7 (38.9%)
Neither player resigns with current team
2 (11.1%)
Only Butler resigns
6 (33.3%)
Only Leonard resigns.
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Will Butler and Leonard resign?  (Read 2201 times)

Will Butler and Leonard resign?
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I am wondering if what happened with George has made teams more likely to trade for expiring with the expectation that success on the court and a good culture can convince them to stay. Personally, I think there are risks with both of these guys. Butler now strikes me as just a really difficult guy in general, so I am not sure what teams he would fit best on, perhaps with a true superstar like Durant he couldn't really question. (Embiid is good enough as a player, but is younger and seems a lot goofier than Butler). Does Butler want bright lights of New York or LA? i really have no idea.

Leonard I am even less optimistic on because it seems like he wants to be treated as a royalty and a star and feels underappreciated. Despite the Raptors playing absolutely dominate basketball they are currently on national tv substantially less than the .500 Lakers. There is also talk that he absolutely hates cold weather and he is about to experience a Canadian winter.

What do you all think?

Re: Will Butler and Leonard resign?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Once Butler became a star he always has problems with young players, both in Chicago and Minnesota. Now he is on a team with young players like Simmons, Embiid, Fultz, Bolden, McConnell and Shamet. What happens if the youth acts like youth and costs Philly wins? Will he want to re-sign with a team that has so many young players?

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's been reported that Butler will likely re-sign with the Sixers. I don't think he will find a better situation than that.  I expect the Lakers will make a big push for Kawhi and get him. 

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Both players stay where they are. Both in good situations. Nobody out there offering a much better situation elsewhere since neither guy seems to want to play in LeBron's shadow.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Both players stay where they are. Both in good situations. Nobody out there offering a much better situation elsewhere since neither guy seems to want to play in LeBron's shadow.

There was a pretty good article on the Ringer about how the Clippers have actually became a very appealing option for stars (including Leonard). They are a fringe playoff team as is. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander seems like he has a chance to be special. At least some players seem to like playing for Doc. No really bad contracts. Putting the Clippers on the map and outshining Lebron would be an incredible accomplishment for a player.

I am not really sure what is possible and what is legal in terms of Butler saying he will resign with the 76ers. I read a report that said some vague language about pending his fitting in with the dynamic of Simmons and Embiid as a condition of resigning. That seems like a lot of wiggle room for a guy that has clashed hard with teammates in both of his career stops.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
From the Ringer: “He has to be on his best behavior [in Philly], and he knows it,” a league executive told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. “If he screws up that team, that’ll be three straight teams. Someone will sign him in free agency, but he won’t get all that he’s asking for.”

And there’s the rub: Is Butler really willing to sign up for that, after doing everything his way has gotten him this far?

“Like, you can’t judge the way I do things, whether you like it or not,” Butler told Sam Amick of The Athletic just before the trade. “Because I think that that’s the best way that I know how to express myself and how to get you to do what I’m asking you to do, and however you want me to do what you ask me to do. It’s how you go about it.”

How Butler goes about his business in Philadelphia could be the difference between the Sixers rejoining the championship conversation or spiraling out of control, and between Butler cementing himself as one of the premier versions of the league’s most valuable type of player or being branded as a stay-away malcontent. Butler played the Wolves heads up and won big. But another hand is about to start, and now the stakes are even higher.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I think a lot of this depends on how well Butler gets along with Kendall Jenner.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think a lot of this depends on how well Butler gets along with Kendall Jenner.
Don't think she and Simmons are an item anymore. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:35:52 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 05:35:03 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
George did say if he hadn't been traded to OKC that he would have signed with the Lakers.  Right now I'd say 60% Butler re-signs with the Sixers and 50% Leonard re-signs with Toronto.  I think the 5th year is probably more important to Butler.  I think Leonard wanted to get traded to the Lakers whereas Butler just wanted out of Minny.   

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I wanted Butler badly a few years ago, but now i kind of think we may have dodged a bullet. I wouldn't want him around Tatum and Brown and he appears very worn down for a 29 year old. If Philly gives him a 5 year max extension how much are they paying him for his age 33 and age 34 contract seasons?

Edit: I will add I don't think this is a bad trade for them because I think saric is very average and Covington has a fair, but no longer bargain contract. I just don't think he would have been great long term on the Celtics.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 06:53:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Butler, yes.
Leonard, I voted no for the same reasons as the ones listed in the OP.

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think they will both resign. When it's all said and done, their current teams can offer them the most money and a chance to contend. Its hard to pass that up.

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yeah, I don't see many all-star level guys in their prime running to join Old Man Lebron and a roster of guys who can't shoot.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I wanted Butler badly a few years ago, but now i kind of think we may have dodged a bullet. I wouldn't want him around Tatum and Brown and he appears very worn down for a 29 year old. If Philly gives him a 5 year max extension how much are they paying him for his age 33 and age 34 contract seasons?

Edit: I will add I don't think this is a bad trade for them because I think saric is very average and Covington has a fair, but no longer bargain contract. I just don't think he would have been great long term on the Celtics.
His numbers look as good as ever but not surprising that he'd look worn down playing 5 seasons for Thibs.  I think the last 2 years would both be over 40M but the cap should be quite a bit higher too.  Not nearly as bad as John Wall's contract. 

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 08:23:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His numbers look as good as ever but not surprising that he'd look worn down playing 5 seasons for Thibs.  I think the last 2 years would both be over 40M but the cap should be quite a bit higher too.  Not nearly as bad as John Wall's contract.
I think Thibs is definitely a factor as to why Butler is breaking down. He simply is terrible at managing guys minutes. I remember Luol Deng playing nearly 40mpg for nearly 5 years and it simply wrecked him. Same with Joakim Noah. Rose was different because he just had terrible luck, but he may very well have had his prime cut short anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)