Author Topic: Stephon Marbury live on Outside the Lines, ESPN  (Read 7454 times)

Stephon Marbury live on Outside the Lines, ESPN
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
right now.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Re: Stephon Marbury live on Outside the Lines, ESPN
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Thanks Toine

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:22:01 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
[dang] it! I have no audio in my office! Can somebody provide me/those of us who can't listen an update as to what they're talking about? Thanks in advance.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
No news news from Steph. Although I must mention that his affordable Starbury sneakers are available online.  ;)

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was on board a month ago.  I'm hopping off though.  He's an attention starved egomaniac who needs to shut his mouth and go crawl into a hole.

He is still a month away from even being relevant. Who cares what he has to say? It’s the same crap he’s been saying for months. I’ll save everyone the effort:

- I have options on who to play for
- I want my money
- The knicks are playling games with me
- Coach doesn’t care where I play
- I wanna make out with my sister
- The knicks have no immediate plans to release me… thus… i’m irrelevant.

I'm sure if he really wanted to play in Boston he could have made a buy out a reality by now.  But neither side is going to budge... so who cares.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
WRONG THREAD. oops
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:56:17 PM by bostonfan23 »

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:42:08 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I am telling you, Steph might be smarter than we think.  Although I have no special feelings towards the man, I do respect his business and what is trying to accomplish, which is making shoes more affordable to poor kids.  So even though he's not doing much basketball related, he's still able to go to ESPN and promote his product.  Besides, considering that the economic woes, taking his business to the international waters really is an accomplishment.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
John - Lowell, MA: Hey stephon, if you came to Boston, seeing that the numbers 3 and 33 are retired (DJ and Bird) what would you want to wear?

Stephon Marbury: (4:42 PM ET ) I have to find out what numbers are available

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
He said Kobe is the one individual player he'd like to play with because hes the best on the planet.

....I no longer want him in a celtics uniform.

I am getting pretty tired of this guy.  If he seriously wanted this resolved it would be resolved.  I think hes eating this up.  Every time the dust settles with this whole thing he comes back and stirs everything back up like hes doing right now.  Its not like the Knicks are firing back, hes just talking now about same things over and over.  Hes looking stupider and stupider and also ruining his chances of a team like the Celtics of even wanting him, hes already trying to use going to the Celtics against the Knicks and hes not even bought out yet.
Greg

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He said Kobe is the one individual player he'd like to play with because hes the best on the planet.

I am getting pretty tired of this guy.  If he seriously wanted this resolved it would be resolved.  I think hes eating this up.  Every time the dust settles with this whole thing he comes back and stirs everything back up like hes doing right now.  Its not like the Knicks are firing back, hes just talking now about same things over and over.  Hes looking stupider and stupider and also ruining his chances of a team like the Celtics of even wanting him, hes already trying to use going to the Celtics against the Knicks and hes not even bought out yet.

It doesn't make much sense to me.  The knicks hold all the cards...

The Knicks currently have no incentive to buy him out of his contract.  So why should they?    I think the only motivation they might have to resolve this is that maybe Steph has a powerful agent who tells them, "If you don't buy out my client... I'll cause you problems in future"

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:09:05 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i think the kncks would help themselves by ust taking marbury's offer. let me be clear with my opinion. i think marbury was is and probably WILL act like a complete jerk. but the kniocks including coach mike d'antoni went along with deliberately deceiving a player. that's got to enter the mind of any player negotaitaing with them in the future. it does'nt matter whether marbury deserved it or not.
  some people here are making some great points. it concerns me a little bit that marbury is still spouting off about being wronged. he's made his case. everyone knows what it is. he's not helping. it DOES concern me a bit that maybe he's just loving thei attetion. you know the c's have no time or interest in any teammate bringing attention to himself. look at the way the c's reacted to big baby's crying. they felt if he's gonna be a baby go do it on your own time. it only gets the media going and takes focus off the team to deal with crap. we don't need that.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
I've always hate Marbury as a person, but listening to him, and trying to put me into his shoes, I can see some of his points:

1.  He has a valid contract.
2.  He came ready to play.
3.  The Knicks told him to go away.
4.  Now he wants to play, but the Knicks aren't releasing him.
5.  Why should he give up money in his contact so that a billion dollar company (Cablevision)can save some money
6.  He put a million dollars on the table, which he won't make back by signing another contact.
7.  He risks injury by coming back before he can sign another longer term contract.  (Don't think for one second that he won't sign another contract next year if he doesn't play this year.)

I don't think I want him on the Celtics, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to a deal for the remainder of the year.

I'm just sayin', from his perspective, I can see his point.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 06:35:50 PM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

It doesn't make much sense to me.  The knicks hold all the cards...

The Knicks currently have no incentive to buy him out of his contract.  So why should they?    I think the only motivation they might have to resolve this is that maybe Steph has a powerful agent who tells them, "If you don't buy out my client... I'll cause you problems in future"

Not sure if you knew it but he doesn't have an agent, he represents himself.  Something that some people say has slowed the development of his being released.
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 06:54:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've always hate Marbury as a person, but listening to him, and trying to put me into his shoes, I can see some of his points:

1.  He has a valid contract.
2.  He came ready to play.
3.  The Knicks told him to go away.
4.  Now he wants to play, but the Knicks aren't releasing him.
5.  Why should he give up money in his contact so that a billion dollar company (Cablevision)can save some money
6.  He put a million dollars on the table, which he won't make back by signing another contact.
7.  He risks injury by coming back before he can sign another longer term contract.  (Don't think for one second that he won't sign another contract next year if he doesn't play this year.)

I don't think I want him on the Celtics, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to a deal for the remainder of the year.

I'm just sayin', from his perspective, I can see his point.
Those points are valid, BUT this is a negotiation both sides have to feel like they are getting something. If the Knicks still have to pay him his whole contract they get nothing out of the deal. He needs to give up some of his money (if it's only one million he is being ridiculous) he's going to make the vet minimum anyway which will be more dollars in his pocket on top of the buyout money. He should look at the money he's giving up from his contract as an investment. If he gives up even a few million of his total contract to get bought out he will more than recoup what is lost if he plays well to end the season.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
No news news from Steph. Although I must mention that his affordable Starbury sneakers are available online.  ;)

Lol. What are they 15 bucks? I bet they rip in a day.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6