Author Topic: Why did Miami get rid of Beasley for Haslem?  (Read 6979 times)

Re: Why did Miami get rid of Beasley for Haslem?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
This was not an either or.

Haslem was a FA. Beasley was under contract. To sign the South Beach big three to the highest possible $$$ amount, they had to move Beasley.

Haslem, as I mentioned, was a FA. Miami owned his bird rights. After Miami inked James, Wade, and Bosh, the bird rights allowed them to resign Haslem to any $$$ amount above the cap w/o using their mid-level (which went to Miller).

Moving Beasley was a cost of doing business to sign the other big 3. That's all.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Haslem was a FA. Beasley was under contract. To sign the South Beach big three to the highest possible $$$ amount, they had to move Beasley.

Haslem, as I mentioned, was a FA. Miami owned his bird rights. After Miami inked James, Wade, and Bosh, the bird rights allowed them to resign Haslem to any $$$ amount above the cap w/o using their mid-level (which went to Miller).

Moving Beasley was a cost of doing business to sign the other big 3. That's all.

Mk

You're wrong, they used the cap space freed up by Beasley to sign Mike Miller. Haslem had a cap hold, they could have done the Miller signing and kept Beasley instead of Haslem easily.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:04:31 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Eric Spokstra told NBA.tv media that bringing back Haslem was the smart thing to do because he is a home grown guy,a fan favorite,and embodies all the things they feel a Heat player should be... sounded like they would catch a lot of "Heat"from fans if he wasn't brought back.

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Haslem will do the dirty work necessary.  He leaves, they get nothing.  Beasley got them 2 picks (though 2 2nd rounders isn't impressive for a top 3 pick). 
I remember all reports saying they needed to trade Beasley to have enough $ to get both LeBron & Bosh.  Didn't want them to take too much of a pay cut.
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Mk

You're wrong, they used the cap space freed up by Beasley to sign Mike Miller. Haslem had a cap hold, they could have done the Miller signing and kept Beasley instead of Haslem easily.

To add on to that, Miami couldn't go over the cap to re-sign Haslem.  They had to renounce him in order to get cap space, which terminates his Bird rights.  However, they were still able to fit him (and Miller) under their cap, because they had sufficient cap space (due to the "trifecta" agreeing to deals that were collectively more than $6.5 million below their max contracts in the first year.)

Now, Miami probably could have resigned Haslem and kept Beasley, rather than signing Miller, but they chose not to.  Similarly, they chose not to sign Miller and keep Beasley.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions