Author Topic: Finally a smart Western Conference Owner/GM (Odom)  (Read 7053 times)

Finally a smart Western Conference Owner/GM (Odom)
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, in an interview on NBA TV, said that Dallas has been in contact with the agent for Lakers free agent forward Lamar Odom, ...

Smart move by someone in the West. Unlike Pritchard wasting Cap space on Millsap to come off the bench.

I don't think Odom fits on a Mavs team with Dirk and Marion, (who plays center Dampier?)

However Cuban is attempting to jack the price up on the Lakers for Odom and that is a very smart move considering the Lakers reign as contenders will end if he leaves L.A.

Nice move Mark

Re: Finally a smart Western Conference Owner/GM (Odom)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:05:50 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Yeah, this is good for the whole league.  And if they can actually land him, why not?  He´s versatile, can play 3 positions if needed, he´s come of the bench in the past...

They can work out the details later, but never hurts to add another all star to the team.  Dallas could put a pretty strong/decent team out there this year.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I would be glad to see Odom leaving the Lakers, and if he can improve the Mavs and give the Lakers some tougher competition I'm all in.

Mark Cuban is spending a lot of money to improve his team this summer, the Mavs must really be happy to have a owner like him. He may not always take the better decisions (i.e Kidd for Harris) but at least he spends all the money he can spend for his team.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:43:59 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The Mavs could throw out lineup of Kidd, Howard, Marion, Odom, and Dirk. It would be very unorthodox, but all of those guys are good athletes, so it has the chance to work. I'm probably dreaming with that scenario, but I just don't want Odom back in L.A.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:47:10 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
Anyone know how much Dallas can offer. Is it just the MLE because the magic matched Gortats offer

i don't believe they have much Cap space if any to work with
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:54:49 AM by Rida »

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:48:46 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I just found the last part of the piece of news :

"...whose negotiations with Los Angeles are going slowly. But Odom is not likely to sign anywhere for the mid-level that the Mavericks now, again, have at their disposal; he's accepted that he'll face a pay cut from last year's $14 million, but doesn't want to go down that much."

Doesn't sound like Odom would sign with the Mavs but at least he isn't near anything with L.A.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
Cuban could always do something crazy. Trade Damps to a team with cap room that isn't using it, so that they can have Damp's expiring and use the trade exception to acquire damp? Could happen.

Either way, love whatever wrench is thrown into the purple machine.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:57:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
It doesn't seem like the Mavericks are able to get Odom. LA will offer more money, and they won't participate in a sign and trade because they'd be losing a huge amount of talent.

I think Odom is a foregone conclusion to end up back with the Lakers next season. It's just a matter of time until they re-sign him.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:58:08 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
Cuban could always do something crazy. Trade Damps to a team with cap room that isn't using it, so that they can have Damp's expiring and use the trade exception to acquire damp? Could happen.

I feel that Sam Presti would love to help out if he gets some long term cap relief and draft picks from Dallas as part of the deal. They could also throw Beaubois in who has been lighting up the summer league.

Its a risky proposition though if L.A match. However the lakers are up to their ears in luxury tax payments

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:23:41 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
It doesn't seem like the Mavericks are able to get Odom. LA will offer more money, and they won't participate in a sign and trade because they'd be losing a huge amount of talent.

I think Odom is a foregone conclusion to end up back with the Lakers next season. It's just a matter of time until they re-sign him.

Doesn't hurt to drive up the price for LA.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 07:42:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Definitely -- I think Portland is the only team who will be able and willing to do that.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 08:53:33 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

Definitely -- I think Portland is the only team who will be able and willing to do that.

Pritchard has to make a move what a waste of time going after millsap

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67

Pritchard has to make a move what a waste of time going after millsap

I agree, what's the point of Portland signing Milsapp?  He's a solid PF for sure, but this means they would have to do the following:

-They move Aldridge over to center, thus semi-waving the white flag on Oden, or at the very least are willing to wait for Oden to develop in another 3 years.

-Either that or they know that they can't (or won't) shell out big money for both Aldridge and Roy.  Pritchard chose to stockpile all of this quality, young talent, and now he's got some tough decisions to make.  I for one, would not spend that much money on Paul Milsapp.  The only player on their team that is worth close to max money is Roy, and even that is debatable for a few reasons.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

I think this was saying that Dallas coulkd trade Dampier to a team with cap room to get a trade exception, and use that for Odom.  Now that would be great to see, but the trade exception cannot be combined with the mid-level, so hopefully Dampier's contract is enough.  Taking Odom away from LA would be great.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Odom is going back to the Lakers. It is a foregone conclusion. No one out there who can offer him enough $$ that the Lakers won't match.  They are determined to get more championships, and know how important he is to there chances of repeating.