Author Topic: Stephon Marbury live on Outside the Lines, ESPN  (Read 7453 times)

Re: Stephon Marbury live on Outside the Lines, ESPN
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Knicks have a decent shot at landing the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Celtics stand an excellent chance at getting the number one seed in the East. If you're Donnie Walsh, are you going to buy Marbury out before March 1st(when you have to be on a roster to be eligible to play in the playoffs), if there is even the slightest chance of Marbury landing on the Celtics and helping them defeat you in the first round of the playoffs? That would just play out so well if Marbury torched the Knicks for 30 to help propel the Celtics into the next round, wouldn't it?

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
He said Kobe is the one individual player he'd like to play with because hes the best on the planet.

....I no longer want him in a celtics uniform.

I am getting pretty tired of this guy.  If he seriously wanted this resolved it would be resolved.  I think hes eating this up.  Every time the dust settles with this whole thing he comes back and stirs everything back up like hes doing right now.  Its not like the Knicks are firing back, hes just talking now about same things over and over.  Hes looking stupider and stupider and also ruining his chances of a team like the Celtics of even wanting him, hes already trying to use going to the Celtics against the Knicks and hes not even bought out yet.

It doesn't make much sense to me.  The knicks hold all the cards...

The Knicks currently have no incentive to buy him out of his contract.  So why should they?    I think the only motivation they might have to resolve this is that maybe Steph has a powerful agent who tells them, "If you don't buy out my client... I'll cause you problems in future"

TP for saving me five minutes typing that exact post, minus the agent argument
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
No news news from Steph. Although I must mention that his affordable Starbury sneakers are available online.  ;)

Lol. What are they 15 bucks? I bet they rip in a day.

Like I have said before, we gotta get out of the basketball player mind a little bit and get into the business.  I think all this hype is just promoting his shoe company which sounds like is actually doing relatively well during this economic woes.

Anyway, the thing I really don't like is talking smack about his shoes.  I have one pair (actually, had one until I forgot to clear my locker last semester) and they are actually pretty good.  Not great, they don't make me feel like I am walking on air or give me the ability to dunk but they do feel comfortable and lasted for what it was worth.  Instead of buying a Nike shoe for $90 that lasts for two years, you can get one for $15 that'll last for one year.  The real suckers out there are the ones putting all that money into a shoe that will not help them anymore than a shoe can only help.  Besides, the reason he does this is to give the opportunities for poor kids to have decent bball shoes.  

Instead of the LJ trying to make as many millions as possible through marketing or the many charity or fundraiser events that barely cover the costs due to the infrastructure of the event, the man has actually build a successful (at least I hope so) self-sufficient business that gives opportunities to poor kids and the communities.  One thing is to ask for donations, it's another to invest so donations never need to be asked.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 07:37:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
No news news from Steph. Although I must mention that his affordable Starbury sneakers are available online.  ;)

You think that's funny.

What's funny is that Marbury's sneakers probably cost about the exact same amount of money to produce overseas as those Nike Airs and other expensive shoes, less than one dollar. Just because he's selling them for less it doesn't mean they are made of a lesser quality than some of the big name, expensive shoes.

What's funny is that people actually pay more than $150 for sneakers that cost less than a dollar to produce.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Grizz waived Francis... Not a lot left in the tank but the Celtics might take a look?

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Starbury shoes aren't great, not comfortable, but what do you expect out of cheap shoes? I give respect to someone that wants decent shoes out there for kids that can't afford them. Personally, I love my AND 1's I bought from Shoe Carnival for 50 bucks that have lasted me 3 years and counting...

As for Marbury...He's being taken advantage of. Does anyone know how much an NBA agent costs? I would assume it's based off your current salary(if you have one) but I don't know. The Celts have 2.3 mil left, so why doesn't he pay an agent a mil to settle this case, and sign with us for the difference. He could easily make a difference in the playoffs. Chemistry aside, I think he would be awesome with Rondo at the point, him at SG and either Ray or Pierce at the 3. I think the combo of propects between Walker, Giddens, Pruitt, and BBD/Powe needs to stop. We need youth, but we need talented youth. At this point, I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading Powe for a draft pick, cash, or w/e. He holds more value so someone could bite.

Point is, we need Marbury. Also again I'll suggest Sefelosha in exchange for Tony Allen.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Starbury shoes aren't great, not comfortable, but what do you expect out of cheap shoes? I give respect to someone that wants decent shoes out there for kids that can't afford them. Personally, I love my AND 1's I bought from Shoe Carnival for 50 bucks that have lasted me 3 years and counting...

As for Marbury...He's being taken advantage of. Does anyone know how much an NBA agent costs? I would assume it's based off your current salary(if you have one) but I don't know. The Celts have 2.3 mil left, so why doesn't he pay an agent a mil to settle this case, and sign with us for the difference. He could easily make a difference in the playoffs. Chemistry aside, I think he would be awesome with Rondo at the point, him at SG and either Ray or Pierce at the 3. I think the combo of propects between Walker, Giddens, Pruitt, and BBD/Powe needs to stop. We need youth, but we need talented youth. At this point, I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading Powe for a draft pick, cash, or w/e. He holds more value so someone could bite.

Point is, we need Marbury. Also again I'll suggest Sefelosha in exchange for Tony Allen.

How?  Has someone tricked him out of money? 

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

How?  Has someone tricked him out of money? 
Gotta agree with Wide Load. Please explain how he is being taken advantage of because that is making zero sense to me.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 09:13:16 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

You think that's funny.

What's funny is that Marbury's sneakers probably cost about the exact same amount of money to produce overseas as those Nike Airs and other expensive shoes, less than one dollar. Just because he's selling them for less it doesn't mean they are made of a lesser quality than some of the big name, expensive shoes.

What's funny is that people actually pay more than $150 for sneakers that cost less than a dollar to produce.

They are less quality, definitely.  My son has a pair to just wear around, but could never play in them, no support.  One of the news magazines actually had a tech break down the sneakers item by item (sole, heel, etc.) and compared the materials to an $80 pair of Nikes.  They held up the materials side by side, noticeable difference in the insole to the eye, inferior leather uppers, etc.  However, they still represent a great value for what they cost.  But they are inferior sneakers compared to what most play hoop in, not just $150 ripoffs either.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

You think that's funny.

They are less quality, definitely.  My son has a pair to just wear around, but could never play in them, no support.  One of the news magazines actually had a tech break down the sneakers item by item (sole, heel, etc.) and compared the materials to an $80 pair of Nikes.  They held up the materials side by side, noticeable difference in the insole to the eye, inferior leather uppers, etc.  However, they still represent a great value for what they cost.  But they are inferior sneakers compared to what most play hoop in, not just $150 ripoffs either.

a poor kid can still wear Stephon Marburys shoes to school and still feel cool....for only 15 bucks.  Its easy for us to rip them apart on here b/c we can afford more.

Anybody that pays 150 bucks for a pair of basketball shoes is an idiot, or has too much money to spend, i dont care how much better quality the leather is.  Ive worn plenty of cheap basketball shoes and they treat me just fine.  The only basketball shoe I refuse to play in are Chuck Taylors and thats because Ill limp for a week afterwards because I have 80 million blisters on my feet.
Greg

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

You think that's funny.

a poor kid can still wear Stephon Marburys shoes to school and still feel cool....for only 15 bucks.  Its easy for us to rip them apart on here b/c we can afford more.

Anybody that pays 150 bucks for a pair of basketball shoes is an idiot, or has too much money to spend, i dont care how much better quality the leather is.  Ive worn plenty of cheap basketball shoes and they treat me just fine.  The only basketball shoe I refuse to play in are Chuck Taylors and thats because Ill limp for a week afterwards because I have 80 million blisters on my feet.
The Starbury brand is definitely a great thing, and I commend Steph for doing it. Originally, I wasn't mocking the shoes, I was just poking fun at the fact that ESPN was clearly obligated to mention the shoes, because that was why Marbury agreed to do all those interviews with them.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

You think that's funny.

We're talkin' 'bout shoes. Not a game. Not a game. Shoes. We're talkin' 'bout shoes. Shoes. Not a game. But shoes.

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I'll have a newfound respect for the Knicks if they don't buy him out and prevent Stiffbury from seeing a NBA basketball court this season. Honestly, I wish Stiffbury would just go away. The Stiffbury to Boston rumors were a distraction during that 2 and 7 stretch that knocked us out of 1st place.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

You think that's funny.

We're talkin' 'bout shoes. Not a game. Not a game. Shoes. We're talkin' 'bout shoes. Shoes. Not a game. But shoes.

TP... nice haha
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."