Author Topic: A handful of Bruins fans are making Boston look racist and classless  (Read 25124 times)

Re: A handful of Bruins fans are making Boston look racist and classless
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Does anyone know exactly how many of these tweets or what not actually happened? Like what percentage? And how many were tweeted by I guess the Tampa Bay fans (that's who the Canadiens beat last week, right?)

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Wish the team didn't release a statement. This wouldnt of been a 'thing' if they didnt. If PK scored in overtime against any other team in the NHL you'd get the same handful of comments on twitter.

Our governor is black, Boston isn't a particularly racist city.

Are you from Boston or do you live in Boston?

I lived in Boston for a time. I wasn't born there. 

Have you lived in enough cities to identify Boston as one that "isn't particularly racist"?

I currently live in Boston. Dorchester, Mass specifically for most of my childhood and part of my adult life. I've also lived in Texas, New Jersey, and New Hampshire for short periods of time.

And yes, I would say that Boston is just about the same as those places. Probably have seen more racism in Texas and New Hampshire than I have in Boston.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Wish the team didn't release a statement. This wouldnt of been a 'thing' if they didnt. If PK scored in overtime against any other team in the NHL you'd get the same handful of comments on twitter.

lol tp.  that picture says it all
Greg

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Another reason added to why people outside of Boston hates Boston Sports teams. Besides our collective championship banners and titles and all.

Sighhhh.
exactly. racist statements would never appear in places such as LA.

Lol.... They happen everywhere. Don't tell me there would be NONE in LA. that's false

Actually I live in LA as a Celtics fan and there are so many people hyping up about Donald Sterling racial nonsense. I'm even more shocked that he's an alumni from my state university. But...what a disappointment. But anyways...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 06:30:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sell the Bruins to Sterling?  JK

Usually it is a few that ruin it for everybody or make all look bad.  I didn't even know Hockey was played this time of year.

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
honestly when I first heard this I was like "ohhh, here we go!" but then I got to thinking that if the world perceives us as racist over what a few morons say on twitter then it's on them for not realizing they don't represent the whole. 

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
I know this has nothing to do with American history, but I am white and my people have been slaved since about 1100yr. We got our independence at 1917. We had to fight for our independece twice after that. After 800 years of opressison we finally had our freedom, and we are white people.

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 07:02:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The story is a non-story, a piece of easily generated hack journalism.

Id be more convinced if they looked at all tweets during PK's goals, and looked at the volume of racist comments, and then also looked at all tweets during pivotal goals.

Otherwise, it's pretty meaningless, with nothing to compare it to.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 07:05:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Are you from Boston or do you live in Boston?

I lived in Boston for a time. I wasn't born there. 

Have you lived in enough cities to identify Boston as one that "isn't particularly racist"?

I currently live in Boston. Dorchester, Mass specifically for most of my childhood and part of my adult life. I've also lived in Texas, New Jersey, and New Hampshire for short periods of time.

And yes, I would say that Boston is just about the same as those places. Probably have seen more racism in Texas and New Hampshire than I have in Boston.

I lived near Andrew Square for a couple of years.  I definitely saw my share of Southie racism, worse than what I've seen other places. 

But, I've mostly lived in the Northeast and Northwest.  Also, what one might see in Southie is a lot different than different spots in and around the city.  I didn't see any racism at all when I lived in Lexington.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 07:07:46 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
I know this has nothing to do with American history, but I am white and my people have been slaved since about 1100yr. We got our independence at 1917. We had to fight for our independece twice after that. After 800 years of opressison we finally had our freedom, and we are white people.

And my ancestors were highly valuable because they had blonde hair and blue eyes, they were freaks to the slavemasters.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

And my ancestors were highly valuable because they had blonde hair and blue eyes, they were freaks to the slavemasters.

I'm curious, where did this happen?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 07:12:01 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum

I'm curious, where did this happen?

Modern Finland. Sweden and Russia have played as like a toy.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Does anyone know exactly how many of these tweets or what not actually happened? Like what percentage? And how many were tweeted by I guess the Tampa Bay fans (that's who the Canadiens beat last week, right?)

I read that there were 17,000 tweets referencing Subban and a slur, but that wasn't broken down by racist posts vs. people re-tweeting and condemning the racist posts.  (I wonder, if you retweet the n-word several times to condemn its use, is that counterproductive?)

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
this has been the case for a looooong time. gotta take the good wit the bad. wen fans rooted "lets go celtics!" for 4 minutes straight everybody was like "yaaaaa boston has REAL fans". but now that its sumthin bad its "nooooo this does not reflect what boston is, or respresents." gotta take the good and the bad unfortunately.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I read that there were 17,000 tweets referencing Subban and a slur, but that wasn't broken down by racist posts vs. people re-tweeting and condemning the racist posts.  (I wonder, if you retweet the n-word several times to condemn its use, is that counterproductive?)
Does anyone know how many Bruins tweets there were overall or how many people watched the game?