Poll

Big Al Star (choose one of the first two, then one from the 3rd and 4th options)

He will make the game
He will not make the game
He deserves to make the game
He does not deserve to make the game

Author Topic: Big Al: All Star...Yea or Nay?  (Read 7661 times)

Re: Big Al: All Star...Yea or Nay?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
He is covering out of position though in my opinion.  I'd like to see how he would cover 4's on a regular basis.  Guy's he could muscle instead of being muscled.
do it

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Absofruitly he should be, but he wont be.

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
One question, who's he going against?  Shaq and who else, Amare? Bynum?

I think he def deserves All Star.  The thing about fan voting is that are only a few games on national TV (Spurs, Lakers, Celts, Suns, Heat, Mavs, Hornets, Cavs and now Portland) so we barely get to see these young guys playing well.  Granted they're on a weak team, but still.  We are overlooking Al Jefferson, Kevin Durant that are having a tremendous season.

Another thing too, I can see picking MVP based on league record, but I think All Star should not ALL be based on this criteria.  The guys on a bad team are still out there busting their butts for their team.

With that said, Al Jefferson might be only second to Tim Duncan in scoring ability (and by that I mean variety of offensive moves).  Other players may be more athletic than him, but he has such a great touch that cannot be overlooked.  He def deserves the All Star notch.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Well, Al is not a good defender on the ball but he's an excellent defensive rebounder, so he's not as bad defensively as some think.

That is true.... but you can't rebound a made basket.

Al will almost always outscore the man he's covering, so he's a net positive there.  And his rebounds will come when the other team misses from the outside.

I agree and I love having him on the Wolves... but simply outscoring your man to create a "net positive" is not always enough, especially when you are the cornerstone of the team.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
He is covering out of position though in my opinion.  I'd like to see how he would cover 4's on a regular basis.  Guy's he could muscle instead of being muscled.

Which is why I was desperately hoping they traded McCants + expiring contracts for the best possible center they could get (and keep Mayo).... instead of getting Love and turning Al into a center.

Oh well...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
He would have my vote.

I love Big Al. Miss him too.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 08:08:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Which is why I was desperately hoping they traded McCants + expiring contracts for the best possible center they could get (and keep Mayo).... instead of getting Love and turning Al into a center.

Yeah, i am still scratching my head over that Mayo for Love trade.  Still, Miller was a nice pickup.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I think he's out of position at pf.  He's a center.  Undersized, but that's the way it is.  He lacks the lateral mobility to defend quicker pfs, and gets into foul trouble.

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
He deserves to make it. He really elevated his game this season. Haven't watched many Wolves game but from the games I did see, he looks like he has improved his defensive game.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:14:34 PM by BigAlTheFuture »
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think he's out of position at pf.  He's a center.  Undersized, but that's the way it is.  He lacks the lateral mobility to defend quicker pfs, and gets into foul trouble.

He didn't get into much foul trouble as a starting pf for us. His opposing PER is lower as a pf than a center every year, I think.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 09:27:04 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
i have voted for him several times for the All Star Game. his numbers are better than Yao's (22.2 and 10.6 compared to 19.9 and 9.6). Al has no supporting cast, so he has to carry the T-wolves. In my eyes he is all star no doubt.
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Imagine if the Wolves had taken Lopez.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
A tidbit from tonight's game thread on Yahoo.  (I wish the game wre on TV)

"4:32  MIN - C. Smith dunks the ball. Assist: A. Jefferson
4:35  MIN - A. Jefferson steals the ball from R. Sessions"

I would have loved to see that play.  Maybe he's learning. His BBIQ was pretty good.

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 09:40:47 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I think he deserves to go, but so do too many other PF/C players in the West.  Someone has to get snubbed, so it's going to be the young guy who plays for a bad team in a small market.

I think Duncan and Shaq are clear cut above him (Shaq not for stats but you have to give him a bump because he is so fun to watch, and that's what it is all about).  Then it's tough with Yao, Dirk, and Amare all of whom are more established than Big Al in the minds of fans and coaches.  I'd probably notch him ahead of Dirk and Amare, but I can understand how some people wouldn't.

Don't worry.  I think in 2-3 years, barring injury or some amazing regression, Big Al will start making multiple all star games.

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
A tidbit from tonight's game thread on Yahoo.  (I wish the game wre on TV)

"4:32  MIN - C. Smith dunks the ball. Assist: A. Jefferson
4:35  MIN - A. Jefferson steals the ball from R. Sessions"

I would have loved to see that play.  Maybe he's learning. His BBIQ was pretty good.

Saw it.... the steal was more a bad play by Richard Jefferson than a good play by Al, and Smith was cherry picking... nevertheless, Al has been playing decently well.

Like I said, I love him on the Wolves... but he still has a long way to go before he's a superstar... I think he can get there though, he just needs the right mindset and willingness to do the little things.