Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43129 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
trade idea

To Celtics: Okafor
To 76ers: Yabusele, Nader, 2nd round pick  (2020)

Rotation

Baynes
AL
Tatum
Brown
Kyrie

Okafor
Morris
Semi
Smart
Rozier

Whoever gives up a 1st or multiple 2nds will win in the Okafor sweepstakes.  Just doubt there is much of a lineup at all
No way Okafor is in this rotation. With Morris back and Theis showing he has defensive chops, Okafor would be the 13th man on this team.

« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Philly has no leverage. I see a buyout coming. They don't need another second round pick either.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
trade idea

To Celtics: Okafor
To 76ers: Yabusele, Nader, 2nd round pick  (2020)

Rotation

Baynes
AL
Tatum
Brown
Kyrie

Okafor
Morris
Semi
Smart
Rozier

Whoever gives up a 1st or multiple 2nds will win in the Okafor sweepstakes.  Just doubt there is much of a lineup at all
No lineup, obviously, or a trade would have happened already.  Regarding your trade proposal, just WOW.  Wait a week and claim him off the wire, DON'T give up valuable assets!

« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2017, 12:53:52 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Philly has no leverage. I see a buyout coming. They don't need another second round pick either.
Agree completely. Even though one of the picks from below will be coming our way, it's still too many for Philly to ask for any more picks from other teams if they want to trade Okafor. The only reason they would ask for a 1st rounder is to trade it for another chip.

See below from Real GM of incoming picks to Philly:

2018 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
L.A. Lakers' 2018 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Phoenix) or to Boston (via Phoenix to Philadelphia) protected for selections 1 and 6-30; if this pick falls on any of its protected selections and is therefore retained by Philadelphia, then Boston will instead receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 (via Philadelphia) and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable or the protected of these two picks [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012; Milwaukee-Philadelphia-Phoenix, 2/19/2015; Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015; Boston-Philadelphia, 6/19/2017]; the 2019 pick conveyance is included in "2019 first round draft pick from Philadelphia or Sacramento" on Boston Incoming

2018 second round draft pick from Cleveland or Brooklyn (more favorable)
Philadelphia will receive the more favorable of Cleveland's 2018 2nd round pick and Brooklyn's 2018 2nd round pick and Charlotte will receive the less favorable of these two picks (via Philadelphia's right to swap Cleveland for Brooklyn) [Cleveland-Philadelphia, 9/26/2014; Brooklyn-Philadelphia, 12/11/2014; Brooklyn-Charlotte, 6/25/2015]

2018 second round draft pick from Houston
Houston's 2018 2nd round pick to Philadelphia [Houston-Philadelphia, 6/28/2017]

2018 second round draft pick from L.A. Clippers or New York (more favorable)
Philadelphia will receive the more favorable of the L.A. Clippers' 2018 2nd round pick and New York's 2018 2nd round pick and New York will receive the less favorable of these two picks (via Philadelphia's right to swap L.A. Clippers for New York) [L.A. Clippers-Philadelphia, 2/20/2014; New York-Philadelphia, 10/27/2014]

2019 first round draft pick from Sacramento
If Philadelphia conveys the L.A. Lakers' 2018 1st round pick to Boston, then Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick to Philadelphia; if Philadelphia does not convey the L.A. Lakers' 2018 1st round pick to Boston, then Boston will instead receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 (via Philadelphia) and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable or the protected of these two picks [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012; Milwaukee-Philadelphia-Phoenix, 2/19/2015; Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015; Boston-Philadelphia, 6/19/2017]; this pick conveyance is included in "2018 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers" on Boston Incoming

2019 second round draft pick from Milwaukee or Sacramento (more favorable)
Philadelphia will receive the more favorable of Milwaukee's 2019 2nd round pick and Sacramento's 2019 2nd round pick and Sacramento will receive the less favorable of these two picks (via Philadelphia's right to swap Milwaukee for Sacramento (via Brooklyn)) [Milwaukee-Sacramento, 7/12/2013; Brooklyn-Milwaukee, 6/30/2014; Brooklyn-Philadelphia, 10/24/2014]

2019 second round draft pick from New York
New York's 2019 2nd round pick to Philadelphia [New York-Philadelphia, 10/27/2014]

2020 second round draft pick from Brooklyn or New York (more favorable)
Philadelphia will receive the more favorable of Brooklyn's 2020 2nd round pick and New York's 2020 2nd round pick and Orlando will receive the less favorable of these two picks (via Philadelphia) [Brooklyn-Philadelphia, 12/11/2014; New York-Philadelphia, 6/26/2015; Orlando-Philadelphia, 6/22/2017]

2020 second round draft pick from Dallas
Dallas' 2020 2nd round pick to Philadelphia [Dallas-Philadelphia, 2/23/2017]

2021 second round draft pick from New York
New York's 2021 2nd round pick to Philadelphia [New York-Philadelphia, 6/26/2015]

« Reply #274 on: November 07, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
With Bledsoe to Milwaukee, I really want to see us make an effort to nab Okafor

Even if off the bench or as a fringe starter, he can give us an even "bigger" edge and help especially with scoring and post-play.

We thought Kyrie's defense was horrible, but it's actually looked decent.

Under CBS and playing under a playoff team, Okafor will be motivated to try more on defense and I'm sure if he can at least be average on that end, he can be a weapon for this team.

This guy averaged 17/7 in his ROOKIE season, but let's be real, PHI pretty much kicked him to the curb after that and focused more on Embiid, Saric, Noel.

He's 21, young, and to me has a lot of untapped potential which can be reached with good coaching/system. He would definitely also have a chip on his shoulder and guys like that have thrived here.

I wouldn't mind using DPE on him via trade w/2nd rounders + Nader, and then keep that additional roster spot (from trading Nader) for a VET MIN signing later this season (when guys get bought out).

PHI really doesn't have leverage and no team is giving up a first rounder or good role player for him either. They've killed his value at this point. Look at the Suns return for Bledsoe. Not horrible but not the best at all either (should have got more but couldn't).

And yes, I obviously love our size, but our depth is thin there too. If, god forbid, Baynes or Horford get injured and miss a lot of time, that could be detrimental to us at those positions for some time.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #275 on: November 07, 2017, 12:54:06 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I do

« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
...and here I thought I couldn't hate this team any more.

smh

Yeah, I also hate when my NBA team is on pace for 60 wins while battling through more adversity than any other team in the league. 

I also hate going on vacation, puppies, and winning Powerball.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

smh

Yeah, I also hate when my NBA team is on pace for 60 wins while battling through more adversity than any other team in the league. 

I just assumed he was talking about Philly.

Mike

« Reply #278 on: November 07, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

smh

I just assumed he was talking about Philly.

Mike

Oh I remembered him being super doom and gloom after the trade.  But he probably was talking about Philly since hating this Celtics team would be unfathomable.

I'd definitely take a flier on Okafor after a buy out and I'd trade a 2nd rounder for him if he'd sign a 2-3 year deal with us.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Philly dusted him off tonight and played him
3 fouls in 2 minutes lol

« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2017, 09:40:09 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
When people talked about "winning culture" I feel like the thing that is really lost with a losing culture is the development of guys like Jah and Nerlens.

Both those guys were really good prospects who have been treated like garbage in Philly and its done a ton of damage to their careers.

« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
3 fouls in 2 minutes lol

Probably the worst shift I've seen from an NBA big man for a while.

Absolutely deplorable.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #282 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
When people talked about "winning culture" I feel like the thing that is really lost with a losing culture is the development of guys like Jah and Nerlens.

Both those guys were really good prospects who have been treated like garbage in Philly and its done a ton of damage to their careers.

THIS.

Okafor and Noel aren't bad players at all, but PHI hampered their growth and sort of kicked them to the curb in favor of others.

That's what happens when you keep tanking and selecting Top-5 picks for so many years. Soon you get "sick" of a few or can't have more than 2 at a same position.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #283 on: November 07, 2017, 10:11:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
3 fouls in 2 minutes lol

Probably the worst shift I've seen from an NBA big man for a while.

Absolutely deplorable.

Also had his shot block and a turnover

« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

TP for this.

I said a couple of years ago that one of the major flaws in Hinkie's strategy was that the culture of losing has great ramifications to prospects. With no attempt to win games incoming young players learn - or get away with - bad habits and poor work ethics. After all, these poor habits actually help the team in achieving its goal, which is to lose games. The damage that this does on the psyche of some young players can be incalculable. 

Team culture matters. That is the reason why the Clippers were so bad for many years despite having some good players from time to time. That is why the Jail Blazers existed. That is why the Bengals have imploded for many years. When that kind of environment is created, it allows some players to indulge in their predisposed bad habits. In this particular case, I don't think it's any mystery why the two guys who had to suffer the longest in that culture of losing both wanted off that team. Philly sabotaged their own prospects by creating a poisonous environment.

We've seen time and time again where a bad seed somehow finds redemption on the right team. We've also seen players who despite great opportunities failed to overcome their bad habits (aka Sullinger's eating). I don't know if Okafor can be redeemed. I do believe that, properly motivated, he has a place in the NBA.

That being said, I wouldn't give up much of anything to get him. A 2nd round pick would be all. Bring him in under the injury exemption, let him learn from some veterans like Horford and see how he reacts. The worst thing that could happen is that we burn a 2nd rounder and that exemption. If Philly wants more then let them go find a team wiling to offer it.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.