Author Topic: Griffin abuses Thabeet  (Read 2534 times)

Griffin abuses Thabeet
« on: July 17, 2009, 07:57:53 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
For those of you who were salivating over Thabeet, Blake Griffin abused him last night.

Griffin had 12, 11 and 3 in the first half of the game against him. Thabeet had 4 and 1.

Thank God Danny didn't waste a starter on a draft pick for him. Thabeet is a MAJOR project.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Re: Griffin abuses Thabeet
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For those of you who were salivating over Thabeet, Blake Griffin abused him last night.

Griffin had 12, 11 and 3 in the first half of the game against him. Thabeet had 4 and 1.

Thank God Danny didn't waste a starter on a draft pick for him. Thabeet is a MAJOR project.
I was one of those guys and I still stand by my premise.

First off, in this draft there was Blake Griffin, then a huge, huge talent drop off, then four guys with either step in right away type skill or huge potential(Thabeet, Rubio, Harden and Curry), another drop in talent though not anywhere near as close to the one after Griffin, and then a group of about 4-5 other okay guys and then the rest.

Second, it's Summer League. 50% of the guys that do great in SL never ever start an NBA basketball game(probably hyperbole but I think you get my meaning) and the other half do real well. And sometimes in Summer League the stats don't tell you anything.

Last night these guys didn't really match up against each other but both easily did win their match up versus second year players. Blake's overall game overwhelmed Darnell Arthur but Thabeet's defense, which everyone knew was his calling card and that he needed great work on the offensive end, stymied and completely shut down DeAndre Jordan who looked just lost out there trying to figure out how to do anything against Thabeet.

I still say Thabeet is going to be a hell of a pro and someday be a multiple time DPOY Award winner. But it will take time for him as his stone needs a lot more polishing than Griffin's does.

I didn't see the game but they didn't match up ag

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Seems like a lot to read from just one (summer league?) game.  Of course Griffin out played him, he's the better player right now.  But after one meaningless game I think its hard to go back and determine what was right and what was the wrong thing to have done.  Let's try to give them both a little more time before we try to retrospect how successful their careers have been head to head.

And just so that it can be said, I don't really care either way because I didn't have a strong feeling either way about the Celtics getting involved in this years recent draft.  I guess I lean towards being glad he didn't do anything, but I felt that way before it as well since there wasn't a considerable amount of talent out there.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:43:31 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I've always hated Thabeet. He's very weak for a player his size and will get pushed around by virtually every big who's name isn't Mikki Moore. In college, he was so good because he would back off his defender and make them shoot over him. Once people started going right at Thabeet, he was easily pushed under the basket and couldn't do a thing.

This happened the two times that UCONN played Syracuse. The fist game, Thabeet owned Rick Jackson and Arinze Onuaku (both NBA caliber big men). When they played in the Big East Tournament, they attacked Thabeet and got him into foul trouble. Thabeet was also very bad against Blair of Pitt. He can't play against bigs with NBA strength.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:50:31 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I've basically liked what I've seen from the top 10 rooks, except for Thabeet.  His team played against Sene's team the other day, though, and Thabeet is waaaay better than him.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Not comparing any of the parties involved, but Camby and Duncan met once in college and Camby destroyed Duncan.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Thabeet is going to be the biggest bust of the draft.

How do I know?

Chris Wallace drafted him.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Thabeet is a huge bust. I've been saying it all year long.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:56:30 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Thabeet is going to be the biggest bust of the draft.

How do I know?

Chris Wallace drafted him.

Mk

;)  TP
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Didn't see the game, but don't they play different positions? I'd assume that Thabeet would be matched up on DeAndre Jordan. Also, the Clippers got held to 65 points or so, and we know defense is Thabeet's forte. I wouldn't have taken Thabeet at 2, but I do think he will be pretty solid in this league. Not a star, but a serviceable starter.

I think Tyreke was Ainge's target in the lottery anyway... he looks like he's gonna be tough to handle this year. He's a beast going to the hole.