Author Topic: Why did Miami get rid of Beasley for Haslem?  (Read 6981 times)

Why did Miami get rid of Beasley for Haslem?
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Same price.  On the court you've got to give the nod to Beasley, despite any of his other issues.  He's also got a great deal more potential.  Confusing move.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Re: Why did Miami get rid of Beasley for Haslem?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8
Haslem is a proven player already and miami wants to win now and not wait on beasley to get his act straight
I bleed Green

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know that Beasley offers more, especially to the new Miami team that has 3 elite offensive players.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=beaslmi01&y1=2010&p2=hasleud01&y2=2010

Haslem is a better rebounder, takes less shots, defends better, and actually scores his points slightly more efficiently.

He's also a much more reliable player.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:26:59 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Haslem is an important part of the Miami Heat, he is one of the best role players around. It always seems like he’s up to the task.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Haslem is the better player and a better complementary piece to the Big Three. Especially Bosh.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Technically, didn't the Heat get rid of Beasley to free up enough money to sign Mike Miller?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If you're going to spend precious cap space on a back-up power forward, I can understand why Miami would prefer Haslem.  Of course, I suspect they'll wish they spent that money on a better point guard or center before next season is halfway over.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:43:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Haslem is a better rebounder, takes less shots, defends better, and actually scores his points slightly more efficiently.

He's also a much more reliable player.

Yep.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Haslem is the better player and a better complementary piece to the Big Three. Especially Bosh.

I wouldn't say he is more talented though, but he is more productive on the court than Beasley especially when it counts in the playoffs.  Beasley has the potential but he has yet to come anywhere close to fulfill it.  Haslem like Who just said in the quote I quoted is a better complementary piece for their three which he is.

Udonis Haslem is just about the complete opposite player than Michael Beasley.  He may not have he talent like Beasley, but he gives all out effort and heart unlike Beasley.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Haslem is a proven player already and miami wants to win now and not wait on beasley to get his act straight
I don't think Miami can win now anyway.  Beasley is the better player now and in a couple years he will be a much better player.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I don't think Miami can win now anyway.  Beasley is the better player now and in a couple years he will be a much better player.

What do you mean by "better", though?

Haslem is the better rebounder and defender (by a wide margin), and he's a tough player who has his head on straight and who is a leader on and off the court.  Haslem is also a more efficient player.

Sure, Beasley scores about 5 more points per 36 minutes, but scoring isn't what the Heat needs.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »

Offline Dybdal

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Haslem is one of the best role players in the league while beasley havnt proven his worth, hopefully this will move will penetrate into beasleys head so he actualy makes something out his carrer instead of us reading an article of him playing in greece in a few years.

(Me saying Haslem is one of the best role players in the league is my opinon and its not based on any shred of fact, from what ive seen of him.. i see a likeable, hardworking servicable role player that does what needs to be done and those kinds of ultimate role players are rare these days, we had one in James Posey once)
"Leadership is diving for a loose ball, getting the crowd involved, getting other players involved. It`s being able to take it as well as dish it out. That`s the only way you`re going to get respect from the players"

- Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Haslem is the better rebounder and defender (by a wide margin), and he's a tough player who has his head on straight and who is a leader on and off the court.  Haslem is also a more efficient player.

Sure, Beasley scores about 5 more points per 36 minutes, but scoring isn't what the Heat needs.

I think he just means more talented and has more potential.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I think he just means more talented and has more potential.

He's only more talented when it comes to scoring, though, which is the one skill the Heat have in abundance.  They need defense and toughness, not scoring.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »

Offline JCNx01

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
They don't need Beasley and he's a head case.  He doesn't fit in to their "Win-Now" plan as a Championship team piece.  Haslem isn't old and he is a better fit for their run at a title.  Its actually probably better for Beasley in Minn where he'll have more opportunity to grow and mature as a player - hopefully he can get his head screwed on straight and not be another waste of young basketball talent in the league.