Author Topic: Billy Packer canned by CBS  (Read 8306 times)

Billy Packer canned by CBS
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
an era 34 years in the making has come to an end.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3485871

Clark Kellogg is likely to replace Packer and do the big tournament games with Jim Nantz
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Billy Packer canned by CBS
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Nice to see that the suits at CBS finally got around to doing this -- about 20 later than they should have - because the college game officially passed Packer by back in the late 80's.  Other than the ACC, the guy didn't follow the college game, was unentertaining and never said anything interesting.

Other than that he was a top notch analyst.  ::)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:45 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Packer had a good run, a very good run.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good decision by CBS.  Packer's time had definitely come.  (Actually, it probably came sometime in the late '80s-early '90s).  He's been a lightning rod for criticism and has been unable to recognize and adapt to the changing current of college basketball.  He's a fan of the big programs and was always ready to shoot down the upstarts.  (See St. Joe's).  He was critical of the mid-majors when it was evident that those teams were legit (See George Mason) and he just carried himself in a very haughty manner.  

Not sure how I feel about Kellogg.  I don't think his studio stuff is anything to rave about but his color analysis does seem to be alright.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
How soon before everyone's beloved Tommy is canned and replaced by the up-and-coming Donny Marshall?

Talk about losing your fastball!

Can't wait for that announcement!

Then we can have "Donny Points"!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Kellogg is a decent choice to replace him.  At least he's current on the college game. 

The thing about Packer is that Dick Enberg and Al McGuire made him.  Prior to CBS taking over the NCAA broadcasts, that team was incredibly popular and also entertaining as hell.  The reason was that McGuire was so off the wall and he would regularly challenge Packer and vice versa with Enberg doing a super job of acting as the play-by-play guy/referee.  Together they remain, by far, the best announcing team I've ever heard for college hoops.

Then Packer went to CBS for the big bucks and what you've seen the last several years is what you've always gotten from him at CBS, except that he was more with the times back in the 80's.  I've always felt that the reason he's kept his job was that he was either incredibly tight with the high ups at CBS (who were ignorant of the fact that the guy was at best an average analyst) or else he was real good at the corporate level taking care of the sponsors.

Take away Enberg and McGuire and he was a mediocre run of the mill analyst, but to be fair, Enberg and McGuire were never as good together as they were when Packer was with them.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How soon before everyone's beloved Tommy is canned and replaced by the up-and-coming Donny Marshall?

We don't want Tommy to retire.

And when he does, we don't want Marshel.  He is good in studio, not so good on the broadcast.

I say go with Scali.   TPs become 'Scali Snacks'

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9

We don't want Tommy to retire.

And when he does, we don't want Marshel.  He is good in studio, not so good on the broadcast.

I say go with Scali.   TPs become 'Scali Snacks'

I heard tommy is going to be frozen a la ted williams-then star in his own personal vanilla sky...

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:54 AM »

Offline cmburrill

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5

You should lose all your Tommy points. Hes an Icon and will leave when "HE" wants. I would never thought of using the word "incredulous" if not for him.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 05:21:24 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21

the difference is the packer does it for a national audience is should be very nuetral.

but tommy does local celtics games, and his passion for this team i believe is a huge part (other than historical success) of huge following of this team. i could not think of a better broadcast team than tommy and Gorman, althoug very bias, but there is so much passion and knowledge through years of experience in thier broadcast.

every once in a while, i feel that tommy is losing his mind, but i still love the guy, and really appreciate his commitment to this team