Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Finals: Cleveland(3) vs Atlanta(4)  (Read 104267 times)

2013 CB Draft: Eastern Finals: Cleveland(3) vs Atlanta(4)
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:11:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cleveland Cavaliers vs Atlanta Hawks

Cleveland
Guards: Ty Lawson, Tony Allen, Jamal Crawford, Steve Blake, Terrence Ross
Forwards: Al Horford, Carl Landry, Gerald Wallace, Caron Butler, Lamar Odom
Centers: Kevin Garnett, Timofey Mozgov, Bernard James
Lionel Hollins

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67439.msg1545562#msg1545562

Atlanta
Guards: Dwyane Wade, Jameer Nelson, Jeremy Lin, Gerald Henderson, Randy Foye
Forwards: Paul Pierce, Carlos Boozer, John Henson, Nick Young, DeJuan Blair, Mirza Teletovic
Centers: Nene Hilario, Alex Len
Coach: Kevin Stallings

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67441.msg1547026#msg1547026

Polls open at 12 noon EST Sept. 11th. Close 11:59:59PM  Sept. 11th. Here are the voting guidelines for this round:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67476.msg1549103#msg1549103
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:13:22 AM by nickagneta »

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Finals: Cleveland(3) vs Atlanta(4)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Thread open

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:40:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
At first glance, I reckon I'll be going with Cleveland due to their superior depth and coaching.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »

fitzhickey

Cleveland is super tough imo
and TA on Wade is a solid matchup
this is a toughie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If I vote Knicks will it count cause they're better than both these teams.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:32:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Unless KG and Lawson are partying with Odom before the games, I like this one for Cleveland.  The team defense should be able to disrupt Atlanta enough to win.

Cleveland in 6 (because we all know Pierce will go off in at least one game)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I had Atlanta as the top regular season team, so convince me they won't win.  Leaning that way, but HC could be enough to tilt the scale I suppose.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I had Atlanta as the top regular season team, so convince me they won't win.  Leaning that way, but HC could be enough to tilt the scale I suppose.

For whatever it's worth, Cleveland is a much stronger team in the playoffs than in the regular season. That team defense should be amazing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Going Cleveland. They were built for playoff success and match up especially well vs this Atlanta team. Atlanta doesn't have the defense to contain a KG, Horford, Landry front line and KG and Horford should be able to clamp down hard on Nene and Boozer. Wallace will harass Pierce and Allen will do the same with Wade. Pierce and Wade will get those but probably very inefficiently. Lawson has a great advantage over the Thunder PGs.

Just another series that I see going 5 games unless some very influential points come out telling me differently

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11:35 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Well, Cleveland is a very tough matchup. These two teams match up very well. Unfortunately for the Cavs, their structural weakness (the wing - and weakness is a relative term here because this is a very strong team overall) is where Atlanta is the best. Wade/Pierce/Henderson will have the opportunity to run up a big advantage against Allen/Crawford/Wallace/Butler. Ultimately, I think that's the difference in this one.

KG/Horford is a very imposing front line, but the Hawks are strong and athletic enough to wear them down over time - enough to make that matchup a close decision. Lawson/Nelson will match up two of the premiere tiny point guards in the league, and adding Lin to that mix gives the Hawks more firepower at the 1. It'll be a war, no doubt, but I like Atlanta's chances in this one.

Plus, old man strength. Old man strength and Finals MVPs, guys.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:17:13 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Not sure how Atl made it this far to begin with, but Cle is an especially difficult matchup for them. I think Atl's miracle run might be over.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Agree with what Roy and Nick have been saying in Cleveland's defense. The stakes are higher and a KG-led team will respond. The man-to-man and help defense will be stellar all around, and Atlanta will find baskets incredibly hard to come by.

While I agree with Champ that our wings are likely our weak spot, it's certainly not due to a lack of defense at those spots. Wallace and Allen may not be the best scorers, but they're two guys who can defend Wade and Pierce as well as anyone. We will carefully balance the minutes in this series so that Wade and Pierce can never get too comfortable, but also so that we get enough offense from Crawford and Butler.

Some of our earlier matchups in these playoffs have also had incredibly tough front lines to put up against Horford and Garnett. In the first round, we saw Millsap/Asik/Amar'e, and in the second round we saw Lopez/ZBo/Sanders. Nene/Boozer, while still a good 4-5 combo, is easily the weakest of these three platoons. Horford and Garnett should be at their best on both ends of the floor, and that will be a difference maker here.

One last thing: I don't like to nitpick, but I don't think you can name Jameer Nelson as a premeire PG. He was once an all-star, yes, but that was when his efficiency was through the roof, shooting over .500 from the floor and .450 from three (and 88% from the FT line). Over the last few seasons, those numbers have steadily declined, and last season he shot below .400 from the floor. Ty Lawson is clearly the better PG in this matchup, and he's obviously better than Lin too.

It's a fight between "Old Man Strength" and the KG Way. I think KG's team will pull this one out fairly easily.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Agree with what Roy and Nick have been saying in Cleveland's defense. The stakes are higher and a KG-led team will respond. The man-to-man and help defense will be stellar all around, and Atlanta will find baskets incredibly hard to come by.

While I agree with Champ that our wings are likely our weak spot, it's certainly not due to a lack of defense at those spots. Wallace and Allen may not be the best scorers, but they're two guys who can defend Wade and Pierce as well as anyone. We will carefully balance the minutes in this series so that Wade and Pierce can never get too comfortable, but also so that we get enough offense from Crawford and Butler.

Some of our earlier matchups in these playoffs have also had incredibly tough front lines to put up against Horford and Garnett. In the first round, we saw Millsap/Asik/Amar'e, and in the second round we saw Lopez/ZBo/Sanders. Nene/Boozer, while still a good 4-5 combo, is easily the weakest of these three platoons. Horford and Garnett should be at their best on both ends of the floor, and that will be a difference maker here.

One last thing: I don't like to nitpick, but I don't think you can name Jameer Nelson as a premeire PG. He was once an all-star, yes, but that was when his efficiency was through the roof, shooting over .500 from the floor and .450 from three (and 88% from the FT line). Over the last few seasons, those numbers have steadily declined, and last season he shot below .400 from the floor. Ty Lawson is clearly the better PG in this matchup, and he's obviously better than Lin too.

It's a fight between "Old Man Strength" and the KG Way. I think KG's team will pull this one out fairly easily.

Not premiere PG. Premiere *tiny* PG. Lawson and Nelson are two of the best distributors for guys who would need to sit on phone books in order to drive the team bus.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Not premiere PG. Premiere *tiny* PG. Lawson and Nelson are two of the best distributors for guys who would need to sit on phone books in order to drive the team bus.

Well, there's still quite a distinction to be made there. Lawson - now slowly making his way out of underratedness - has been ranked in the top 10 PGs in the league. Nelson's a bottom-10 starting PG in this league.

They are both tiny, but that doesn't mean they're comparable.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I guess for me I see Cleveland having a harder time guarding Pierce/Wade then Atlanta will Horford/KG.  I don't see how Nene/Boozer won't be able to handle Cleveland's front court at least reasonably well.  While Butler/Wallace/TA is going to struggle.

Advantage Atlanta.