Author Topic: Lebron James Buzzer beater in Golden State  (Read 10738 times)

Re: Lebron James Buzzer beater in Golden State
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If they're not going to lose now when Z and Delonte are out, when are they?

They still have that pesky Lebron fellah
Yup

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »

Offline markketch

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
It seems like they get the calls in every arena.

Again, I point to last night where LeBron was clearly fouled by Biedrins in the last two minutes but the refs swallowed their whistles. What call did the Cavs get last night that won them the game?

Guys stepped up and hit big shots - LeBron, Mo, Gibson and even Ben Wallace.  None of those shots were aided by the officials.

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »

Offline illantari

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
If they're not going to lose now when Z and Delonte are out, when are they?

They still have that pesky Lebron fellah

Yeah, but he's not showing any signs of slowing down (yet) so I can only pick on their other starters for now.

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I watched this game. What was particularly annoying about this game was not only that Cleveland won a game they didn't really deserve (the Warriors gave it away), but that it will now be talked about ad naseaum how clutch Lebrick is, when really he chokes all the time. In this game, the reality was that the biggest shot was a Mo Williams three from the corner. It gave the Cavs the lead and totally changed the game. Lebron, who had nothing to do with the play that Williams got the three on, I might add, MISSED an easy layup the possession before. Totally unclutch. He also got rejected at the rim by Biedrins three posessions before the Mo Williams three. Before that, he tried to go behind the back and got stripped by Maggette. Basically, Lebron struggled and made things worse for his team for the entire second half right up until the buzzer beater, which is going to be the only play in the highlights, thus perpetuating the myth that Lebron is clutch. Just makes me feel exasperated.

I gave you a Tommy Point for this but the real point is that Cleveland is a formidable team this year with the addition of Mo Williams. Also Delonte West and Varejevo have stepped up their games and they commit to playing defense. This is a much better team than last year. My only answer to stopping Lebron is to have Scalabrine tackle Lebron (may need help from Bruschi and Seau from the front row) traveling to the rack.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 01:56:59 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Well, this was an entertainging thread to read.  Anyone who comes on here and complains about preferential treatment that Lebron gets needs to watch what the Celtics get away with.  It's a two way street so please stop using that lame excuse.

To the poster who predicted the Cavs will start losing...why?  They are missing two key players right now and are winning games.  You expect the losing to start when they are fully healthy?

And to the poster who predicted the Cavs would lose to Utah.....how'd that game turn out? 

You guys should probably start giving the Cavs the respect they deserve and treat them as a formidable opponent instead of making excuses for their good record with thoughts like they are getting lucky wins and favorable treatment from the refs.

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Am I wrong... or does LeBron James have like 10x the buzzer beater game winners than Kobe Bryant.

Why is Kobe considered so "clutch"?  Seems to me he bricks every "hero" shot he attempts.  Meanwhile... there are several memorable moments of Bron taking a game... usually from some game-winning drive (arguably traveling sans the crab dribble game... but still)

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Well, this was an entertainging thread to read.  Anyone who comes on here and complains about preferential treatment that Lebron gets needs to watch what the Celtics get away with.  It's a two way street so please stop using that lame excuse.

To the poster who predicted the Cavs will start losing...why?  They are missing two key players right now and are winning games.  You expect the losing to start when they are fully healthy?

And to the poster who predicted the Cavs would lose to Utah.....how'd that game turn out? 

You guys should probably start giving the Cavs the respect they deserve and treat them as a formidable opponent instead of making excuses for their good record with thoughts like they are getting lucky wins and favorable treatment from the refs.

Celtics get away with so much rough stuff it's ridiculous.   I absolutely refuse ever complain about the refs.  KG murders people on a nightly basis. 

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 02:22:48 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Am I wrong... or does LeBron James have like 10x the buzzer beater game winners than Kobe Bryant.

Why is Kobe considered so "clutch"?  Seems to me he bricks every "hero" shot he attempts.  Meanwhile... there are several memorable moments of Bron taking a game... usually from some game-winning drive (arguably traveling sans the crab dribble game... but still)

LeBron is the greatest to play since MJ. 
Period.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

I absolutely respect the Cavs as a formidable opponent.  They will be very hard to beat come playoff time, whether or not they make any more moves.

And I don't like complaining about refs and preferential treatment, but on that topic, LeBron is the "King".  He still is one of, if not THE, best player in the league.  I'm not taking that away from him.  But the guy gets away with murder.  Not so much on the defensive end.  But when he's allowed to do offensively, coupled with his already amazing talent, make him near impossible to stop.

But I'll concede that the Celtics get away with a lot at times on the defensive end, because they're a tough team and get the benefit of the doubt at times.  But I disagree with the poster that says KG murders people on a nightly basis.  KG is probably one of the least respected superstars when it comes to calls from the refs.  I even noticed it when he was with Minnesota and the Celtics were bad.  We were used to opposing teams getting prefential treatment.  But KG always stuck out as a guy that wouldn't get many calls for himself.  And since I've gotten the chance to see him full-time, that's even more apparent.  Especially on offense.  He is constantly getting pushed off his spot as he shoots in the post, and it's hardly ever called.  And he also gets a lot of cheap calls on the other end.

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff

I'm pretty sure that was LeBron's first buzzer beater to win a game in his career.  LeBron is the most dominant player in the league right now.  But if I've got a few seconds left in a game, and my team down one, I'll still take Kobe any day over LeBron.  I'd take Pierce as well.  If there's only time for a jump shot, I don't have as much confidence in his.

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

LeBron is the greatest to play since MJ. 
Period.

str8 to the point, and exactly what i think.

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I absolutely respect the Cavs as a formidable opponent.  They will be very hard to beat come playoff time, whether or not they make any more moves.

And I don't like complaining about refs and preferential treatment, but on that topic, LeBron is the "King".  He still is one of, if not THE, best player in the league.  I'm not taking that away from him.  But the guy gets away with murder.  Not so much on the defensive end.  But when he's allowed to do offensively, coupled with his already amazing talent, make him near impossible to stop.

But I'll concede that the Celtics get away with a lot at times on the defensive end, because they're a tough team and get the benefit of the doubt at times.  But I disagree with the poster that says KG murders people on a nightly basis.  KG is probably one of the least respected superstars when it comes to calls from the refs.  I even noticed it when he was with Minnesota and the Celtics were bad.  We were used to opposing teams getting prefential treatment.  But KG always stuck out as a guy that wouldn't get many calls for himself.  And since I've gotten the chance to see him full-time, that's even more apparent.  Especially on offense.  He is constantly getting pushed off his spot as he shoots in the post, and it's hardly ever called.  And he also gets a lot of cheap calls on the other end.

Regarding the KG statements.

This had long been one of Flip Saunders' only gripes.  For years, he pleaded with refs to pay better attention on KG's post jumpers.  Refs are trained to watch for contact near the release.... Flip constantly said that is why KG gets very few fouls called for him, because his release is so high and unblockable, that there is almost never contact on his hand/wrist... but there is constantly contact down low.  Defenders push, grab, and hit his body and below the waist, but it's rarely seen because, as Flip also said, KG was too good and it never seemed to disrupt his shot... yet was still a foul.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 02:44:24 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
You will get a lot of Cleveland fans saying that Lebron should get more calls than he does.  The guy does get hit on almost every drive to the basket, the refs just don't call a foul every time.  I am okay with that because the Cavs usually get that same benefit on the other end.  I could go without the complaining that he does, I think that may actually get calls taken away from him.

Anyone who thinks he 'always' gets the call, go find the poster dunk he put on the Jazz where he gets hammered across the nose.  No foul called. 

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm pretty sure that was LeBron's first buzzer beater to win a game in his career.  LeBron is the most dominant player in the league right now.  But if I've got a few seconds left in a game, and my team down one, I'll still take Kobe any day over LeBron.  I'd take Pierce as well.  If there's only time for a jump shot, I don't have as much confidence in his.

Eh maybe you're right about the buzzer beater thing, but I'm pretty sure I can think of a couple Bron game winners vs the Wizards in the playoffs and at least one against the pistons. 

Kobe sho does have a reputation as "clutch" tho...

I just don't know of any situation where he came through in the clutch...

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 03:12:45 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff

Eh maybe you're right about the buzzer beater thing, but I'm pretty sure I can think of a couple Bron game winners vs the Wizards in the playoffs and at least one against the pistons. 

Kobe sho does have a reputation as "clutch" tho...

I just don't know of any situation where he came through in the clutch...

LeBron has definitely made a lot of big-game shots down the stretch of games.  But that was the first literal "buzzer beater".  The Wizards games left some time on the clock, I believe.