Author Topic: Encouraging signs  (Read 2488 times)

Re: Encouraging signs
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 01:17:24 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Definitely encouraging.  Especially Kemba starting to find his grove. 

Now TRADE HIM!!!!!!

(sorry -- couldn't help it  :laugh:)

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 02:55:37 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Walker playing better helps the W/L record, as well as the trade value.  I think another week of good play might make his value well into the positives anyhow...

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Who is this Mr Encouraging? Did he sign for a two way or minimum? :)
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 11:34:00 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
The last two games were a lot of fun to watch, but even more so, they were encouraging. https://z1073.com/the-2021-maine-state-fair-schedule-is-here/?fbclid=IwAR0JVP4izMrBtVfsVXPRbAjPwQK_8SRMeAzPNO8Moc4KI4n2S0sLa5T_EeY

1.  Kemba has looked good, like an integral part of the offense.

2.  Our three main bigs are all contributing.

3.  Tatum didn’t settle late last night.  How cool is it to see him take it to the cup strong?

4.  Teague has shown signs of life.  It has been interesting to see so many veteran point guards struggle in their roles on new teams this year. Teague, Rondo, Wanamaker. All have been horribly inefficient. 

5.  Coaching. Brad has been pushing the right buttons and calling the right plays.  It’s interesting last night at the game winner was set out as a secondary option on the play Brad called. Apparently Washington shut down the first option, so the plan was to get the ball into Tatum in the post.

In general, it was just nice to see the team execute down the stretch.

Teague's reason/excuse is that he didn't have any top level basketball for a year due to Covid, since Atlanta wasn't invited to the bubble.

Boston was supposed to be the place he could revive his career, carve out a valuable bench role and help a team with championship aspirations. But his putrid early play mixed with the emergence of Payton Pritchard took away Teague’s role and minutes.

Instead of sulking, Teague said he went back to the gym to put in extra work. He said he knew rust was going to be a factor because he hadn’t played in a competitive game in more than 10 months when he joined the club. He was a member of the eight teams that were excluded from the NBA bubble — as was teammate Tristan Thompson who has also warmed up as the season progressed.

“It’s been a different experience than I’ve ever been a part of but it’s always a learning experience, take the good with the bad,” he said. “I knew it would be an adjustment period. I didn’t think it would be like this but you learn. I think those DNPs just made me want to go a little harder. So I just tried to get some extra reps in and I’m going to continue to keep doing that.”

Teague attributes his struggles to the inactivity. There’s only so much you can work on playing pickup or in drills while the rest of the league is in the bubble playing real games. It appeared during this stretch that Teague lost his confidence and he was passing up shots and just dribbling into the paint with no intention of shooting. That’s when he lost his playing time.

“The NBA is so much faster than playing pick up at home or one-on-one,” he said. “Honestly, I was just trying to be aggressive. That’s the only way I can play. I wasn’t aggressive in those first games and it got me DNPs so I said when I get a chance I’ll try to be aggressive, making something happen.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/27/sports/after-struggling-find-comfort-zone-celtics-jeff-teague-went-back-gym-some-extra-work-its-paying-off/

Let's hope he has indeed turned a corner. Because the Teague we've had the last couple of games will be a pretty useful player to have, especially given what he is costing. A good backup as well since Payton seems to have levelled off.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2021, 02:23:29 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think that with the Js being so young they aren't quite like vets right now and have a hard time playing without the big crowds to juice them up.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
On a side note---That Crazy Timelord Dunk from the PP pass, would easily WIN the Dunk Contest.

Brown turned down entering the ASG Dunk Contest---Timelord should enter and bring PP with him. haha
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.