Author Topic: T'wolves are my 2nd favorite team  (Read 5257 times)

T'wolves are my 2nd favorite team
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:32:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
And when the celtics don't play my favorite team to watch. Al Jefferson like we all knew is tearing [it] up. Gomes and telfair are playing more than decent and what can you say about one of the best teachers in the league Mr Mchale

I wished we had mchale as a coach because the celtics team a couple of years ago are not any better than the current wolves team and they are doing so much better = mchale clearly superior to rivers in terms of coaching skills.

In any case, they have a good team down there, foye is proving everyone wrong that he was a bust, Kevin Love is looking is a worthy trade for oj mayo and rodney carney is a player the celtics could use right about now (plays hard, fearless, nails the three)

As long as mchale stays as a coach and they keep the core team together, they are a playoff team next year and who knows they might just sneak in this year
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:54:08 PM by Redz »

Re: T'wolves is my 2nd favorite team
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:46:42 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Their play as of late deserves some praise, they have some nice players and McHale certainly improved the way that team see itself, but you're going to feel disappointed at some point in the future.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Who called Foye a bust?

I'd go so far as to criticize him for being "not Brandon Roy," but that's really a McHale problem.  Beyond that, when he's been healthy, he's been good and getting better.  I've got no complaint, save for the tongue-in-cheek one above.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:02:49 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
1st- Bashing the coach that brought back the Larry O'Brien Trophy after 22 years is not right. Way to be classy! Also you have to factor in how young those players were when we had them, so you can't compare Al of 2004 to Al of 2009. Its OK to love an ex-Celtics but not at the expense of our current team. Just enjoy it!

2nd- Please don't compare Kevin Love to OJ. They're not on the same stratosphere. That was a horrible trade for the Wolves. K. Love is a role player, while OJ has superstar potential. I almost forgot Brandon Roy (Superstar) plays for Portland.

3rd- Rodney Carney is getting minutes cause he plays for THE TIMBER-WOLVES. Just like JR, he probably wouldn't have seen a minute of playing time here. Nobody knows what JR has to offer except Ainge & JR himself. I for one think JR & Walker would be tearing S**t up if given opportunity. So just relax on those late round picks that are playing well.

4th- You can't be serious about Minnesota making the playoffs next year in the western conference. I'm sorry but you don't make any sense. Do you know how hard it is for teams to make the playoffs in the west? Minnesota is playing well "NOW", but they can't compete with the Spurs, Fakers, Nuggets, Hornets.............

P.S. Next time make a thread that makes sense, PLEASE!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:35:12 AM by Change »

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:04:27 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i watched the first half of the milwaukee game tonight...hard to gauge since milwaukee is so bad, but they were fun to watch.

the worst part was seeing mchale taking that long walk from the bench to the locker room...my goodness he moves like an old man.  i kept waiting for big al and love to help him like they do when a guy screws up a knee...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:28:09 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Kevin McHale is not a better coach than Doc Rivers and it is a false statement to say that they basically coached the same players. Doc coached a dismantled team full of very very young players, a lot of rookies and players with troubled pasts along with Paul Pierce. Kevin McHale is coaching Al Jefferson as a player who is now getting his recognition as a dominant big not because of McHale's coaching but because of his increased development. Gomes has also had increased developement, and Sebastian Telfair is now a player who seems to be taking his career a little bit more seriously and trying to stay on the court and out of trouble. Telfair of course has also seen that increased developement and the improvement of these players do not in any way show that McHale is a superior coach to Doc. Plus I'm not sure of his exact numbers as a head coach but I'm pretty sure his record is around 30-25 and the last time i checked he never won coach of the year or a championship so that comparison is pretty silly.

Also TP to Change because I really didn't read anybody elses posts before ranting and you had a lot of the same thoughts as I.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:32:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
"last time i checked he never won coach of the year or a championship so that comparison is pretty silly. "

dude seriously? Don't you think getting the big three was actually the biggest part to winning it all? c'mon man.

to me it seems like most of the time kg is the coach, thibs strategist and doc a old time player getting a free ride. He can't even get his substitutions pattern correct until he is forced to. He is a bs coach imo. Mchale was 10x better player than rivers and is also a better coach

Also the celtics team two years ago talent wise imo was as comparable to the wolves roster you see today. the point is this, twolves were in hell beginning of the year and since mchale came in they are winning. Yeah its against bottom teams but the celtics a couple of years ago didn't win squat against nobody.

Just to exclamate my point with rivers we need a key bench guy to even think about repeating, with mchale that wouldn't be an issue

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
I saw this and felt like being "that guy" that pointed out that it should be "t'wolves are my 2nd favorite team" but now that I think of it I'm not sure you're wrong. Then again you wouldn't say the celtics is on a 8 game winning streak.

I don't think Mchale is a better coach than Rivers but I do't think the gap is that wide either. Doc has greatly improved as a coach over the last year. I think a lot of that has to do with the big three and coach thibs. I feel now Doc can play to his strengths, such as player relations and management and not have to worry about things that he wasn't very good at. THis has also enabled him to imporve in a couple of areas. Most notably calling plays after a timeout which I felt was a weakness prior to the middle of last season. I think DOc is in a perfect situation for his skill sets as a coach. I think if you put McHale on the Celtics the record wouldn't be as good and probably the same for Rivers on the Wolves

But the Wolves are fun to follow. I wonder who will develop the more consistent outside shot Telfair or Rondo

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 06:48:32 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I saw this and felt like being "that guy" that pointed out that it should be "t'wolves are my 2nd favorite team" but now that I think of it I'm not sure you're wrong. Then again you wouldn't say the celtics is on a 8 game winning streak.

I believe he stated it correctly although it does sound a lot better when you say the "T'wolves are my 2nd favorite team."

In response to triboy... getting the big three was not the only reason that doc coached the celtics to their first championship in 22 years. Do you remember the Celtics' trip to Italy? Doc had to make these guys believe in sharing the ball, he had to make them believe in ubuntu. Each of these guys have never been on a team where they weren't the number 1 option so this was strange for these players. This team could have gone either way last season. The team could have played terribly together like the Knicks. I'm not saying McHale couldn't have coached us to a championship. I don't know enough about him as a coach. What I'm saying is that Doc Rivers did and knocking him and saying Kevin McHale, a man who has coached a lifetime total of circa 50 games, is a better coach is disrespectful and unneeded. If you can remember back, people expected this team to win it all(In 2009). The experts didn't expect this team to get used to playing a new way so quickly. This is an impressive feat not only for the team but for the coach as well. Also you once again said that the T'wolves have the same talent as did the Celtics two years ago. You really need to read the comments posted by Change and myself meticulously and with an open mind. As we said, the players who you are referring to have had time to grow as players, that is why they are playing well. Saying that they are playing well because they are being coached by McHale and not Doc is blasphemous. McHale started his current coaching stint going 0-8. McHale has stated that he does not have any intentions to continue coaching as he doesn't really like doing it. Comparing Doc and McHale as players has no place in this topic, although it is your topic and I guess you can talk about whatever you want... but the fact that McHale was a better player does not mean he is also a better coach. The statements you are making are pretty ridiculous, and this is  coming from a guy who has really never argued with somebody on this forum about anything. Seriously though Between these questionable statements, your need to mask profanities to convey your point, and your many grammatical errors this thread is truly a pain to read.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:35 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
"last time i checked he never won coach of the year or a championship so that comparison is pretty silly. "

dude seriously? Don't you think getting the big three was actually the biggest part to winning it all? c'mon man.

to me it seems like most of the time kg is the coach, thibs strategist and doc a old time player getting a free ride. He can't even get his substitutions pattern correct until he is forced to. He is a bs coach imo. Mchale was 10x better player than rivers and is also a better coach

Also the celtics team two years ago talent wise imo was as comparable to the wolves roster you see today. the point is this, twolves were in hell beginning of the year and since mchale came in they are winning. Yeah its against bottom teams but the celtics a couple of years ago didn't win squat against nobody.

Just to exclamate my point with rivers we need a key bench guy to even think about repeating, with mchale that wouldn't be an issue

you do realize your new "best coach evarsss1!"lost a ton of games before the current streak right?

They are an ok team in the western conferance who got hot against some bad teams. They are fun to watch, Thier we agree, but to somehow parley this mini streak and the fact that they have ex-celtic players into a thinly vieled "Doc is a terrable coach who just got lucky!!!!" thread is stretching the bounds of logic even for a tri post.....

The moral of the story should be good for them, they seem to at least have a talented young squad, not 3 posts trying to get people to agree doc sucks and a muppet could have brought us banner 17....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:44:31 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:06:02 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Um, Kevin Mchale is a better coach because he coaches some former celtics who were practically in diapers when doc had them?
dude, get some better logic please, because in that case, Ill just go ahead and say McHale couldnt even coach KG to the playoffs and Doc coached him to his first title
next
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
McHale has coached what?  Like 50 games over 8 years or something like that?  Please.  I will say that he probably temporarily has the Woves playing with more effort because he used to be the big boss.  But this won't last forever.
I really enjoy this team also.  Kevin Love is has been coming on and I'd really like to see his rebounding numbers with starters minutes.  The thing people don't mention when they judge the Mayo/Love trade is that the Wolves also got Mike Miller, who has been a real good player over his career.  The trade seemed a lot more in the Wolves favor until Miller decided to be invisible on this team.  I have no idea how a player like Miller can play over 30 minutes and take only 4 shots.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
hey dudes concentrate on the topic and nothing else. I don't care if you don't like that i have bad grammar, honestly what the heck does that have to do with this forum. We use improper grammar, spelling etc its not like writing an essay so chill

In any case to get back to my point since it feels like nobody really gets what i'm saying, i feel you got to give proper credit where its actually due and that is mainly to everyone cept rivers imo for last years win.Its sad when you as a coach speaks and kg steps in, interrupts him during huddles and the coach says after "yeah exactly guys". (we have seen these clips before)

He has good relations with his players?? he is a good teacher?? fine i don't doubt that, but how about strategy, discipline, substitution pattern etc.

He might be a decent enough fit for the celts but mchale imo(please understand what imo is and nyo) is a better coach even in his short career doing it. His teachings, substitution patterns, calling timeouts at the proper time and we all know he has good relations and superb teaching skills with his players. He hasn't won a ring as a coach but he would have last year if he was coaching the celts. (most nba coaches would have)

In any case i'll get back to the topic and state "yes" i believe just how much blazers have a chance to make the players next year and this year i believe the t'wolves will by next

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 12:37:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
so are we focusing on the topic of the thread, or the new topic you've snuck in, that doc sucks as a coach?

because the orginal topic, that the T-wolves are a fun team to watch and follow, i can get behind. The secondary topic that has irked alot of people that your on now, that a winning streak with celtics players from 2 years ago that still puts them firmly in the basement of the west  makes mchale a hands down  better coach than doc somehow, not so much.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 12:39:26 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
LOL, Doc Rivers is a not a good coach, but a great coach for this team
Sorry
and no KG isnt running the show, or coaching this team

McHale Deserves little to no credit whatsoever, he's run that franchise to the ground and making him coach was making his death bed, he's on his last legs with that franchise...hes the one whos picked all those players, its about [dang] time they start showing some results, albeit against horrible competition.
And Doc was the guy who brought Big Al along to the point where we could get a guy like KG...your blind-eye towards doc rivers role in last years championship is laughable
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce