Author Topic: T'wolves are my 2nd favorite team  (Read 5265 times)

Re: T'wolves is my 2nd favorite team
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 12:51:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
LOL, Doc Rivers is a not a good coach, but a great coach for this team
Sorry
and no KG isnt running the show, or coaching this team

McHale Deserves little to no credit whatsoever, he's run that franchise to the ground and making him coach was making his death bed, he's on his last legs with that franchise...hes the one whos picked all those players, its about [dang] time they start showing some results, albeit against horrible competition.
And Doc was the guy who brought Big Al along to the point where we could get a guy like KG...your blind-eye towards doc rivers role in last years championship is laughable

The only reason mchale ran the franchise to the ground is that he couldn't find coaches to get his guys to play at the level they can. And now like you said he is taking care of the mess. Maybe the truth is that he is a great coach?

How about this. Lets try to put rivers in mchale shoes right now and tell me you are confident they wouldn't start losing again haha

i feel like i'm crazy pills how many of you think doc is a great coach. He is mediocre at best

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 12:54:24 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Sorry

McHale Deserves little to no credit whatsoever, he's run that franchise to the ground and making him coach was making his death bed, he's on his last legs with that franchise...hes the one whos picked all those players, its about [dang] time they start showing some results, albeit against horrible competition.
And Doc was the guy who brought Big Al along to the point where we could get a guy like KG...your blind-eye towards doc rivers role in last years championship is laughable

The only reason mchale ran the franchise to the ground is that he couldn't find coaches to get his guys to play at the level they can. And now like you said he is taking care of the mess. Maybe the truth is that he is a great coach?

How about this. Lets try to put rivers in mchale shoes right now and tell me you are confident they wouldn't start losing again haha

i feel like i'm crazy pills how many of you think doc is a great coach. He is mediocre at best

ok lets just take your opening statement, that he's a great coach because of this one streak.

Was he a horrable coach when he went on a 8 game losing streak to start his coaching tenure with the wolves?

when exactly did he become this world beating coach? 2 weeks ago?

what happens when they go on a losing streak again? (and they will) Will that not be the fault of his coaching?

I mean, your justifications for why he's so great and doc is so god awful are just so illogical it's hard to debate them honestly.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sorry

ok lets just take your opening statement, that he's a great coach because of this one streak.

Was he a horrable coach when he went on a 8 game losing streak to start his coaching tenure with the wolves?

what happens when they go on a losing streak again? (and they will) Will that not be the fault of his coaching?

I mean, your justifications for why he's so great and doc is so god awful are just so illogical it's hard to debate them honestly.

THis is not his first stint as a coach. He took over the team a couple of years ago and he helped them finish well.

Also what logic do you have implying doc rivers is great?? or he is better than mchale as a coach?? Because he sukked so bad with the team we had two years ago, makes horrendous decisions as a coach on the court even till this day and won a championship far from him being the reason??

If you just read about my point about switching rivers and mchale positions currently, the celtics would be just as good if not better as a team and doc would send the wolves rotting to the ground again. (in theory, educated guess, thinking rationally etc.)

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
they've got some good talent down there, we should call some of them up to the Celtics and give them a look.... oh wait they aren't our D-League counterpart?

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Sorry

THis is not his first stint as a coach. He took over the team a couple of years ago and he helped them finish well.

Also what logic do you have implying doc rivers is great?? or he is better than mchale as a coach?? Because he sukked so bad with the team we had two years ago, makes horrendous decisions as a coach on the court even till this day and won a championship far from him being the reason??

If you just read about my point about switching rivers and mchale positions currently, the celtics would be just as good if not better as a team and doc would send the wolves rotting to the ground again. (in theory, educated guess, thinking rationally etc.)

Put rivers with the wolves from the beggining of the season, and they have the better record than they have now...you comparing Big Al and company to the players they were 2-3 year ago is wrong

And Mchales first stint started with him firing Flip Saunders, after I believe a 20-20 start (dumb move) and then didnt get the KG wolves to the playoffs...or was it KG who was really the coach?
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Sorry

not to stop your logic leap, but where did i give you the idea that i think doc rivers is a great coach? you've never asked what i thought of doc rivers, you just assume im against you because I wont jump two feet aboard the "kevin mchale= great coach or greatest coach?" logic trail, which is patently false.

That doesn't change the fact that i think your entire love affair with mchale based on 8 games and discounting everything else to put him above a coach who you may persoanly dislike but is an NBA champion laughable.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
i watched the first half of the milwaukee game tonight...hard to gauge since milwaukee is so bad, but they were fun to watch.

the worst part was seeing mchale taking that long walk from the bench to the locker room...my goodness he moves like an old man.  i kept waiting for big al and love to help him like they do when a guy screws up a knee...

Amen to that. It is sad to see him like that especially knowing most of that he did for the C's!

I actually ran into him scouting a few years ago in one of the regional NCAA tournaments and watched the poor guy walk down about 50 stairs of the stadium. It was one of the sadder things I have ever seen. He was grabbing that railing like he was about to fall every step of the way. Fortunately I didn't see him walk back out!

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I was at the milwaukee gam last night (milwaukee's doing the free ticket giveaway the day of games, which rules big time) and have been watching the wolves on league pass most of the season.  The main thing here is that McHale's got them believing in themselves, much like Doc used to get accused of being good at with the pre-kg c's.  Allowing Telfair to start, moving Foye to his natural SG, letting Gomes shoot, and working the ball throughaljeff has been a great recipe for them. 

I remember watching those games during the c's 18 game losing streak (w/ pierce hurt)2 years ago where they would come so close to beating a good team and then handing it over, which is exaxctly what the pre-newyears wolves were doing.  Now they are fighting through tough stretches and mchael has a number of options as far as how the p[lays can unfold...he's go the low post feed to Al who is developing a ton of patientce with when's a good time to get his shot up vs pass it back outside, he's got a screen and roll monster with craig smith, he's got miller off the bench who draws enough attention on his drives (which he's doing more than shooting) to kick it out to gomes or foye, both of whom are willing to give it up to the other if their shots not there.

Long story shorter, the wolves are playing inside-out ball with high confidence and 3 shooters ready to fire from deep in Gomes, Foye, and Miller (and even Telfair has been draining them).  Role players like Smith, Carney, and Cardinal are doing exactly what they are being asked to do without trying to take over.

Admittedly, I'm interested to see how the c's d will foil this fluidity becvause the wolves haven't been playing terribly great defensive teams during this hot stretch.  But I will gladly watch Minny win another and another and another.... ;)
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

Re: T'wolves are my 2nd favorite team
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm really happy to see the Wolves developing into a cohesive unit, and McHale has done a great job of teaching everyone their role and getting them to stick to it.  It was an awkward transition, but they are to the point now where they can close out games against bad and mediocre teams, and usually hang around against good and great teams.  Gonna have to start watching them more.

And as for the other bit, yeah, Doc is the worst coach in NBA history to win 66 games and a championship and then 60+ and a potential repeat the next.  Luckily for him, that's like 4 guys.  McHale would have won us 75 games last year, swept the playoffs, and be at least 44-2 this year.  And everyone knows KG would never talk over another coach in the huddle, and even if he did, his Bball knowledge is so useless it would be stupid  to let him, so obviously Doc hasn't had anything to do with the last 2 seasons ::)

Re: T'wolves are my 2nd favorite team
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i think doc is probably an average coach. i DO think he made really weird decisions before the big 3. things like one time going with a 2-3 zone against the hawks that were at the time the best 3 point shooting team in the league. at the same time i would'nt trade him for any single coach in the nba right now. the players love him and respect him . that can change but right now i think that's the case.
  i love mchale. he's one of the most likeable c's ever. i think this is partly because i don't think he takes the game as serious as others. i also think this is why he has been mostly a sub par gm.that was probably kind but david stern really did deliberately try to mess mchale up with those draft picks.i would be shocked if other coaches viewed mchale as a very good or even good coach. i think mchale would probably admit himself he does'nt know exactly what he's doin. my opinion is the players love this more freedom that they are getting. they are on a high. bottom line is i think it's been a positive for the wolves and i seriously doubt mchale comes back next year.
  the coach of the year award...do we really know who is doing the best job? ofcourse not. never do.