Author Topic: T-mac close to signing with Heat  (Read 11189 times)

Re: T-mac close to signing with Heat
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Yeah why not for vet min.  Sounds like the perfect way to get that 1st round monkey off your back. 

Limited risk/Limited reward

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Pretty big injury risk for a Miami team without a ton of margin for error.
T-Mac for the vet min is "without a ton of margin for error"?

T-Mac for the vet min is a must do move. Heck, we signed Marbury for more than that when his ability to contribute was far more unlikely.

T-Mac off the bench would be an incredible move for the Heat. The guy would be a great asset off the bench. Don't confuse his decline from superstardom with a lack of ability to contribute at a high level in a reduced role. Heck, we paid Sheed way more than that and his decline had already been pretty steep.

My point is that Miami needs guys it can count on. I'm not convinced T-Mac can make it through a season. He staggered through the end of the season with the Knicks. He might be done.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
This sounds a lot like Miami signing Penny Hardaway a few years ago. Barely played.

Only Penny had more in his tank than McGrady does.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 04:09:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Miami has Wade, LeBron, and Bosh.

How much more scoring could they possibly need? T-Mac can no longer defend or rebound so I fail to see what he can add to their chances.

As a veteran's minimum player, why not they'll need to fill out the roster anyways. But he won't see the court unless something goes terribly wrong.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's a hit or miss, I could still see McGrady putting up some good numbers. Or he could get hurt. But seriously, don't doubt him.

Tmac, Big Z, Mike Miller... those are some pretty big defensive holes for us to attack. Go get A.I. too

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Tracy McGrady is finished. His legs are gone.

As a result, he is one of the worst defensive players in the league + a liability on the backboards + he is unable to create separation from his defender due to his lack of athleticism which leads to a large number of contested jump shots off the dribble which leads to highly inefficient scoring.

McGrady is an ineffective offensive player who does more harm to his team than good + a horrific defensive player who again harms his team + a weak rebounder who again hurts his team.

Tracy McGrady is finished.

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 04:12:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This sounds a lot like Miami signing Penny Hardaway a few years ago. Barely played.

Only Penny had more in his tank than McGrady does.

I'm not sure about that.  Penny was 36 years old, and had played 41 games in three years (including missing an entire year).  He hadn't averaged 10+ points per game in five seasons.

Tmac is going to be 31, and was a competent player as late as 2009.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Tracy McGrady is finished. His legs are gone.

As a result, he is one of the worst defensive players in the league + a liability on the backboards + he is unable to create separation from his defender due to his lack of athleticism which leads to a large number of contested jump shots off the dribble which leads to highly inefficient scoring.

McGrady is an ineffective offensive player who does more harm to his team than good + a horrific defensive player who again harms his team + a weak rebounder who again hurts his team.

Tracy McGrady is finished.
Come to think of it, McGrady is a lot like Adam Morrison.

Only McGrady can still make plays for teammates if you allow him to dominate the basketball which is impractical for any team who is taking him on as a role player.

Needs to be the star to get that positive contribution and that sole positive contribution (playmaking ability) still won't come close to negating the damage he is doing elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:22:05 PM by Who »

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
He's a hit or miss, I could still see McGrady putting up some good numbers. Or he could get hurt. But seriously, don't doubt him.

Tmac, Big Z, Mike Miller... those are some pretty big defensive holes for us to attack. Go get A.I. too

get out of my head.  : ) TP
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
This sounds a lot like T-mac just trying to remind people he still wants to play next season.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
If T-Mac is really willing to go to the Heat for the vet. minimum, I don't see why the Heat would turn that down.

T-Mac being able to stay healthy or not is one thing, but bothering me about his defense one way or another while with the Knicks is comical.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

T-Mac for the vet min is a must do move. Heck, we signed Marbury for more than that when his ability to contribute was far more unlikely.

T-Mac off the bench would be an incredible move for the Heat. The guy would be a great asset off the bench. Don't confuse his decline from superstardom with a lack of ability to contribute at a high level in a reduced role. Heck, we paid Sheed way more than that and his decline had already been pretty steep.

My point is that Miami needs guys it can count on. I'm not convinced T-Mac can make it through a season. He staggered through the end of the season with the Knicks. He might be done.
They have a ton of roster spots open to get the "guys it can count on".

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Would be an excellent addition to this abomination of primadonnas.  Always good to have a tanker/primadonna combo.

Is JR Rider available.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

They have a ton of roster spots open to get the "guys it can count on".

Miami already got the "guys it can count on". All they need now are "guys to fill up the roster", and McGrady does that as well as Scal, so for the vet min you can't lose.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Would be an excellent addition to this abomination of primadonnas.  Always good to have a tanker/primadonna combo.

Is JR Rider available.

maybe they can trade for vince carter during the season to round out the list.