Poll

If you had to pick one, who would it be?

Dirk Nowitzki
36 (92.3%)
Dwyane Wade
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Dirk or DWade?  (Read 2625 times)

Dirk or DWade?
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:20:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Naturally, following the final home game for both these legends, I thought it would be fun to see who people would prefer.

Both guys are generally considered top 5-6 at their position. Both champions. Both future 1st ballot Hall of Famers.

I feel like considering our rivalry with Wade (and the dirty plays we've witnessed) the poll will skew towards Dirk, but I still couldn't help myself.

I'm going with Dirk, because he did more with less, stuck with one franchise for 21 seasons, is a much nicer guy on the court and off, and I have German heritage so I'm a bit biased. Plus, his post fade-away is way cooler.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Dirk or DWade?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:23:56 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Easily Dirk. I have no respect whatsoever for that other dirty loser.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Dirk without a doubt. Regardless of how Wade has been the last few years his dirty antics will always be in the back of my head any time his legacy is brought up. I mean the dude mocked Dirk for being sick in the Finals...

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 01:27:05 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Dirk 1000%
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:59:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Dirk without a doubt. Regardless of how Wade has been the last few years his dirty antics will always be in the back of my head any time his legacy is brought up. I mean the dude mocked Dirk for being sick in the Finals...
Dang, forgot him and LeBron did that, lol. Talk about karma

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 02:35:48 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Dirk. Seeing the garden crowd embrace Dirk was one of the coolest moments I've seen this season. On the contrary, seeing DWade get similar love was the most embarrassed I've been to be a Celtics fan since the crowd was chanting MVP at Kobe in 07. DWade is one of the dirtiest players to ever play, and a lot of his antics came at our expense.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 02:38:13 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Only Kobe’s career benefited more from playing with HOF players than DWade, two of the most overhyped and overrated players in NBA history.

Dirk was the unequivocal “man” on multiple Finals teams and won a championship, not even close.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 02:45:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Only Kobe’s career benefited more from playing with HOF players than DWade, two of the most overhyped and overrated players in NBA history.

Dirk was the unequivocal “man” on multiple Finals teams and won a championship, not even close.
I agree, to an extent. I also like that Wade's original nickname was Flash. Flash & style over substance ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 02:47:14 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I love Dirk. Because he and that 2011 Mavericks squad beat that dirty clown Wade, that queen bum LeBron, and Kobe Bryant all in that same year!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 06:22:54 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I can see an argument for either, but considering Wade currently is the 3rd best SG all-time whereas Dirk isn't even top 5 among PF's, I'm going to give the edge to Wade. But it's really close. Dirk had a longer career, and put up elite numbers later into his career. Wade was better in his prime, though, and had more overall impact on both ends of the court.

The one thing I don't expect is for Wade to get the proper recognition he deserves on this board. Most Celtics fans seem to be petty, biased, and incapable of objective analysis when it comes to players that had a rivalry with the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 07:17:45 AM »

Offline maklin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
easy... Big Mummy. It's his "fault", every big in the league is Shooting 3s now. :D
Whats Wade's influence? Where's his stamp on the game of basketball?

ach scheiß drauf... DIIIIIRK... ich will ein Kind von dir! :D
Disappointment is anger for wimps.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Tough one for me.

I loved watching D-Wade. He was lightening fast and a true team player who always looked to make the right play and create chances for his teammates.

I also loved watching Dirk. His shot making was incredible. That midpost game of his was a delight to watch. He also has a big advantage in longevity.

Wade was full on adrenaline filled excitement. Dirk was more the artist. Breathtaking in the beauty he could create.

Due to longevity, I have to give it to Dirk. Better overall career.

But at their peak? I don't know about that. I'd probably go with Wade. Better two way player. And that passing, what a playmaker.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 07:52:19 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Dirk seems like the clear-cut winner to me, but I am probably biased. I don't see how Wade is top 3 at his position all-time either. Honestly, I don't think he is any better than Harden or Westbrook; he was just able to play with two of the best basketball players of all-time at the right time. I mean, he was very good and I will give him his due, but let's not pretend that he was leading team after team to championships. Kyrie and Love also went to 4 straight championships with Lebron. Do people view Kyrie like they view Wade?

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 07:55:13 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Tough one for me.

I loved watching D-Wade. He was lightening fast and a true team player who always looked to make the right play and create chances for his teammates.

I also loved watching Dirk. His shot making was incredible. That midpost game of his was a delight to watch. He also has a big advantage in longevity.

Wade was full on adrenaline filled excitement. Dirk was more the artist. Breathtaking in the beauty he could create.

Due to longevity, I have to give it to Dirk. Better overall career.

But at their peak? I don't know about that. I'd probably go with Wade.

It's a tight race for sure but I lean towards Dirk.  Both players hold claim to one of the greatest Finals performances in NBA history.  That said, Wade was extremely fortunate to play in the Eastern Conference with some excellent teammates.

Dirk had his fair share of playoff failures, the worst of which was the loss to the 8th seed Warriors in 2007.  Despite this I have a hard time penalizing him when I look back at some of those teams.  I don't believe Wade could have had similar success with an equivalent supporting cast.

Dirk was good for 50+ wins as long as he had a competent group around him.