (94.2%)
No
3 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Will Grant Williams give us more production than Semi/Yabu? (poll)  (Read 3608 times)

Re: Will Grant Williams give us more production than Semi/Yabu? (poll)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 08:34:21 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's too soon to say he will be better than Semi. Semi has shown he can play in the NBA, Williams hasn't done that yet. Having said that, I would not be at all surprised if he did quickly surpass Semi. Semi is a fringe NBA player at best and I am constantly surprised at how many people around here think he will be more than that.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
at this point, I'm still a bit surprised Danny hasn't done a salary dump of Yabu to open up more cap space.  even with the housecleaning in the front court this offseason, I think all 3 of Semi, Yabu and Williams are going to have a hard time contributing meaningful minutes on the floor.  seems by process of elimination they'll be getting minutes (as a group) but
- Semi has got to at least make baskets consistently whether that's 3's from the corner or drives to the basket, he's got to produce points.
- Yabu and Williams have the weight, muscle and athleticism to play PF/C but not the height.  I don't think post players like Embiid or KAT could outmuscle them to the basket but with several inches of height advantage, I anticipate centers/PFs of typical height to just go over the top off them.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »

Offline DarrenTillis

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Considering where in the draft he was picked, the players still on the board at the time that the C's realistically might have selected instead, and the overall quality of the player selected, Yabu stands as the single worst draft pick in the Ainge era.  It won't take much for Williams to be a substantial upgrade. 

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Considering where in the draft he was picked, the players still on the board at the time that the C's realistically might have selected instead, and the overall quality of the player selected, Yabu stands as the single worst draft pick in the Ainge era.  It won't take much for Williams to be a substantial upgrade.
He was selected because he was willing to be stashed, and sadly it shows.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 04:39:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't discount the awfulness that was the Fab Melo, James Young, RJ Hunter, JR Giddens and JaJuan Johnson picks. That Yabusele pick has some major competition for worst Ainge pick ever.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 04:44:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I would love it if any of the picks made this year were to positively contribute to the team as a rotational player(s). I just have no faith they will, at least this year. Semi with just a bit of growth is probably a decent 9th or 10th rotational player on a decent team or better. I just can't say the same for our picks. Let's see what they look like in SL and pre-season first.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not sure what some of you guys are smoking! Grant is going to struggle to get his shot off against NBA players and have a huge adjustment coming up! Semi is way ahead of him on the depth chart, C's are high on him and he has proven he can play. Yabu doesn't count he's just a mascot!

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Question: will Grant as a rookie give us more this upcoming season than either semi or yabu will give us or have given us?

He's a High floor rookie with a lot to like.

What do you mean by “production”? Or is this purely subjective?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
would be a tall order to top Yubu s production.... ;)

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 05:18:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Don't discount the awfulness that was the Fab Melo, James Young, RJ Hunter, JR Giddens and JaJuan Johnson picks. That Yabusele pick has some major competition for worst Ainge pick ever.
And being smart enough to trade down from Fultz to get Tatum/Langford makes up for all those mid round misses.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
yabusele was at #16
fabulous fab #22
james young #17
rj hunter #28
jjj #27
giddens #30

given the draft range, i forgive the choice of fab, rj, giddens, and jjj. anything after 20 is throwing darts pretty much.

so, whose suckocity is more pronounced? yubusele or james young? hmmmm.... my money to finish first in the suck-derby is young over yabusele. but, as ever, ymmv.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
And being smart enough to trade down from Fultz to get Tatum/Langford makes up for all those mid round misses.
Oh, I might have inadvertently made some think Ainge is a bad drafter. I don't think that at all. Bad picks in the latter half of the 1st round is part for the course for all GMs. Ainge has been around a long time so he has a bunch of bad picks which I think could be argued are just as bad as Yabu. But overall, I think Ainge is a decent drafter.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 05:58:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yabusele was at #16
fabulous fab #22
james young #17
rj hunter #28
jjj #27
giddens #30

given the draft range, i forgive the choice of fab, rj, giddens, and jjj. anything after 20 is throwing darts pretty much.

so, whose suckocity is more pronounced? yubusele or james young? hmmmm.... my money to finish first in the suck-derby is young over yabusele. but, as ever, ymmv.

that JJJ pick is still cringe worthy .  I don't think CBS will allow,him to be. THAT  wrong again.   I actually trust CBS more than Danny ...  Cause as a none power college coach he had really search hard and understand hidden talent ,  and recognizes people who are good hard working kids ...or else he d never turned that college program he ran into anything.   

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 06:19:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Yes. Neither Yabu nor Semi are NBA players.

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 06:23:11 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
More than Yabu?  Definitely.  More than Semi?  Maybe.