Author Topic: Kevin McHale as a coach  (Read 9199 times)

Kevin McHale as a coach
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Did you see or hear about the Wolves game last night? 

Kevin McHale did something that players respond to, he got thrown out for arguing with officials.  His players gave him high fives and rallied around this to beat a decent team and win their 5th straight. I think Kevin should stay behind the bench.  He has a 26-22 career record, players can relate to him, and although this team might not make the playoffs, they seem a lot better with him as coach. Thoughts?

Re: Kevin McHale as a coach
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i hate to say it, but i've always questioned mchale's dedication to the game...i felt he had great ability as an individual, but never gave it everything like larry or robert did.

i'm not picking on him, but i'm surprised he wants to do this because i can't see him studying and devoting himself to this.  i hope it works out for him because he's a great guy, but i figured when his nba days were over that he'd never be found again.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
All i can see is with Kevin returning to the bench has been all positive for the Wolves...they are presently on a 5game winning streak,the longest winning streak since '95 for their organization.This seems like one firing,and shifting of positions thats taking a positive effect on a team so far.From the small pieces of games im able to see they look like a more inspired  team thats playing with more emotion than they were several weeks ago.GO Kev!

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
i hate to say it, but i've always questioned mchale's dedication to the game...i felt he had great ability as an individual, but never gave it everything like larry or robert did.

i'm not picking on him, but i'm surprised he wants to do this because i can't see him studying and devoting himself to this.  i hope it works out for him because he's a great guy, but i figured when his nba days were over that he'd never be found again.

i can't agree with that... playing on a broken foot etc... but if you have a guy with the kind of post moves he had, you KNOW he had some serious devotion to the game and put a lot of work on that.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The Wolves have won 5 in a row.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:09:38 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We might want to wait a few more weeks before evaluating his coaching. He seems to be vindicating his drafting to some degree, but he might have been horrible as a GM at selecting coaches. Or, this run could be an aberration.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 11:13:34 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The pick of Kevin Love is unforgivable.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i  don't think it's that mchale is'nt dedicated but i think kevin just has his head on so straight. he's such a good guy, such a family guy. i think he's always seen it as just a game. he's just always had his priorities straight. i don't think he's the best coach or gm by any means but [dang] if he is'nt one likable son of b. i'm loving their streak here. who here would'nt wanna high five kevin mchale?!

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:05:42 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Kevin Love is actually playing pretty [dang] good.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:07:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The pick of Kevin Love is unforgivable.

As I watch Mayo and Love playing more and more, I'm starting to think it was a smart trade for the Wolves.

I have no idea how people call McHale a bad GM. He indeed built not only a chronic play-offs team but a serious contender (and probably a championship winner if it wasn't for a bizarre succession of injuries) in a small-market team and after trading Garnett they're already in a very good position to be a force in a couple of years.

McHale doesn't like to coach, but it has nothing to do with devotion or studying (or, for that matter, with the family). I mean, McHale actually loves to coach, he just doesn't like to coach in the NBA and for very understandable reasons.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is a great coach and teacher. He just didn't want to travel alot. I don't blame him its not for everyone

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think McHale is the right coach at the right time for that ball club. The amount of respect and admiration that locker room holds him is clear for everyone to see.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
He is a great coach and teacher. He just didn't want to travel alot. I don't blame him its not for everyone

He doesn't like to travel because of his back problems.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
The t-Wolves are just starting to come together as a team under McHale. 5 wins in a row, and IMO they will make the playoffs next year. My favorite part of this is seeing the progression of Big Al, Telfair, and Gomes. Al is averaging 22 and 11, Telfair 11 and 7asts in the last 5 games, and Gomes has 16, 6rbs, 2asts in the last 5. Our guys are making names for themselves and Telfair is finally starting to settle down.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 06:34:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't think he has a potential contender right now in Minneapolis. I also think trading away Chalmers and Mayo this off-season were poor decisions.

However he does have them playing well right now.