Poll

If you had to pick one, who would it be?

Dirk Nowitzki
36 (92.3%)
Dwyane Wade
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Dirk or DWade?  (Read 2624 times)

Re: Dirk or DWade?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I can see an argument for either, but considering Wade currently is the 3rd best SG all-time whereas Dirk isn't even top 5 among PF's, I'm going to give the edge to Wade. But it's really close. Dirk had a longer career, and put up elite numbers later into his career. Wade was better in his prime, though, and had more overall impact on both ends of the court.

The one thing I don't expect is for Wade to get the proper recognition he deserves on this board. Most Celtics fans seem to be petty, biased, and incapable of objective analysis when it comes to players that had a rivalry with the Celtics.

You don’t need objective analysis to say Wade is dirty. That one’s a FACT.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 03:27:17 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
During the actual televised 1998 draft, I thought I remember hearing rumors of the Celtics interest in Dirk. It was basically if the Bucks didn’t pick Dirk or Pierce at #9, then the Celtics were taking whoever was left between the two with the 10th pick. In my mind Dirk was close to being a Celtic, so this makes my decision easier, and I’ll take Dirk.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
During the actual televised 1998 draft, I thought I remember hearing rumors of the Celtics interest in Dirk. It was basically if the Bucks didn’t pick Dirk or Pierce at #9, then the Celtics were taking whoever was left between the two with the 10th pick. In my mind Dirk was close to being a Celtic, so this makes my decision easier, and I’ll take Dirk.

I’m pretty sure Dirk was their guy all along. Nobody really expected Pierce to drop that far. And I believe C’s have said had BOTH still been on the board at 10 somehow, they would have went with Dirk.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I’m pretty sure Dirk was their guy all along. Nobody really expected Pierce to drop that far. And I believe C’s have said had BOTH still been on the board at 10 somehow, they would have went with Dirk.
This is correct. Pierce was at #2 in almost all mock drafts. The Celtics were all over Dirk being one of the few teams willing to take a look at Euros at the time.

There were rumors Boston was trying to move up in the draft to get Dirk but couldn't close a deal because the only team willing to deal and drop that far in the 3-6 area was Dallas and Dallas wanted Dirk and knew Boston did too.

What a haul for Dallas that draft. They traded down and got Dirk and Pat Garrity from Milwaukee for Tractor Traylor then moved Garrity to the Suns for Steve Nash.

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
if i was in  prison pulling time , yeah i guess Wade is my hero
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 05:16:42 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I can see an argument for either, but considering Wade currently is the 3rd best SG all-time whereas Dirk isn't even top 5 among PF's, I'm going to give the edge to Wade. But it's really close. Dirk had a longer career, and put up elite numbers later into his career. Wade was better in his prime, though, and had more overall impact on both ends of the court.

The one thing I don't expect is for Wade to get the proper recognition he deserves on this board. Most Celtics fans seem to be petty, biased, and incapable of objective analysis when it comes to players that had a rivalry with the Celtics.
I have a hard time seeing Wade as the 3rd best SG of All-Time. I think there's a lot of recency bias there. Players I would have in front of Wade on that list:

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Jerry West
Clyde Drexler
George Gervin

I would have Wade tops amongst these guys below that top 5:

Dwyane Wade
Ray Allen
Reggie Miller
Allen Iverson
Sam Jones
Earl Monroe
Pete Maravich
James Harden(who might end up top 5 before all is said and done)

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

This is correct. Pierce was at #2 in almost all mock drafts. The Celtics were all over Dirk being one of the few teams willing to take a look at Euros at the time.

There were rumors Boston was trying to move up in the draft to get Dirk but couldn't close a deal because the only team willing to deal and drop that far in the 3-6 area was Dallas and Dallas wanted Dirk and knew Boston did too.

What a haul for Dallas that draft. They traded down and got Dirk and Pat Garrity from Milwaukee for Tractor Traylor then moved Garrity to the Suns for Steve Nash.

And gave up so easily on Steve Nash.

Well, looks like they could make up for lost time with Doncic and KP.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 05:28:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Dirk.  surprised this isn't a clean sweep for him.  closest player to Bird since Bird.   put a team on his back as clearly the best player with only mediocre help and beat a loaded Heat team for a title.  got to the finals twice carrying his team in fact.  Wade, not so much.  needed a lot of help from Shaq and Bron to get there.  also, I don't have a high regard for shooting guards that aren't good shooters.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Dirk.  surprised this isn't a clean sweep for him.  closest player to Bird since Bird.   put a team on his back as clearly the best player with only mediocre help and beat a loaded Heat team for a title.  got to the finals twice carrying his team in fact.  Wade, not so much.  needed a lot of help from Shaq and Bron to get there.  also, I don't have a high regard for shooting guards that aren't good shooters.

I would pick Dirk but let's not downplay Wade's amazing playoff run in 2005.  Shaq was nowhere close to his peak at this point, posting the worst playoff numbers of his career in the Finals against Dallas.  Wade had one of the greatest NBA Finals in the history of the NBA.

I wont disagree with you about the titles with LeBron.  They don't really move the needle when it comes to Wade's all time ranking.

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 06:54:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Dirk. One of the toughest players to defend.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 06:07:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I picked Dirk because I like him better, but I think Wade was a more complete player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 06:57:09 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I picked Dirk because I like him better, but I think Wade was a more complete player.

This is why it can be difficult to debate players who played completely different positions.  Wade is easily the more complete player.  At the same time I would argue that Dirk's unique offensive game was easier to build around.