Author Topic: Should TA Be Re-Signed?  (Read 18771 times)

Re: Should TA Be Re-Signed?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
As of yet I don't know what is out there during the offseason.  If we keep Nate Robinson then I'd like for Marquis & Tony to be replaced by one player who is slightly better than either of them.  It should result in a savings.

If I had to make a decision now, I'd say yes to resign him.  During our championship run, and even this season, when Tony has gotten minutes filling in for Pierce (and to a lesser extent Ray) the starting roster has still done quite well.  I still think Doc isn't fully utilizing him, and he's at his best when he is slashing with our without the ball (like he was last night).  His defense is still well above average for the position. 

With a few big money guys like Garnett & Pierce on the team, the Celtics will need cheaper guys like Tony to be effective.  Thankfully the Celtics haven't dug themselves into a rut like other teams have by signing role players to $8 to $10 million / year.

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I would wait till after the playoffs to make that decision.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Re-sign Tony to a 5 year 111 million dollar deal. ;D But seriously, i like Tony and think he should be brought back cheaply on a 1 year deal if possible.

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

I would wait until after the playoffs to determine how much. 

I've gotten used to TA as a wildcard, and now I've also come to appreciate his contributions during that stretch where we saw so little effort from the team.  The C's have really invested in this guy over the years -- why unload him now that it appears he's gotten it together?

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
You know Doc, he loves defender more than offensive minded player. As long as he isn't asked to handle the ball or shoot 3 pointer then all's well. Get Mike Miller & find a way to re-sign Nate. If those 2 conditions are met, then you definitely re-sign Tony Allen. Tony can do what he does best, which is attack and play great Defense. Plus his teammate love him. Didn't Pierce lobby to re-sign him in the first place?

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You know Doc, he loves defender more than offensive minded player. As long as he isn't asked to handle the ball or shoot 3 pointer then all's well. Get Mike Miller & find a way to re-sign Nate. If those 2 conditions are met, then you definitely re-sign Tony Allen. Tony can do what he does best, which is attack and play great Defense. Plus his teammate love him. Didn't Pierce lobby to re-sign him in the first place?
The Big Three lobbied to get Rasheed on this team as well. Sometimes, players aren't the best judges for what additions are to be made to a team.

Why Not?
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
For small money, why not? He can serve a role and they are going to have to fill out the roster.

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

I would wait until after the playoffs to determine how much. 

I've gotten used to TA as a wildcard, and now I've also come to appreciate his contributions during that stretch where we saw so little effort from the team.  The C's have really invested in this guy over the years -- why unload him now that it appears he's gotten it together?
Yep. Could be really irritating if some other team will enjoy his progress, while we suffered through the bad years.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nope. That money can be better spent elsewhere, for some perimeter shooting off the bench and some D.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:07 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think he has managed to live up to his current contract. He still has time to prove himself. I expect the market for him will be even dryer, meaning possibly a minimum deal. I would consider that.

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2010, 07:20:10 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
and he can always be included in a trade for someone better if he's resigned
 ;)

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2010, 07:28:17 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
TA is good to use as an option to cover the tough guys...Kobe, carmelo....guys like that....he won't get the calls PP or Ray will, but he can be "in their face" and tire them out earlier, he has a fast leap, and he can be difficult to cover....also, he is a good sub to give PP a rest..I would keep him...MD hasn't really forgotten his last injury yet, so he isn't playing 100%...he better adjust asap....! So, yes, resign him, if he is cheap...they better not resign Scal...!

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
The Big Three lobbied to get Rasheed on this team as well. Sometimes, players aren't the best judges for what additions are to be made to a team.

Sheed was the best available big last season. To me that was a successful signing at the time. In hindsight, Ainge should have stayed far away. Sheed was way past his prime before he signed that ridiculous 3 year contract. TA just entered his prime, and will likely resign for cheap. Not saying C's should re-sign TA, but you can't compare TA to Sheed. TA is 100% effort, Sheed is 100% lazy.

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2010, 07:50:42 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
If I were TA's agent, I'd advise him to get out of Boston as soon as possible and go with an up tempo team like the Knicks or the Warriors.  He'll never really succeed in Rivers' offense, and his defensive abilites are underappreciated by both the coaching staff and the fans.