Author Topic: Should TA Be Re-Signed?  (Read 18769 times)

Should TA Be Re-Signed?
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I wanted to make this a poll, but couldn't future out how to do it.

Should Tony be re-signed?  I say yes.

Edit:  I couldn't "figure" out how to do it.  Don't know how I messed that up. :-X
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:15:46 PM by Bankshot »
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Should TA Be Re-Signed?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the more interesting topic is whether or not Ray Allen should be re-signed.

I think the answer depends on how far we go in the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Of course. 1 or 2 years, particularly now that we traded away Walker and Giddens. Depends on who we draft also, but yeah I see little reason not to resign him, particularly if he's on the cheap and we have bird rights.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:57:34 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think the more interesting topic is whether or not Ray Allen should be re-signed.

I think the answer depends on how far we go in the playoffs.
There's no doubt that we re-sign Ray.

Even if we lose in the first round of the playoffs, we can't just let him walk.  If it's time for a change then you do a sign and trade.  But there's no way we just let him leave for nothing.  That would not make us a better team.

We have his bird-rights correct?

As for TA I say sign him back to a 1 year deal.  We could use the insurance at that position and we know what we are going to get from him.

And we have bird-rights on him too right?

Maybe I am getting this whole bird-rights thing wrong.  But if we can bring these guys back without having it count against the cap, or use up our MLE, then it would be kinda dumb not too right? 

When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Of course, given we go far into the playoffs I think he's our key guy to guard the quick guards while Rondo rests.

Marquis just isnt quick enough and Nate cant defend well.

I thought without Tony yesterday against Denver theres a good chance we could have dropped the game. He gave Melo and JR no breathing room at all where they usually take over.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Depends on a couple of things.

1. How well does the team do in the playoffs?
If it really contends for the title, I see Danny bringing back as much of the current roster as he can to take another shot at it.  I figure only 2 of TA/Finley/Daniels would be resigned even in that case and TA figures to be one of the 2 more affordable options.  If the team does poorly in the playoffs (based on play, not injuries), I see Danny jettisoning most of the expired contracts including TA unless Danny keeps him as roster filler.

2. Affordability.  As an FA, TA's on the open market.  If the deal is affordable, I wouldn't be surprised to see TA resigned and wouldn't be against it.  Probably get paid less than Daniels and possibly Finley so he's a good option for the bench.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Of course. 1 or 2 years, particularly now that we traded away Walker and Giddens. Depends on who we draft also, but yeah I see little reason not to resign him, particularly if he's on the cheap and we have bird rights.
I think we should re-sign him, if we use the MLE on a big man again.

If we use it on a wing its a more murky issue.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Depends on what his physical condition is come that time, and how he finishes out this season ... I wouldn't commit an answer at this point.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
As always, it depends on the cost and the years.  TA will always be a complentary player with potential to both help us win or help us lose.  He can be valulable with good players around him but certainly will not be any kind of a good starter on a mediocore team.

At the end of the day, we will need to sign players after this year.  And if he is willing to take a contract of 1 or 2 years for low money, then it can't hurt too much to bring TA back.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:18:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
For the vet min.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
A couple scenarios need to shake out before resigning TA.

1. If the C's completely collapse in the post season and look like old men, then its time to blow up the team. No role player should be resigned for longer than KG's deal - 2 years. In this scenario, Ray Allen could be gone, and everyone becomes trade-able for the next superstar. Pierce and KG go up for sale. Anyway, I don't expect things to get to this point. In this case we may need a decent body at the 2/3 off the bench to help fill the stripped roster, and I could see TA being retained.

2. If the C's win the whole thing or go down in still-contention mode, then Ray needs to come back, and the priority should be to land a really solid wing - a 6th man. A dream signing would be Mike Miller, Al Harrington, McGrady, Korver (if any of those dudes fall to MLE land). After that, TA is really showing that he can be a nice 2nd wing off the bench - and should be resigned at about the same rate: $2.5 million per year for 2 years.

So, yeah, most likely I see Tony coming back at a similar deal to his current one.

Now if we can't find a solid first wing, then the versatile Marquis Daniels becomes a priority to sign, and Tony's lack of shooting becomes redundant.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I don't see the correlation between our results in the playoffs and Ray's future with the C's. I understand the idea but whether we win it all, fall short or get beaten badly in the first or second round, it would be a mistake to let Ray go for a simple reason : his departure wouldn't do anything good to us since we wouldn't been able to sign somebody else with his expiring money, and we will still need somebody to fill the guard spot, and which player better than Ray could we realistically (key word here) afford? Nobody.

Shooters like Ray are really rare in the game and they are very valuable. Even if Ray is less efficient than before and starting to show age he would still be big for us as a starting guard or as a potential 6th man. Basically, re-signing him costs us nothing in terms of financial flexibility and it fills a big need, so I don't see the correlation between our results in the playoffs and Ray's situation. Sure, Danny could choose to blow it all up if things went really bad (we know they won't) but what's the point of blowing it all for the sake of blowing it up if you can re-sign a good player like Ray for "nothing"?

Anyway, to come back to the subject of the thread, I think TA should be re-signed. The best case scenario would be to re-sign him to a one year contract so he can play like he did this season because he is in a contract year. ;D

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Yes, 5 years at max money.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It depends on the price, and who else they sign.  If they can get him for roughly the same contract he is on, then I think it is a smart move.  I don't think you can count on him as a major part of the rotation, but at $2.5 million per year, it is not terrible for a guy who can slide right into the rotation, and provide defense, and some flashes of offense.

The fact that they can resign him without using the MLE helps him make a lot of sense for this team, since if they don't resign him, they might be looking at minimum guys, and rookies as their 4th wing.  

Now, if he wants a raise?  Let him walk.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Seriously, a 2 year deal for no more than $3 million total would be reasonable imo. He is what he is.
The only color that matters is GREEN