Author Topic: Iverson to the Clippers?  (Read 6196 times)

Re: Iverson to the Clippers?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Iverson is not coming off the bench especially on a non-contender and neither is Gordon, and neither is Baron Davis. Davis would have to be traded.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 12:08:01 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
What does this thread which is in all seriousness say about the state of A.I.'s career at this point?  Wow.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Iverson is not coming off the bench especially on a non-contender and neither is Gordon, and neither is Baron Davis. Davis would have to be traded.

Three guard lineup, i mean what difference does it make? they don't play defense anyways...

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 04:49:34 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Future HOFer and one of the greatest scorers of my lifetime.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 05:16:29 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Interesting prospect.  They should be a horribly fun team...whatever that means.  Seriously though, Baron and AI on the same team...Its gonna be interesting to see how this one plays out. ???
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:04:31 AM by Prof. Clutch »

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
I dont think Gordon has the profile or the game to determine whether or not he gets to start.

he's on the bench if iverson plays. for sure
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67
I actually don't think Iverson is perfect at all for the Clippers.  That is, of course, they are interested in developing their younger players into anything.  Think about it.  They already have an Iverson-esque player in Baron Davis.  They both play basically the same game.  That will be quite the roadblock in the development for guys like Griffin and Gordon.

I don't think AI would be a good fit here at all.  Although Baron Davis is a safe bet to miss half the year with random injuries so I guess it might work out.  But on paper it's a bad move.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Smart move by the Clippers, at least in an economic sense. 

AI will still put people in the seats.  From a basketball standpoint, I'm not sure it'd be that effective, though.  That team still appears to be on the track to mediocrity.
I really don't think this is true anymore. Its not like Detroit was selling out, or Philly when he was last there. Winning tends to fill arenas far more than stars. Now merchandise peddling, that requires star players.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I actually don't think Iverson is perfect at all for the Clippers.  That is, of course, they are interested in developing their younger players into anything.  Think about it.  They already have an Iverson-esque player in Baron Davis.  They both play basically the same game.  That will be quite the roadblock in the development for guys like Griffin and Gordon.

I don't think AI would be a good fit here at all.  Although Baron Davis is a safe bet to miss half the year with random injuries so I guess it might work out.  But on paper it's a bad move.
I really don't think Baron is all that simliar to AI. Both are inefficient scorers, but Baron is a superior passer and doesn't do the same sort of penetration that characterizes Iverson.

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67

I really don't think Baron is all that simliar to AI. Both are inefficient scorers, but Baron is a superior passer and doesn't do the same sort of penetration that characterizes Iverson.

Solid observation in pointing out the differences.  But in overall game, they both look to score with a ton of bad shots, and both look to shoot pretty much everytime they have the ball.  Baron is a better passer, true, but he's definitely not a true PG.  He's as much of a PG as Iverson is, which, is not much of one.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 10:33:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Solid observation in pointing out the differences.  But in overall game, they both look to score with a ton of bad shots, and both look to shoot pretty much everytime they have the ball.  Baron is a better passer, true, but he's definitely not a true PG.  He's as much of a PG as Iverson is, which, is not much of one.
Probably right, you don't need such duplication on a single team. If AI was coming off the bench it'd make more sense though, but that isn't happening.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
My God. They need to just take that franchise away from Mr. Sterling. Allen freakin' Iverson? This team is being built around Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon. There is finally some light at the end of the tunnel, with a potential franchise center and a young stud at SG. Allen Iverson might be the most selfish player in NBA history, and he's not even that good any more. And he plays the same position as Eric Gordon. And he wants good money (MLE).

No. Thanks. Please Clippers, if you don't want to be the butt of the joke, don't do it. Rebuild and do it right for once.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 11:49:25 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Wondering if there's a way for Baron Davis to land in Miami.  He's a flawed player, for sure, but he's probably the best PG that's potentially available to put next to D-Wade.  Let the Clips have AI; Simmons will have a blast with that.  Miami does NOT need, nor should they want, Iverson - look at how fractured Detroit became with AI in town, you think Wade's going to want to re-sign for that?  Davis pounds the ball too much, but he can run and gun and get other guys shots as well - it'd be interesting to see him feeding the ball to Wade, it would be a huge improvement over the guys Wade's playing with now. 

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think they will be very good next year if they sign AI. Griffin is going to be very good, Baron is an elite point guard when healthy. Gordon and Thorton are up and coming wing players. Kaman and Camby are both good centers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
Just when you think someone with a brain is calling the shots in Clipperland... :-\

I can only imagine the collective exhale amongst players in the Clipper locker room when Zach Randolph was traded.Now they turn around and are rumored to be interested in Iverson?!

If I'm Eric Gordon, I'm furious if this goes down.

Furthermore, is there a team in the league that you can look at and say, "they really need Iverson. He'll put them in the right direction."

Iverson cannot be a complimentary player, which is unfortunate, because he has immense talent and drive. The problem is that he needs to be the alpha dog to find that drive.

DON'T DO IT CLIPPERS! You've taken two HUGE steps forward by drafting Griffin and trading Z-Bo. Don't take three steps back by adding Iverson!   
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge