Poll

Big Al Star (choose one of the first two, then one from the 3rd and 4th options)

He will make the game
He will not make the game
He deserves to make the game
He does not deserve to make the game

Author Topic: Big Al: All Star...Yea or Nay?  (Read 7660 times)

Big Al: All Star...Yea or Nay?
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It seems to be popular opinion that Shaq will make the All Star game as a reserve and Big Al will be left on the outside looking in.  A twofold question: Will Big Al be selected to the game?  Does he deserve it?

I say yes to both.  The guy has stepped it up another notch (as he has done every season of his career.  I haven't seen the T-Wolves to say whether the argument that he has no D still holds enough water, but Minnesota recent run of success should be enough to get him over the "good player on a bad team" stigma.

Yes and yes for me, but it just may be wishful thinking.  I'd love to see Big Al make it.
Yup

Re: Big Al: All Star...Yea or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
He deserves to, and it's a toss up as to whether he will or not, I voted as to both either way. Hopefully he makes it!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think Big Al deserves to make it.  I haven't checked to see who he's up against, but if it comes down to him or Shaq, since the game is in Phoenix, and this is probably Shaq's last chance at the game, he will probably be the sentimental pick.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:25:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
He deserves to but I don't think he's gonna make it.  

Hope I'm wrong and he gets there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just think its awesome he's doing so well.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
YEA!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
He deserves to be an all-star. I think he won't be because Shaq will get in instead (who doesn't deserve it).

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I say YEA.

But as an aside, the recent play of the T-Puppies and the development of some of the players that McHale brought in for KG have started to make that trade not look as lopsided as most thought. Big Al is going to be an All-Star for the Pups for many. many years and currently Minny has three players from that trade staring for them on a team that has won 11 of their last 15 games, has the best won-loss in 2009(9-2), and boast wins against Phoenix, New Orleans, Detroit, Milwaukee and 2 over Chicago this year.

Gomes and Smith have turned out to be a really nice set of tweeners, similar to Boston's Davis and Powe, only better. Telfair has actually taken some steps forward. Randy Foye has taken the biggest step forward this year and Kevin Love, once given a role off the bench, has played well in a limited role rather than being the starter that had to produce.

I like their parts and won't be surprised to see Big Al make the ASG and wouldn't be surprised at all to see this team win 35-40 games, when all is said and done. 20-20 or better the rest of the way for this team would not be unheard of.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Shaq has had an okay year, but this is on a team with good talent and sitting out the 2nd games of back to backs.  Big Al deserves it for the tear they are own of late and the monster numbers he keeps putting up while having to play major major minutes at times.

However, I think Al will get the shaft this year. Sad.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 05:29:05 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
he deserves to be one, and i believe he'll get the nod over shaq. the winning team arguement is getting a bit silly. they ARE winning. and he's the best offensive post player in the game. period.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
It seems to be popular opinion that Shaq will make the All Star game as a reserve and Big Al will be left on the outside looking in.  A twofold question: Will Big Al be selected to the game?  Does he deserve it?

I say yes to both.  The guy has stepped it up another notch (as he has done every season of his career.  I haven't seen the T-Wolves to say whether the argument that he has no D still holds enough water, but Minnesota recent run of success should be enough to get him over the "good player on a bad team" stigma.

Yes and yes for me, but it just may be wishful thinking.  I'd love to see Big Al make it.

His game is becoming more and more a glaring dichotomy of strengths and weaknesses. His strengths are very strong... his weaknesses are very weak.  His defense has really not improved (for instance, in that massive 39 point effort against the Bulls, a team with supposedly no interior scoring, Joakim Noah and Ty Thomas combined to go for 25 points on 10-15 shooting... the previous win over New Orleans (no Chandler or West) included a 16 points on 8-13 shooting for the two healthy Hornet big men... juggernauts Sean Marks and Melvin Ely... the loss to the Jazz was mostly because of big nights from Milsap and Okur (and Al disappearing in the 4th)... win over the Clippers recently included no Camby, Randolph, or Kaman... the trend?  Mostly battered or bad frontlines putting up surprisingly efficient nights against the Wolves.  It's not all Al's fault by any means, but he is definitely a big part of it.  The other thing he is really failing to develop is passing.  He becomes a fragile little girl (mean that in the nicest way Al) when a double comes at him.  He still wants to shoot, and does, and usually misses... he is not comfortable passing once he has the ball.

That said... if Amare can start the game, and if Dirk is considered a huge lock... then yes, Al Jefferson has just as much of a right to be there.

(Please work on the D effort and passing Al!  Then it won't be a debate if you should be an all star, and my Wolves might get their first 30 win season as a franchise sans-KG!)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Definitely is worthy.  T-Wolves are really starting to play good basketball too.  McHale is a doing a pretty good job.  Took him a bit to get in the groove of things, but he did a good job making Foye go back to his natural position as a two guard.
do it

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, Al is not a good defender on the ball but he's an excellent defensive rebounder, so he's not as bad defensively as some think.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 06:27:47 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Well, Al is not a good defender on the ball but he's an excellent defensive rebounder, so he's not as bad defensively as some think.

That is true.... but you can't rebound a made basket.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

That is true.... but you can't rebound a made basket.

Al will almost always outscore the man he's covering, so he's a net positive there.  And his rebounds will come when the other team misses from the outside.