Author Topic: Privileged by Kyle Korver (Merged)  (Read 10343 times)

Re: Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Korver with some very insightful thoughts on privilege.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kyle-korver-utah-jazz-nba
what a load of propaganda and fake news he wrote

What privilege? Hes a minority in the NBA. Jeremy lin insinuated he was discriminated against during the draft process because he wasn't black. White privilege is a myth

I doubt that THIS man believes Korver's piece as propaganda or fake news.

Thanks for taking a knee, Bill.

I think Cousy said something very similar to what Korver is saying here not to long ago.

I believe he did - something to the effect of "wishing he had a better understanding of what Bill's perspective on things were" - or something to that effect.

Perhaps the most important "enabler" in Bill Russell's life was no other than THIS man:

I am certain that Red knew exactly what Bill was going through - even though he himself did not have to experience it. But he did NOT get in Bill's way.

Red and Bill had a special friendship.

ANYONE can be a hero - or heroine.

Re: Privileged by Kyle Korver (Merged)
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Another poor man who has been hypnotized into a feeling of societal obligation and personal introspection. 😥

Brainwashed into conscientiousness!    8)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I read the article, and I feel a little sad for Korver. So much guilt, so much trying to fit in and to appease others, for no reason other than his skin. This is the nonsense so many people are buying into.

Yes, empathy is such nonsense. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 05:10:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I read the article, and I feel a little sad for Korver. So much guilt, so much trying to fit in and to appease others, for no reason other than his skin. This is the nonsense so many people are buying into.

Feeling empathy is one thing.  "White guilt", blaming himself when teammates don't embrace him due to his race, and claiming responsibility for the sins of the past based solely on skin color are another.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

timely article by Korver. Should go in the reparations thread we have going here.

Some people actually get it.

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 05:31:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

timely article by Korver. Should go in the reparations thread we have going here.

Some people actually get it.

You know - reading some of the responses in that thread got depressing.

NO ONE>>>>>>>NO ONE>>>>>> knows ANYTHING about Reparations being discussed in that thread but yet nearly EVERYONE in that thread called it ridiculous without even CONSIDERING what the possibilities were.

I guess some folks thought people like ME were getting a check in the mail for 2 million dollars.

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 05:44:44 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Feeling empathy is one thing.  "White guilt", blaming himself when teammates don't embrace him due to his race, and claiming responsibility for the sins of the past based solely on skin color are another.

Did you read the article?

Korver addressed guilt and responsibility this way:

______

"Two concepts that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately are guilt and responsibility.

When it comes to racism in America, I think that guilt and responsibility tend to be seen as more or less the same thing. But I’m beginning to understand how there’s a real difference.

As white people, are we guilty of the sins of our forefathers? No, I don’t think so.

But are we responsible for them? Yes, I believe we are."

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

______

"Two concepts that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately are guilt and responsibility.

When it comes to racism in America, I think that guilt and responsibility tend to be seen as more or less the same thing. But I’m beginning to understand how there’s a real difference.

As white people, are we guilty of the sins of our forefathers? No, I don’t think so.

I did.  And the way he uses them, there's really no differentiation, particularly in the context of the article.  He clearly is expressing all kinds of guilt.

And, I don't accept that I, or anybody else, bears any responsibility for anything that happened hundreds of years ago.  I never owned a slave.  My family never owned a slave.  I've never discriminated against an African American.  Thus, I bear zero responsibility.

I'm glad that the multi-millionaire Kyle Korver recognizes his privilege.  That privilege is because he has one very elite skill that our society values for whatever reason, not because he's white.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 06:10:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

______

Are we responsible for them? No, not at all. Saying otherwise is a complete crock.

I wonder if he thinks that a feeling of responsibility for good deeds committed by ones ancestors is warranted
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 06:11:37 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I feel like a lot of people get the concept of "white privilege" twisted, and end up getting triggered as a result.  I am talking about the people who feel that to acknowledge white privilege exists is equivalent to saying no white person had it rough or no white person had to work hard to get what they have in life.  I personally think it is hard not to recognize that being born in the majority comes with advantages, just as being born in the country period comes with advantages.  But just because you have an advantage, that does not mean you did or didn't work hard to make the most of those advantages.  Think of a player like Steph Curry.  He was raised by one of the best shooters of all time, and when it comes to trying to make a career as a basketball player, that is a huge advantage.  But Steph still had to work hard to make his own name and become the player he is today.  I think so much of this is about, at the very least, acknowledging these advantages exist.  Instead, there are many that would claim the issue of racism is settled in this country, which in turn leaves many minorities feeling like they are being gas-lit.  If we can acknowledge the issue exists, then that is the first step for brainstorming reasonable strategies for dealing with the issue.

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 06:19:31 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

______

I did.  And the way he uses them, there's really no differentiation, particularly in the context of the article.  He clearly is expressing all kinds of guilt.

And, I don't accept that I, or anybody else, bears any responsibility for anything that happened hundreds of years ago.  I never owned a slave.  My family never owned a slave.  I've never discriminated against an African American.  Thus, I bear zero responsibility.

I'm glad that the multi-millionaire Kyle Korver recognizes his privilege.  That privilege is because he has one very elite skill that our society values for whatever reason, not because he's white.

“Not my problem, don’t care.” That’s exactly the attitude that maintains the status quo and doesn’t move the conversation forward on this site.

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

______

“Not my problem, don’t care.” That’s exactly the attitude that maintains the status quo and doesn’t move the conversation forward on this site.

No, there’s a difference between not caring and not owing an obligation.

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I feel like a lot of people get the concept of "white privilege" twisted, and end up getting triggered as a result.  I am talking about the people who feel that to acknowledge white privilege exists is equivalent to saying no white person had it rough or no white person had to work hard to get what they have in life.  I personally think it is hard not to recognize that being born in the majority comes with advantages, just as being born in the country period comes with advantages.  But just because you have an advantage, that does not mean you did or didn't work hard to make the most of those advantages.  Think of a player like Steph Curry.  He was raised by one of the best shooters of all time, and when it comes to trying to make a career as a basketball player, that is a huge advantage.  But Steph still had to work hard to make his own name and become the player he is today.  I think so much of this is about, at the very least, acknowledging these advantages exist.  Instead, there are many that would claim the issue of racism is settled in this country, which in turn leaves many minorities feeling like they are being gas-lit.  If we can acknowledge the issue exists, then that is the first step for brainstorming reasonable strategies for dealing with the issue.

Let’s concede for purposes of this conversation that being born a very poor black is more challenging than being a very poor white. Assume that the white has fewer barriers, in general.

What gets lost in the focus on race is that things change fairly dramatically when you change the class of one of the participants.  A middle class black has more privilege than a lower working class white. But, that nuance is ignored.

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 06:39:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Guys, save yourself a couple dozen points off your blood pressure and don't try to convince people on the Internet who have no interest in hearing you that white privilege is real.

We can go dig up statistics and testimonials by eloquent people from all walks of life, it won't make a difference.

Race is one of those topics that hit so close to home for people that trying to change anybody's mind by using arguments communicated over an electronic medium is a Sisyphean task, in my opinion.

I think the best hope for productive conversations regarding this and similar topics is to talk to people we know personally in real life.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Let’s concede for purposes of this conversation that being born a very poor black is more challenging than being a very poor white. Assume that the white has fewer barriers, in general.

What gets lost in the focus on race is that things change fairly dramatically when you change the class of one of the participants.  A middle class black has more privilege than a lower working class white. But, that nuance is ignored.

I think this statement is hard to qualify.  Also, it doesn't do much for the discussion at hand.  When examining the effect of an explanatory variable, you need control for confounding variables.  Of course class plays a role in privilege, but it is not the only factor.  This particular discussion is about the effect of race.  All things being equal, do you believe that it is not an advantage to be white?  Also, do you believe that race is not an issue for wealthy minorities?