Poll

Where do you rank D-Wade among the top SG's of all time?

best SG of all time
1 (2.3%)
top 2
0 (0%)
top 3
1 (2.3%)
top 4
6 (13.6%)
top 5
12 (27.3%)
top 6
2 (4.5%)
top 7
1 (2.3%)
top 8
1 (2.3%)
top 9
0 (0%)
top 10
8 (18.2%)
outside of the top 10
12 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Poll: Where do you rank D-Wade among the top SG's of all time?  (Read 4080 times)

Re: Poll: Where do you rank D-Wade among the top SG's of all time?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 08:38:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Wade has a chance to be top 3, it really just goes to show there haven't been a ton of top tier SGs all-time. MJ and even Kobe completely blow Wade out of the water. There is a huge gap after those two to the Allen, AI, Drexler, Wade, West, Miller tier.

In the other thread comparing Wade to Dirk, the majority of people have Dirk ahead of Wade, but a couple people have explained that since Wade is top 3 and Dirk is [at best] top 5 at their respective positions, it means that Wade is better. I just don't believe in that reasoning.
I wonder if they'd extend the kind of reasoning you highlighted in the end of your post and say that by extension, Wade is superior to Hakeem. I don't think they would
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 08:55:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wade has had a better career than Harden, but I'd take Harden of the last couple of seasons over any Wade season and wouldn't give it a second thought.  And since I expect Harden to end up with numbers in the same general range if not better, I'd easily have Harden ahead of Wade.  West to me was a clearly better player.  So at best I'd put Wade at 5.  I haven't gone deep enough to really and truly compare Wade to Iverson, Drexler, Allen, Maravich, etc.  And yeah, I think Maravich is often overlooked.  I mean can you imagine what his scoring numbers would have been with a 3 point line.  He probably scores around 40 a game at his peak (though walking away at 32 doesn't help his career numbers). 

This of course assumes you call Oscar Robertson a PG and not a SG.  There has been many a discussion on what position the Big O played as he often was on the court with a more traditional PG (and a smaller player) and he rarely guarded the opposing PG, especially the last half of his career. 

So I'd say 5-10.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 09:07:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
 ;D Number 1   easy ...

dirty thug guard of all time ...hands down .

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 09:15:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wade has had a better career than Harden, but I'd take Harden of the last couple of seasons over any Wade season and wouldn't give it a second thought.  And since I expect Harden to end up with numbers in the same general range if not better, I'd easily have Harden ahead of Wade.  West to me was a clearly better player.  So at best I'd put Wade at 5.  I haven't gone deep enough to really and truly compare Wade to Iverson, Drexler, Allen, Maravich, etc.  And yeah, I think Maravich is often overlooked.  I mean can you imagine what his scoring numbers would have been with a 3 point line.  He probably scores around 40 a game at his peak (though walking away at 32 doesn't help his career numbers). 

This of course assumes you call Oscar Robertson a PG and not a SG.  There has been many a discussion on what position the Big O played as he often was on the court with a more traditional PG (and a smaller player) and he rarely guarded the opposing PG, especially the last half of his career. 

So I'd say 5-10.
I agree with pretty much all of this after a bit of thought. Harden isn't even 30 yet and has already put up 3 consecutive seasons comparable if not better than DWade's absolute peak.

Maravich is another interesting guy to bring up. Without doubt the most otherworldly college scorer ever. Averaged 44PPG over 4 years. He then had some really good NBA seasons, but I don't think he ever peaked. Add a 3 point line and you have a whole new beast with him. Sadly his story is one of things being cut short, but I agree that he is definitely overlooked
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 09:28:45 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think top 5 for sure. MJ and Kobe are clearly ahead of him, and then I believe West, AI and Clyde are on the same level as Wade, all depending on personal preference.

Gervin & Ray Allen are just a drop below.

I debated the same thing, but put them and Reggie above as they have both set NBA records, something wade never did.

Wade played D.  Not sure the same could necessarily be said for Ray and certainly not Reggie.

Now I recall reggie being an adequate defender.

I mean he was the guy who had to guard the opposing players best sg/sf game after game. Those pacer teams had bad wing defense, but Reggie held his own.

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I rank him fourth after West, as I'm not a fan of Harden's game. BTW, I would rank Sydney Moncrief 6th. He was a beast, although he was great only for about 5 years.

Re: Poll: Where do you rank Wade among the top SG's of all time?
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Wade is behind only MJ and Kobe. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
ahead of jerry west? we will have to agree to disagree.

i place wade somewhere in the top 5 to 10 range for sg. jordan, kobe, west, maravich (better, but a shorter career), then whichever flavor you like for ranking the next group. harden is making a strong case lately.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:45:13 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Top 5.

In a vacuum, I might have him and West above Kobe; Kobe had a lot of counting stats but also had just about the best situation for a SG for his whole career. Other SGs did more with less.

This random list I found isn't half bad overall:

https://www.nba.com/magic/ranking-70-best-shooting-guards-history-11-20180131

The link starts with 11-20 on one page, then goes 1 by 1 counting down the top 10. I forgot how good Gervin was, if you consider him a SG. Harden may rise up depending on his 2nd half of career.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 10:30:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
TMac was a SG a while if he is considered he was much better than Wade.

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 12:16:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
So this thread has gone exactly how I knew it would. A bunch of bitter, petty Celtics fans not giving Wade his due respect.

Wade in his prime was easily better than any SG not named Jordan. Kobe gets the edge for longevity and health, but outside of him no other SG named in this thread has any business being placed above Wade.

I do think it's possible when all is said and done that Harden may end up passing Wade, though. But he isn't there yet.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 09:40:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
So this thread has gone exactly how I knew it would. A bunch of bitter, petty Celtics fans not giving Wade his due respect.

Wade in his prime was easily better than any SG not named Jordan. Kobe gets the edge for longevity and health, but outside of him no other SG named in this thread has any business being placed above Wade.

I do think it's possible when all is said and done that Harden may end up passing Wade, though. But he isn't there yet.
Jerry West has more career points than Dwyane Wade despite playing in an era without the 3 point shot.  West finished 2nd in MVP voting 4 times, 3rd once, and 5th 3 separate times (he also had a 6th and 12th).  So that is 8 seasons where he was a top 5 player in the sport (Wade has 2 top 5 finishes).  Jerry West was so good on a losing team in the Finals that he was named the Finals MVP.  The All Defensive Teams weren't created until the 68-69 season, despite being 30 and 9 years into his career, West made an All Defensive Team for the next 5 seasons (including 4 1st Teams).  It would have been expected that West would have made those teams during his best years pre-dating the creation of the team.  West also had 10 1st Team All NBA and 2 2nd Teams (they didn't have a 3rd team back then).  All of those All League Teams far exceed what Wade did (yes even defense, despite it not being around). 

It seems to me that you are the one that doesn't have the appropriate appreciation of the sport or its history because the simple truth is Jerry West was a better player and had a better career than Wade.  It really isn't a question.  West was just flat out better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 11:18:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

So I'd say 5-10.
I agree with pretty much all of this after a bit of thought. Harden isn't even 30 yet and has already put up 3 consecutive seasons comparable if not better than DWade's absolute peak.

Maravich is another interesting guy to bring up. Without doubt the most otherworldly college scorer ever. Averaged 44PPG over 4 years. He then had some really good NBA seasons, but I don't think he ever peaked. Add a 3 point line and you have a whole new beast with him. Sadly his story is one of things being cut short, but I agree that he is definitely overlooked
Maravich in today's game would be an absolute stud. The way the game is now with all the kick out passes and moving the ball around the perimeter - he was better suited to today's NBA than the era in which he played. 

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 11:42:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Jerry West has more career points than Dwyane Wade despite playing in an era without the 3 point shot.  West finished 2nd in MVP voting 4 times, 3rd once, and 5th 3 separate times (he also had a 6th and 12th).  So that is 8 seasons where he was a top 5 player in the sport (Wade has 2 top 5 finishes).  Jerry West was so good on a losing team in the Finals that he was named the Finals MVP.  The All Defensive Teams weren't created until the 68-69 season, despite being 30 and 9 years into his career, West made an All Defensive Team for the next 5 seasons (including 4 1st Teams).  It would have been expected that West would have made those teams during his best years pre-dating the creation of the team.  West also had 10 1st Team All NBA and 2 2nd Teams (they didn't have a 3rd team back then).  All of those All League Teams far exceed what Wade did (yes even defense, despite it not being around). 

It seems to me that you are the one that doesn't have the appropriate appreciation of the sport or its history because the simple truth is Jerry West was a better player and had a better career than Wade.  It really isn't a question.  West was just flat out better.

Strong post Moranis. I agree

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 01:24:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I used to rank Hondo above him but I never realized Hondo played so much SF.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 03:04:41 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

What makes anyone here bitter or petty, the fact that they aren’t completely overvaluing a guy who benefitted from superior teammates for his noteworthy success?

Never won an MVP. I guess a Finals MVP, scoring title, and two 1st-team All-NBA nods makes you the second-best SG of all-time?

Okayyy. I’d rather be bitter and petty than delusional.

I’m his era alone, at best I’d put him 3rd behind Kobe and Harden (he’s been far more spectacular already, and clearly better in pretty much every facet offensively). He’s already got 4 seasons of higher WS than Wade’s best season. His prime is unquestionably better. Don’t go off longevity for Wade vs Harden but dismiss it for Wade vs Kobe.
CELTICS 2024