Author Topic: Alabama v. Ohio St.  (Read 5737 times)

Re: Alabama v. Ohio St.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 12:22:24 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Roll Tide Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooll
Bama all the way!!!  Really silly that Saban was passed over for coach of the year yet again. 

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 01:02:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Notre Dame was very deserving of their place in the playoff. Undefeated regular season, then lost to another playoff team in conference championship. No, they are not quite at the very top of college football. They just don't have the glut of these over-the-top athletes that Bama, Ohio State and Clemson currently have. Not sure what their limitations are in regard to recruiting. Do their prospects face tougher admissions standards in regard to academic requirements than other schools ?
Yes they have huge recruiting and problems.

In no specific order:

1) rigorous academics both at the school and for admission. ND like any school has it’s easy majors and courses and athletes get some help, but compared to a lot of big football schools like
The two playing in the national championship they are actually required to get an education and to actually complete degree worthy course work. At least that’s what more than a few players have told me. Granted several schools face this as well. Stanford and Northwestern spring to mind. Other good schools like Michigan don’t have quite the same requirement because they are much bigger state schools.

2) it’s in northern Indiana. It’s cold and Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.ty out there and the nearest city is Chicago 2+ hours away. Granted several schools like OSU, Michigan, to some level penn state have weather issues but most of these schools are big enough to have real towns with things to do. Ann Arbor or Columbus vs South Bend isn’t even a discussion.

3) it’s a catholic school. They have single sex dorms and you aren’t allowed to be in the opposite sex’s dorm after midnight. Plus you have to live on campus year 1 and most scholarships require multiple years on campus.

Now there’s plenty of schools that deal with each of these factors individually and the occasional one that deals with two. But in the CFP era who had really outperformed ND?

Alabam, Clemson, OSU, Georgia, LSU and if you wanna argue Oregon I’ll hear you out but does 1 playoff win excuse years of just being kinda bad? None of those schools face anything like what ND does save OSU’s comparable weather. Not sure how much more can be asked of Kelly. He’s led them to two playoffs and a national championship game in the last 10 years with really only 1 genuinely bad season. Sure they get smacked when they get there but that’s really not a failing. They SHOULDNT be able to compete with these schools.

And I’ll end with saying Notre Dame deserves some apologies. This is the second time they’ve been ripped for failing in the semis only for the championship to be even more lopsided. Losing to Clemson in ‘19 and Bama in ‘21 wasn’t being exposed those teams were that much better than everyone. No one was giving either a real game.

Remember since 2018 they are 43-8 with 3 losses coming to playoff teams, two to national champions.

That’s the 4th best record in the timespan. Last 3 years it’s 33-5 with two losses to national champions, the others to Michigan and Georgia on the road and Clemson in the ACC championship. How much better can you really ask?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:08:51 AM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 03:46:17 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Overrated Ohio State gets pummeled again by a SEC school,,love it!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 08:08:53 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I don't think it's a stretch to say that Devonta Smith will be good.

What about Mac Jones? He looked efficient last night. Anyone else think he could be legit?

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 08:52:20 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Mac Jones' stock went up big time. He's the wild card IMO in the Draft. Like, I think we all expect Lawrence + Fields obviously to go early. Even Wilson probably goes Top-12 probably. But Mac Jones it's hard to tell. I've seen some mock drafts have him higher than #15, but some have him available in the 2nd round. Wonder if the Pats would have interest in him? I would prefer Lance, Wilson or Trask btw, but wouldn't hate Jones especially if he was available in the 2nd round and you got him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 11:22:03 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Mac Jones' stock went up big time. He's the wild card IMO in the Draft. Like, I think we all expect Lawrence + Fields obviously to go early. Even Wilson probably goes Top-12 probably. But Mac Jones it's hard to tell. I've seen some mock drafts have him higher than #15, but some have him available in the 2nd round. Wonder if the Pats would have interest in him? I would prefer Lance, Wilson or Trask btw, but wouldn't hate Jones especially if he was available in the 2nd round and you got him.
Mac Jones did a wonderful job.  He's got better pocket presence and better touch on long distance throws than Tua.  That said I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. 

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 12:32:43 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Mack looked great.

I wonder if he fits Belichick's standards? I don't know if Bill will take a quarterback early. My guess is no.

The Notre Dame QB Ian Book looked OK this season and he'll be a 3rd rounder or later.

King out of Miami was very good and will be in a later round.

If Mack is there late in the second, Bill might take him.

Bill is hard to gauge with QB's. He took Brissett who was very intelligent, and mobile, but not a big runner. ACC

Ryan Mallett was a 3rd rounder that was OK. SEC

Brian Hoyer was also balanced. Big ten

Julian Edelman holds the record for most passing yards as a QB at Kent State. MAC

Ohio State spent their money on the Clemson game. The Tigers were so busy getting ready to play Bama for the national championship they forgot to beat Ohio State.

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 12:41:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Before the game Mac Jones was projected as a late 1st round pick.  That seems about right.  May have even moved up given how good his 2nd half was without Smith.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip