Author Topic: The Bynum Effect  (Read 4015 times)

The Bynum Effect
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
Interesting stats that you could use for Hollinger. I thought it would be interesting to see the difference Bynum made this season. I took a look at the games that Gasol played with the Lakers including the western conference playoffs but not including the Finals against the Celtics. I left the Finals out of the equation because I wanted to see how the Lakers were performing in the two seasons against the rest of the League. Here are my findings:

Record
w/o Bynum: 36-7
w/Bynum:   35-8

PPG
w/o Bynum: 109.0
w/Bynum:   107.6

OPPG:
w/o Bynum: 98.7
w/ Bynum:  98.8

Pt Differential:
w/o Bynum: 10.3
w/Bynum:    8.8

Home Games vs Road Games
w/o Bynum: 21 home 22 road
w Bynum:   26 home 17 road***
*** 2 of the games were on the "road" against the Clippers in Staples. It should actually be 28-15 home vs road

Interpretation: The Lakers with Bynum are scoring less, allowing more points, have a worst point differential, and a worse record playing a far easier schedule than last year. All the talk (along with the Lakers "great bench") was how Bynum would be the difference this year. In truth, you could make the case, at least statistically, that the Lakers are not as good as last year.

I don't see the Lakers being that much better than last year. What really has changed? Ariza and Bynum are quality additions, but has that equated to a better team? The stats point out no. The Lakers have better personnel this year but they still have not played any better, at least up to now.

I maintain that the winner of the Boston/Cleveland series will win the Finals. The Lakers, with so much road games left, will fall behind Bos and Cleve in the all important home court advantage.

Another stat that goes to show the importance of home court: There have been 8 games played between Bos, Cleve, Orl, and the Lakers. The home team has won 6 of the 8. The exceptions being Orlando over the Lakers in LA and Boston over Orlando in Orlando.

Did you also know that in the Boston Cleveland series since the Big 3 was formed, the home team is 13-0. Wow! Home court against the Cavs is essential to winning another title.

Re: The Bynum Effect
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
The problem with Bynum is that like with most young players comes inconsistency.  He can't be a beast every night.  Some nights he's invisible on the court.

I am surprised though that their numbers are not better than last year.  So much for them playing better defense. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Three good games in a row for Mr. Bynum.  Posters argued with me yesterday for saying that I believe he is starting to come on, but I stand by that.  Bynum has special talent and it's going to come out eventually.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1) Bynum is becoming an offensive force.   Lakers had no offensive issues last year.  They had some defensive weaknesses that are still there.

2) I think that Boston can beat Cleveland in the playoffs if Cleveland has home court advantage.  (I rather the Celtics have HCA, but I do not think it is necessary)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We have to accept the fact that the Lakers are alot better this year than last, mostly because: Ariza has become a real force for them; Bynum is back, and getting better by the day; and Gasol has really refined his role with the team, and is playing consistently like an all star.  Are we up for the challenge? I think so. I think Perk can neutralize alot of what Bynum can do offensively.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
1) Bynum is becoming an offensive force.   Lakers had no offensive issues last year.  They had some defensive weaknesses that are still there.

2) I think that Boston can beat Cleveland in the playoffs if Cleveland has home court advantage.  (I rather the Celtics have HCA, but I do not think it is necessary)

Really?  They are undefeated at home, are without two of their starters, and you have such confidence? Wish I could say the same, but really feel we need HCA to beat the Cavs.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Any thread that diminishes a Laker
deserves a Tommy Point  ;)

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Bynum owes Kareem everything that he has accomplished so far. Without Kareem, Bynum would be at POB's level. I have a suggestion for Ainge bring Kareem here so he can help develop Perk & POB.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Clifford Ray of the Celtics has the reputation of being perhaps the best big man coach.  Look what he's done for POB!  Bynum is no stiff.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Really?  They are undefeated at home, are without two of their starters, and you have such confidence? Wish I could say the same, but really feel we need HCA to beat the Cavs.

I think the Celtics are a better team.  And I think they are good enough to win on the road in the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:29:37 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

To be fair the Cavs usually have 8 starters so even with Z and Delonte out the refs can pick up the slack for them ;D
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 02:31:38 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

I think the Celtics are a better team.  And I think they are good enough to win on the road in the playoffs.

I agree I think at the start of the playoffs they may have been using home court advantage as a crutch. As soon as they lost that first home game their road woes miraculously disappeared.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.