Author Topic: Philadelphia 76ers have made Elton Brand available.  (Read 10130 times)

Re: Philadelphia 76ers have made Elton Brand available.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
First off, hes never healthy

Duncan
KG
Dirk
Bosh
Gasol
Sheed
Amare
Boozer
David West
Antawn Jamison
Certainly Al Jefferson regardless of him being labeled a center

...all better, and I may have missed some..
Never healthy? Before his injury last year he missed only 50 out of 656 games he could have played in. That is pretty good, especially when the majority of those came in two years with the LAC where he missed around 20 games in two seasons.

Boozer is hurt far more often.

I agree with about half of your list. KG, Duncan, Dirk, Gasol are better.

West isn't all that good, Sheed seems to be done being a great player, Jamison is overrated and defends too little. Amare and Bosh should be much better but they're not.

Al Jefferson is a center now. He plays that role defensively and still plays the low block on offensive like he always have. I'd like to say he's better than Brandt (when healthy) but I just can't yet. He's close though.

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
I'm surprised no one even acknowledged the Clippers-Sixers trade on the bottom of the first page of this thread (the "Yeah, I went there" trade). In fact, when I heard that Brand was being made available, my first thought was "Why wouldn't the Clippers pull the trigger?" After all, last year's Celtics are living proof that collectively several players who "couldn't bring their teams to the next level" or "couldn't bring them a championship" can achieve amazing things. Even with the about-face he pulled this summer, Brand is still a hugely popular player in LA, and Baron Davis still loves him. Camby's gone after this year anyway, so you may as well move him for Brand. Philly gets out from under Brand's contract and can perhaps make a bit more noise in the East than they could with Brand (as Camby's likely to be a better fit for their offense.)

Where's the downside, aside from LAC taking on that big contract?

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
LaMarcus Aldridge is better than Brand.  I don't see Portland being interested at all.

I don't see Brand in LA either.  He'd be a second unit player there, and not even the Lakers give that kind of money to bench players.

As I look around at various rosters, I jut don't see a logical home for him, with the possible exception of Cleveland. Oh I suppose the LAC too, but would the Clips bring him back after he spurned them so badly in the offseason?

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 11:19:32 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
First off, hes never healthy

Duncan
KG
Dirk
Bosh
Gasol
Sheed
Amare
Boozer
David West
Antawn Jamison
Certainly Al Jefferson regardless of him being labeled a center

...all better, and I may have missed some..
Never healthy? Before his injury last year he missed only 50 out of 656 games he could have played in. That is pretty good, especially when the majority of those came in two years with the LAC where he missed around 20 games in two seasons.

Boozer is hurt far more often.

I agree with about half of your list. KG, Duncan, Dirk, Gasol are better.

West isn't all that good, Sheed seems to be done being a great player, Jamison is overrated and defends too little. Amare and Bosh should be much better but they're not.

Al Jefferson is a center now. He plays that role defensively and still plays the low block on offensive like he always have. I'd like to say he's better than Brandt (when healthy) but I just can't yet. He's close though.

Um, you say Gasol is better than Brand, but not Bosh? well Bosh is better than Gasol...And I stand by everyone I listed, I dont think Brand is very good. Add Lamarcus Aldridge to the list as well...I really dont see any legit argument for him being a top 5 PF in this league, and Philadelphia learned that awfully quick, maybe at one time...but not even close anymore..hes working his way out of the top 10
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 11:29:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
What about:

Baron Davis and Marcus Camby

for

Elton Brand and Andre Miller

The Clips regret signing Davis, who is an up-tempo guy in a coach control freak system. Andre is much more controlled. They have Kaman, Camby, and Randolph already. We all know that Davis's "injuries" are usually linked to discontent. Philly wants a do-over on Brand and Miller has been unhappy off and on and they'll lose him after this year. Philly has to know what Davis did in the loose up tempo system in Golden State, and wonder how Davis could run with Louis Williamson, Iggy, Young, and Camby.

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 11:36:57 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Why not this one?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=91~2004~3244~2166~1727&teams=21~21~21~20~20&te=&cash=

I've seen worse.  That would certainly put a flourish on Kerr's remake of the Suns.  Actually I like it for Phoenix.

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What about:

Baron Davis and Marcus Camby

for

Elton Brand and Andre Miller

The Clips regret signing Davis, who is an up-tempo guy in a coach control freak system. Andre is much more controlled. They have Kaman, Camby, and Randolph already. We all know that Davis's "injuries" are usually linked to discontent. Philly wants a do-over on Brand and Miller has been unhappy off and on and they'll lose him after this year. Philly has to know what Davis did in the loose up tempo system in Golden State, and wonder how Davis could run with Louis Williamson, Iggy, Young, and Camby.

I think Miller and Brand are showing that they are truly not compatible.  They've played together twice now, and both times, the results have been disappointing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
What was Brand's injury this season? Was it not just some small injury, or was it related to his past injury?

It was a shoulder injury, in a play with Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. No relation with his past injury (Achilles tendon, IIRC).
Thank you Cordobes.

I can't see this recent injury castrating his trade value if it has no relation to his prior injury. Injuries happen, this is only a small one, I can't see it having a huge effect against his trade value.

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What was Brand's injury this season? Was it not just some small injury, or was it related to his past injury?

It was a shoulder injury, in a play with Luc Richard Mbah a Moute. No relation with his past injury (Achilles tendon, IIRC).
Thank you Cordobes.

I can't see this recent injury castrating his trade value if it has no relation to his prior injury. Injuries happen, this is only a small one, I can't see it having a huge effect against his trade value.

I think teams will at least wait and see how he reacts to it.  It's a shoulder dislocation.  It could heal on its own, or it could be a recurring problem, like Perk's.  Once a shoulder is dislocated once, it greatly enhances the chances of it coming out again.  Without surgery, the connective tissue in Brand's shoulder will *never* be as tight as it was prior to the injury, and with each re-dislocation in the future, that connective tissue becomes more and more loose (and the should becomes less and less stable).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions