Poll

Has Jokic surpassed Anthony Davis as the best big man?

Yes
5 (9.8%)
No
36 (70.6%)
Even
5 (9.8%)
Need to see more
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Has Jokic surpassed Anthony Davis as the best big man?  (Read 9603 times)

Re: Has Jokic surpassed Anthony Davis as the best big man?
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2019, 02:43:25 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
When people are debating these top big men, how much are injuries being considered? I think we may undervalue these guys missing 20 games a year. Davis was a bit healthier the last few years before this playing 75 games in each. Previously he was missing 15-20 games every year (and will this year too for a variety of reasons). Embiid misses more time, having never played in more than 63 games in a season in the 5 seasons since he was drafted. By the time he returns after the current 76ers road trip he will have missed 12 of 20 games since the all-star break. One of the main reasons the Nuggets may get into at least the 2nd round is because Jokic has played every game. If he misses 20 games this year, are the nuggets like the 6th seed instead of 2nd?
Did the Nuggets get a bye?  Otherwise there is no guarantee that they'll make it out of the 1st round. 

Once a player gets to around 60 games, I think availability is a minor factor.  In other words, it should play into how players in the same tier are ranked against each other but it shouldn't cause a player to change tiers.  Embiid and AD are dominant 2-way bigs and that puts them into the top tier by themselves.

I literally said exactly what I meant, and I didn’t come close to saying they were guaranteed. Really bad post.

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2019, 05:33:24 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Jokic has surpassed Anthony Davis as the best (big) man on someone's wedding.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2019, 07:32:41 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
When people are debating these top big men, how much are injuries being considered? I think we may undervalue these guys missing 20 games a year. Davis was a bit healthier the last few years before this playing 75 games in each. Previously he was missing 15-20 games every year (and will this year too for a variety of reasons). Embiid misses more time, having never played in more than 63 games in a season in the 5 seasons since he was drafted. By the time he returns after the current 76ers road trip he will have missed 12 of 20 games since the all-star break. One of the main reasons the Nuggets may get into at least the 2nd round is because Jokic has played every game. If he misses 20 games this year, are the nuggets like the 6th seed instead of 2nd?
Did the Nuggets get a bye?  Otherwise there is no guarantee that they'll make it out of the 1st round. 

Once a player gets to around 60 games, I think availability is a minor factor.  In other words, it should play into how players in the same tier are ranked against each other but it shouldn't cause a player to change tiers.  Embiid and AD are dominant 2-way bigs and that puts them into the top tier by themselves.

I literally said exactly what I meant, and I didn’t come close to saying they were guaranteed. Really bad post.
Sorry I was really tired last night.  I missed the "may" even though I read your post twice. 

My 2nd paragraph still holds.  AD and Embiid are in the conversation of best offensive big with Towns and Jokic and they are in the conversation of best defensive big with Gobert.  That puts AD and Embiid in the top tier by themselves even though they miss some more games.   

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Denver lost the "home court advantage" and is down 0-1 to the 7th seeded spurs last night. 

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2019, 09:06:58 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Denver lost the "home court advantage" and is down 0-1 to the 7th seeded spurs last night.

Is last nights game supposed to weaken the Jokic supporters in this debate?  He had 14 assists and 10 potential assists last night.  The Nuggets were 9-2 during the regular season when he had double digit assists.  I missed the game but it sounds like the Nuggets missed a ton of open shots.  If anything, I'd be concerned if he diverted from his normal style of play in the first game of a playoff series.

Let's see if a trend emerges throughout the series.  Hard to conclude much of anything from one game.

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Is last nights game supposed to weaken the Jokic supporters in this debate?  He had 14 assists and 10 potential assists last night.  The Nuggets were 9-2 during the regular season when he had double digit assists.  I missed the game but it sounds like the Nuggets missed a ton of open shots.  If anything, I'd be concerned if he diverted from his normal style of play in the first game of a playoff series.

Let's see if a trend emerges throughout the series.  Hard to conclude much of anything from one game.
I only watched very brief periods of the game, but it seemed as if Pop was daring them to shoot it at stages. I think he realises that besides Jokic they don't have many super threatening offensive weapons.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

I only watched very brief periods of the game, but it seemed as if Pop was daring them to shoot it at stages. I think he realises that besides Jokic they don't have many super threatening offensive weapons.

That makes complete sense against a team with very little playoff experience.  It's a great way to see how young guys handle the pressure of the postseason.  No reason to change anything until they start making shots. 

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That makes complete sense against a team with very little playoff experience.  It's a great way to see how young guys handle the pressure of the postseason.  No reason to change anything until they start making shots.
Yeah, classic Pop. His starting guards gave good production too, and they won despite a quiet game from Mills. I could easily see them upsetting the Nuggets
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I'd say it weakens the Jokic supporters.  He wasn't *bad* but he did show an inability to dominate and control the game.  I fell asleep during the game though.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I'd say it weakens the Jokic supporters.  He wasn't *bad* but he did show an inability to dominate and control the game.  I fell asleep during the game though.

I saw the game, I'm not in on the argument at all but if I were on Jokic's side, I would still be fine with that pick. He did well on LMA and did his job on the other end. Didn't get much help.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:45:24 AM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Don't we need to see how he responds in a similar situation as the series progresses?  What if his teammates had made two or three more of the wide open shots that he set them up for?  Would this mean that Jokic controlled the game with a 16+ assist triple double?

The Nuggets were an excellent team throughout the regular season. I'd be more concerned if Jokic stopped trusting his teammates in game 1 of a playoff series.