Author Topic: David Griffin taking over in NOP  (Read 13813 times)

Re: David Griffin taking over in NOP
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We’d be losing something invaluable if we trade Smart, which would almost certainly have to happen to match salaries. We may end up with a few more banners, which is the goal every choice DA makes has to move towards. But we could just as easily lose a true Celtic, a true warrior, a defensive savant bulldog, and an improving shooter/playmaker for a one year rental who bolts to the arch-rival Lakers and leaves us wounded, weakened, and asset depleted long-term.

And a guy way overvalued by the fan base evidentially.

Smart has value  but Davis has a lot more value.

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »

Offline wreckoner

• NCE
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 11
We’d be losing something invaluable if we trade Smart, which would almost certainly have to happen to match salaries. We may end up with a few more banners, which is the goal every choice DA makes has to move towards. But we could just as easily lose a true Celtic, a true warrior, a defensive savant bulldog, and an improving shooter/playmaker for a one year rental who bolts to the arch-rival Lakers and leaves us wounded, weakened, and asset depleted long-term.

And a guy way overvalued by the fan base evidentially.

Smart has value  but Davis has a lot more value.

Only a fool would disagree. I would note, however, that we’re not talking a one-for-one swap. We’re talking the value of the “role player” throw-in to an AD for Tatum plus picks trade.

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2019, 11:47:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Like I said I like Smart and think he is a "TRUE CELTIC"   

Are you seriously using cumulative career Win Shares in order to say who is better? Davis has played an extra 3 years in the league, obviously he'll have more Win Shares. Nene has more than Davis, but that doesn't mean he's the better player

Get a clue, here are their head to head player comparisons, I guess you just got more Bitter.  Nene has 73 win shares in 19 seasons, Smart 16 in five and Davis has 72 in seven.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Marcus+Smart&player_id1_select=Marcus+Smart&player_id1=smartma01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Anthony+Davis&player_id2_select=Anthony+Davis&player_id2=davisan02&idx=players

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2019, 12:11:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

We simply cannot forget Smart's impact on our team AND on the game. Danny had better have a plan if Smart is included in a trade package.

Homerism crap!  Davis will have a bigger impact, who are you trying to kid?    I have a bridge I will sell you if  you want JK. 

Winshares for Davis 72  Winshares for Smart 16.2

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisan02.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html

I think should he come here you would forget pretty quickly given that disparity.

Are you seriously using cumulative career Win Shares in order to say who is better? Davis has played an extra 3 years in the league, obviously he'll have more Win Shares. Nene has more than Davis, but that doesn't mean he's the better player

I don't think anyone here would argue that Smart is better than Davis, but pointing out that Davis has more career Win Shares is not a good way to prove it
You're not wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that Smart hovers between 1/3-1/2 the Win Shares per 48 minutes that Davis averages
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2019, 12:13:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Get a clue, here are their head to head player comparisons, I guess you just got more Bitter.  Nene has 73 win shares in 19 seasons, Smart 16 in five and Davis has 72 in seven.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Marcus+Smart&player_id1_select=Marcus+Smart&player_id1=smartma01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Anthony+Davis&player_id2_select=Anthony+Davis&player_id2=davisan02&idx=players
Let me help you here, my friend, as I agree that career WS isn't the best way to make your point.

Let's nominalize the win Shares number to WS/48 minutes for their career:

Smart 0.08 WS/48 minutes
Davis 0.214 WS/48 minutes

According to this stat Davis has over 2.5 times larger of an impact on winning in his career than Smart.

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, good hire.

Here’s the interesting twist. Several months back on NBATV when discussing what he would want in an AD trade, Griffin said that he would want abd shoot for:
1) 1 young player with star potential;
2) several draft picks; and
3) an elite role player or two to help during the rebuild.

https://twitter.com/sAbdi28/status/1116807777010118656?s=20

Hmm, sounds like a Celtics package would be right up Griffin’s alley!

So, Tatum, Smart and picks.

For a rental? No thanks. If you could do it with just 1 of Brown/Tatum + Williams + Picks, sure. Or one of Tatum/Brown + Rozier (S&T) + Picks. NOT 2 of Tatum/Brown/Smart in addition to everything else.

This is still where I'm currently at with the AD-saga. He's starting to rub me off in a bad way too with some of his recent shenanigans (the shirt he wore the final game combined with that BS excuse), and then there's the aspect of him preferring LA/NY over Boston. Oh and did I even mention the whole Rich Paul-Lebron James connection? 

If you can pull off a deal for him as I outlined (or basically, only needing 1 of Tatum/Brown in addition to picks and other players not named Smart/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford), then sure. If not, then pass. He'll go to NYK, Portland or LAC.

Also, will AD waive his trade kicker to come here? That'll tell us a lot. Pretty big difference between sending out 21M to acquire him (if he waives it), or 24M if he doesn't. That 3M might mean forking up another asset (or even a player) which is not ideal IMO.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2019, 12:22:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yeah, good hire.

Here’s the interesting twist. Several months back on NBATV when discussing what he would want in an AD trade, Griffin said that he would want abd shoot for:

For a rental? No thanks. If you could do it with just 1 of Brown/Tatum + Williams + Picks, sure. Or one of Tatum/Brown + Rozier (S&T) + Picks. NOT 2 of Tatum/Brown/Smart in addition to everything else.

This is still where I'm currently at with the AD-saga. He's starting to rub me off in a bad way too with some of his recent shenanigans (the shirt he wore the final game combined with that BS excuse), and then there's the aspect of him preferring LA/NY over Boston. Oh and did I even mention the whole Rich Paul-Lebron James connection? 

If you can pull off a deal for him as I outlined (or basically, only needing 1 of Tatum/Brown in addition to picks and other players not named Smart/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford), then sure. If not, then pass. He'll go to NYK, Portland or LAC.
Phantom, you sound an awful lot like a bunch of Al Jefferson fans did back in 2007. By June 2008, no one cared about Al Jefferson any more.

If a trade goes down involving Smart and Tatum for Davis, the Celtics jump to head of pack for favorites to win it next year. If they do indeed win it all next year, who will be caring about Marcus Smart?

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2019, 12:27:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Tell you what Celticsforever - we'll have the Indy series  - and most certainly - the MILWAUKEE series to see the IMPACT of Marcus Smart.

The way this team has PLAYED - been COACHED - all SEASON - will be a determining factor as to whether KYRIE IRVING even comes back - much less than how important 'WIN SHARES" are to a team comparing Smart and AD.

I believe we'll have enough ammo to beat Indy without Smart but we'll see how this team responds in less than 24 hours...........

The NEXT TWO SERIES will be so much about KYRIE - almost as much as Smart's impact.

Let's see this fan base on pins and needles with a 7 game series versus Indy OR a 6 game series LOSS to MIL.

Let's convince AD to STAY in BOS without Kyrie.

There is a WHOLE lot at stake, here.

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I believe we'll have enough ammo to beat Indy without Smart but we'll see how this team responds in less than 24 hours...........

Agreed, Time will tell.  But my argument was Davis was better than Smart, not that Smart is a valuable player for us who does many of the intangibles.

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2019, 12:39:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, good hire.

Phantom, you sound an awful lot like a bunch of Al Jefferson fans did back in 2007. By June 2008, no one cared about Al Jefferson any more.

If a trade goes down involving Smart and Tatum for Davis, the Celtics jump to head of pack for favorites to win it next year. If they do indeed win it all next year, who will be caring about Marcus Smart?

KG was fierce and acknowledged as a headcase at times. But did he pull off the kind of antics that Davis has pretty much this entire season? That's another factor to look at.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Agreed, Time will tell.  But my argument was Davis was better than Smart, not that Smart is a valuable player for us who does many of the intangibles.

Davis IS better than Smart.

But Davis is NOT tougher than Smart - nor has his grit or heart.

Smart ALSO is the RIGHT KIND of CLUTCH....and doesn't have KLUTCH Sports as his agency - in his ear all the time....

LOOK I just want BOS to win...having Kyrie Irving AND Anthony Davis here LONG TERM would go a LONG way towards winning. But we'd better be mindful of the risks involved.

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I simply don't want the DRAMA that would come with Anthony Davis and KLUTCH.

Is AD is OWN MAN?

Can he make decisions on HIS OWN?

BOS would present his BEST SHOT at WINNING....but at the FIRST SIGN of adversity would he come to a press conference in BOS wearing a LOONEY TOONS shirt??

CMON MAN be PROFESSIONAL...................................

I "LOVE" Anthony Davis....he would help this team tremendously. I simply do NOT want the DRAMA around him............................................................

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yeah, good hire.

KG was fierce and acknowledged as a headcase at times. But did he pull off the kind of antics that Davis has pretty much this entire season? That's another factor to look at.
Actually, originally, KG didn't want to come here and let that be known publicly. He was very much acting like quite the diva that summer.

I think he had his mind set on being traded to the Lakers because that deal got very close to being finished(It would have been KG for Odom and Bynum). The Celtics also had Wally Szczerbiak who KG detested and refused to ever be a team mates of his again.

Danny had to trade Wally to get KG and luckily was able to move Wally World in the Ray Allen deal which probably netted us Big Baby. Once Wally was gone and Ray and Paul here, then KG agreed to be extended then traded to Boston.

But for a few months there, yeah, KG caused some drama about not wanting to be here. In retrospect, it's all mostly forgotten history as KG is one of the most Celticky Celtics ever.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:05:42 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Yeah, good hire.

Actually, originally, KG didn't want to come here and let that be known publicly. He was very much acting like quite the diva that summer.

I think he had his mind set on being traded to the Lakers because that deal got very close to being finished(It would have been KG for Odom and Bynum). The Celtics also had Wally Szczerbiak who KG detested and refused to ever be a team mates of his again.

Danny had to trade Wally to get KG and luckily was able to move Wally World in the Ray Allen deal which probably netted us Big Baby. Once Wally was gone and Ray and Paul here, then KG agreed to be extended then traded to Boston.

But for a few months there, yeah, KG caused some drama about not wanting to be here. In retrospect, it's all mostly forgotten history as KG is one of the most Celticky Celtics ever.

Winning cures all, or at least in 2008. And Paul Pierce's presence changed KG.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:09:32 PM by nickagneta »

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Smart has been to Conference Final twice, how many did Davis have?

Thank you

James Jones has been to the NBA Finals seven straight times.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)