Author Topic: Potential playoff shakeoff, Embid injured?  (Read 2956 times)

Potential playoff shakeoff, Embid injured?
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Interesting nugget released yesterday about Embid apparently not being healthy. Has anyone heard more about this?

https://www.libertyballers.com/2019/4/11/18305259/the-sixers-need-more-offensive-balance-especially-if-joel-embiid-isnt-healthy

Last night before the last regular season game of the year, we got a rather alarming update. 76ers’ GM Elton Brand seemed to hesitate when discussing his team’s best player, Joel Embiid’s health and readiness for the playoffs. When pressed about the issue after the game, coach Brett Brown abruptly cut off the line of questions and suggested the team would give a “fair” update on Joel’s health. Although Brand said he’s optimistic Embiid will play and Brown made clear he expects to have his starters for Saturday’s game against Brooklyn, that this isn’t a given (after how much time the big man has had to rest his knee down the stretch of the season) is a major concern.

I like Embid and would like to see them matchup against east at full strength, but if he is limited, Toronto would have a pretty easy road to ECF...

Re: Potential playoff shakeoff, Embid injured?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:44:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Embiid's knee is messed up and sore from the season. They wanted to give it a good rest much like the C's did with Horford during the season.

I also think Embiid is going to play through it, he just might slow down as the playoffs go on.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
No idea about this specific ailment, but I will say this about Embiid: people are forgetting that this guy had major health issues earlier in his career, including in college. He's been healthy for the better part of the past couple years, but there's a reason that this guy didn't play until year 3 of his rookie contract. A forgotten element in the conversation about the Sixers' future. Don't just assume the player you've seen the past couple seasons is what you're going to get for the next 10+.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 03:04:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
It's not a serious injury, but it is one of those nagging injuries.

I expect Embiid to play every game, but the question will be, will he play on a minutes restriction or not? If Embiid is able to play 36+ minutes regularly, then it's a sign he's 100% fine. If not though, then he's probably not 100% and that's a huge advantage to the team facing the Sixers.

We've often seen Embiid have monster games against teams (including us in the playoffs last year), but usually by the 4th quarter he's evidently fatigued and sluggish out there. The Sixers really rely on him and the ball goes through him often (understandably). Adding Butler, Harris and Boban will help but I reckon they'll have to step up if Embiid is truly on a minutes restriction of sorts (just 30-32 minutes/game).

Their depth is fairly thin as is.

I posted in the Playoff Prediction thread, but I predicted PHI in 6 with the assumption that Embiid is not 100%, but if he is, it'll be a series won by PHI in 5 games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I expect Embiid to play every game, but the question will be, will he play on a minutes restriction or not? If Embiid is able to play 36+ minutes regularly, then it's a sign he's 100% fine. If not though, then he's probably not 100% and that's a huge advantage to the team facing the Sixers.

We've often seen Embiid have monster games against teams (including us in the playoffs last year), but usually by the 4th quarter he's evidently fatigued and sluggish out there. The Sixers really rely on him and the ball goes through him often (understandably). Adding Butler, Harris and Boban will help but I reckon they'll have to step up if Embiid is truly on a minutes restriction of sorts (just 30-32 minutes/game).

I posted in the Playoff Prediction thread, but I predicted PHI in 6 with the assumption that Embiid is not 100%, but if he is, it'll be a series won by PHI in 5 games.

I would be pretty surprised if Boban is in the rotation at all. The only team he would not be run off the floor would be against the Pistons and they are not playing them.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 03:14:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

I would be pretty surprised if Boban is in the rotation at all. The only team he would not be run off the floor would be against the Pistons and they are not playing them.

He kind of has to be lol. He's like their first or second guy off their bench. Unless you're talking about starting lineups...?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
so some more smoke from the ringer on this:

"Brand said he was “optimistic” that Embiid would be ready for the playoffs. He also said it was “possible” that Embiid could not be ready for the first game against the Nets, who secured the 6-seed with a win over the Heat on Wednesday). Brett Brown also added that the team will release a longer statement on Embiid’s status.

Um, this is a problem? Embiid’s injury was never thought to be serious, though there’s a case to be made that any Embiid injury should be taken seriously given his history. But should this linger into the first round (maybe even later?), the Sixers could have their hands full with the Nets, whom they split the season series with, 2-2. Their first-round matchup could be the most entertaining in the East, pitting a team with a backcourt advantage against a team that struggles to defend guards; a team with a dominating center against a team that lacks in that area. That is, if Embiid is healthy."

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 03:52:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
That would be unfortunate.  He's fun to watch when healthy.

Would be a big blow to Philly given their lack of depth. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
From the sound of it, he's banged up but will probably play unless they try to see if they can get away with him resting part or all of the first round.

I think it's fair to wonder if Embiid might not be a guy who can realistically make it to the 2nd round or beyond in the playoffs without being significantly hobbled / worn down. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Can no one else see the Nets splitting with the Sixers the first two games in Philly? Then tension starts building, Brown makes a couple bad coaching decisions, Simmons scores 6 points, Butler shoots way too much, and Harris can't make a three to save his life.

Tell me you don't like the Nets and Atkinson, fully healthy, playing the next 3 out of 5 games in Brooklyn? Obviously they have less talent, but so did the Celtics last year against the Sixers and Bucks.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
so some more smoke from the ringer on this:

"Brand said he was “optimistic” that Embiid would be ready for the playoffs. He also said it was “possible” that Embiid could not be ready for the first game against the Nets, who secured the 6-seed with a win over the Heat on Wednesday). Brett Brown also added that the team will release a longer statement on Embiid’s status.

Um, this is a problem? Embiid’s injury was never thought to be serious, though there’s a case to be made that any Embiid injury should be taken seriously given his history. But should this linger into the first round (maybe even later?), the Sixers could have their hands full with the Nets, whom they split the season series with, 2-2. Their first-round matchup could be the most entertaining in the East, pitting a team with a backcourt advantage against a team that struggles to defend guards; a team with a dominating center against a team that lacks in that area. That is, if Embiid is healthy."
Their 1st 3 matchups occurred before Christmas so I don't think they have much relevance.  Butler only played in 1 of those games and Harris of course didn't play in any of them.  The 4th game occurred recently and the Sixers led it throughout and won by 13.  The Sixers have had issues defending guards but I don't think the Nets guards are good enough to take advantage of it. 

They say he has knee tendonitis so I wouldn't expect that to just go away.  I would expect him to play through it which ought to be easier given the relaxed playoff schedule.  I wouldn't be surprised if they get up 3-0 on the Nets that they rest him the 4th game.   

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 04:21:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Can no one else see the Nets splitting with the Sixers the first two games in Philly? Then tension starts building, Brown makes a couple bad coaching decisions, Simmons scores 6 points, Butler shoots way too much, and Harris can't make a three to save his life.

Tell me you don't like the Nets and Atkinson, fully healthy, playing the next 3 out of 5 games in Brooklyn? Obviously they have less talent, but so did the Celtics last year against the Sixers and Bucks.

If The Nets get hot and hit a crazy rate on three pointers it could be a scary series for the 76ers.... I don't know if they can get streaky hot for four games...

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

If The Nets get hot and hit a crazy rate on three pointers it could be a scary series for the 76ers.... I don't know if they can get streaky hot for four games...

I am wondering about this too.

The other question I'm having is whether Orlando can bother Toronto. I did not watch any of the games, but Orlando did manage an even split with the Raps during the regular season.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Doesn't matter to Boston. Toronto is going to eat them alive with or without Embiid.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 06:04:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I really wanted to play them and beat them again.