Poll

Would you make the trade

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Poll: Kyrie, Brown OR Tatum, Lakers pick For Gianni's  (Read 2164 times)

Re: Poll: Kyrie, Brown OR Tatum, Lakers pick For Gianni's
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
While we are beating dead horses.  Does anybody want to bring up how we could have drafted Giannis instead of Kelly Olynyk?  LOL.

The interesting thing is that if we had a time machine and drafted Giannis, then we would not have Brown or Tatum on this team because the small forward position would be locked up.  Who would the Celtics have drafted instead of Brown at #3 or Tatum at #3. 

So many dominoes would have fallen a different way if Danny had drafted the Greek freak.  And reports are he actually flew out to Greece to see him.  In hindsight I don't understand why Danny decided on KO instead of GA.

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 10:46:47 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
While we are beating dead horses.  Does anybody want to bring up how we could have drafted Giannis instead of Kelly Olynyk?  LOL.

...........................  And reports are he actually flew out to Greece to see him.  In hindsight I don't understand why Danny decided on KO instead of GA.

My opinion is that Stevens wanted KO, because KO could shoot and pass and was the type of big that Stevens likes in his system. KO was also more NBA-ready. Stevens must've really wanted him because they moved up to get him.

Too bad DA listened to Stevens on this one. GA was Danny's prototypical pick type: athletic wing who couldn't shoot yet. This has Stevens written all over it.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

...........................  And reports are he actually flew out to Greece to see him.  In hindsight I don't understand why Danny decided on KO instead of GA.

My opinion is that Stevens wanted KO, because KO could shoot and pass and was the type of big that Stevens likes in his system. KO was also more NBA-ready. Stevens must've really wanted him because they moved up to get him.

Too bad DA listened to Stevens on this one. GA was Danny's prototypical pick type: athletic wing who couldn't shoot yet. This has Stevens written all over it.
Um, Stevens wasn't hired until July 4, 2013.  KO was drafted June 27, 2013.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

The interesting thing is that if we had a time machine and drafted Giannis, then we would not have Brown or Tatum on this team because the small forward position would be locked up.  Who would the Celtics have drafted instead of Brown at #3 or Tatum at #3. 

So many dominoes would have fallen a different way if Danny had drafted the Greek freak.  And reports are he actually flew out to Greece to see him.  In hindsight I don't understand why Danny decided on KO instead of GA.
My take is that we drafted for need instead of drafting the best player available (in terms of potential). I know it sounds absurd, but it's possible that we missed on Giannis because we already had Jeff Green and Gerald Wallace.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:32:28 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I am just gonna vote 'no' on all trades for the moment.  Love this team for after this season.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Um, Stevens wasn't hired until July 4, 2013.  KO was drafted June 27, 2013.

TP, and why let a little thing like facts get in the way of a good "story".

All kidding aside, though, I don't think that it's a huge stretch to think that Stevens' opinion about whom they should draft could have been solicited. If he signed one week after the draft, we know that they had to be in negotiations before the draft.

And what better way to woo someone and show them that they will have substantial input into draft decisions than by asking them whom they would draft and then doing it. That would be powerfully persuasive in courting a prized coach.

Just conjecture, I know, but not as far fetched might be thought at first blush.