Author Topic: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?  (Read 92271 times)

Re: Could Horford end up being the worst contract of offseason?
« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2020, 08:39:26 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Probably the worst contract of all time now? Since he's on the bench?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2020, 08:47:59 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

No. He's still a valuable player on a contending team, but he needs to prove his value on the right team.

« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
he still played 28 minutes and had one of his better overall games in the last few weeks.  He should come off the bench.  Best way to maximize his skills.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2020, 10:03:17 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2020, 11:53:20 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
One expensive butt on the bench for Sixers ...wow...He needs the rest though for postseason.

« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2020, 12:33:42 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
he still played 28 minutes and had one of his better overall games in the last few weeks.  He should come off the bench.  Best way to maximize his skills.

Need more than 9 points and 6 rebounds a game for 28 millions. No other way to spin that.

« Reply #381 on: February 20, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

« Reply #382 on: February 20, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
He's not the worst contract of the entire offseason, but he's definitely on that "candidate list" for being one, especially now that he's likely coming off the bench from here on out (unless Embiid is hurt or load managed)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #383 on: February 20, 2020, 12:49:55 PM »

• Paul Silas

Need more than 9 points and 6 rebounds a game for 28 millions. No other way to spin that.

It's a comparable contract under the salary cap from a few years ago that Iggy played under for the Warriors. He averaged 7ppg, 4rpg, and 3 apg in his tenure there.

The problem is not Al Horford. He's under a decent contract for his expected role. He's a fourth or even a fifth offensive option on that team.

Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid should be better.

« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
He's not the worst contract of the entire offseason, but he's definitely on that "candidate list" for being one, especially now that he's likely coming off the bench from here on out (unless Embiid is hurt or load managed)

I am curious who is clearly worse at this point? Rozier who was mentioned is making 10 million less a year and putting up 18 points and 4 rebounds and 4 assists while shooting 39% from 3. You would like to see him shoot a bit better from the field but given his 9 year age difference from Horford or whatever, would definitely rather have his contract than Horfords.

Harris? He is at 19 and 7. Not what you want from a max contract, but again he is not going to curdle the next few years like Horford will continue to do.

Edit: Remembered Barnes, that is up there. He is probably tied with Horford in my opinion cause he is performing pretty bad, but is a bit cheaper than Horford.
Any other contract a contender?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:03:10 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I am curious who is clearly worse at this point? Rozier who was mentioned is making 10 million less a year and putting up 18 points and 4 rebounds and 4 assists while shooting 39% from 3. You would like to see him shoot a bit better from the field but given his 9 year age difference from Horford or whatever, would definitely rather have his contract than Horfords.

Harris? He is at 19 and 7. Not what you want from a max contract, but again he is not going to curdle the next few years like Horford will continue to do.

Kyrie definitely has to be a contender.  Aside from the chemistry issues, that his shoulder injury has not seemed to improve with rest and rehab has to be concerning for the Nets.

« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

I think Harris could be one. 180M? Yeesh.

Kyrie another. I mean the guy is on track to miss 2/3 of this season. Harrison Barnes signed for 4/85M and he's far from worth that.

The other factor to consider is what Horford does in the playoffs. He usually thrives in the bigger games and that's been true even this season when PHI seems to play in nationally televised games.

That said, Horford moving to the bench does make the case stronger that he is the worst.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I think Harris could be one. 180M? Yeesh.

Kyrie another. I mean the guy is on track to miss 2/3 of this season. Harrison Barnes signed for 4/85M and he's far from worth that.

The other factor to consider is what Horford does in the playoffs. He usually thrives in the bigger games and that's been true even this season when PHI seems to play in nationally televised games.

That said, Horford moving to the bench does make the case stronger that he is the worst.

Good call on Barnes, I have him tied ( i added him to my previous post actually without seeing yours). I would not quite lump in Irving with other players until we see him with Durant. He does have potential added value because Durant does not go there without him.

« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »

• Paul Silas

That's an odd comparison to Rozier. I think the Sixers like having Horford under his contract much more than the Hornets like having Rozier under his right now. I like Rozier, but high usage guards that can score 15-18 ppg on a bad team but cannot set up teammates are pretty common in the NBA, and they aren't helping anyone win championships. Horford is a much better player and better asset on his contract. .

If we had to convert their relative value to a standard, I would think Rozier would be worth at most an expiring and a lottery-protected first. Horford would be worth a role player on a decent contract, a young asset (not a star-potential asset, but still a young player), and a first or second (depending on the quality of the role player). They would get a similar package to the one that the Grizzles got for Gasol (Jonas, Wright, Miles, and a 2nd).

I'll put it this way: don't you think the Blazers would have been willing to trade Whiteside, Collins, and a first for Horford? I even think that in whispers they would have offered Simons instead of Collins.

All 30 teams, if all things were equal, would rather have Horford at 28 million than Rozier at 18 million.

« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
 >:(

That's an odd comparison to Rozier. I think the Sixers like having Horford under his contract much more than the Hornets like having Rozier under his right now. I like Rozier, but high usage guards that can score 15-18 ppg on a bad team but cannot set up teammates are pretty common in the NBA, and they aren't helping anyone win championships. Horford is a much better player and better asset on his contract. .

If we had to convert their relative value to a standard, I would think Rozier would be worth at most an expiring and a lottery-protected first. Horford would be worth a role player on a decent contract, a young asset (not a star-potential asset, but still a young player), and a first or second (depending on the quality of the role player). They would get a similar package to the one that the Grizzles got for Gasol (Jonas, Wright, Miles, and a 2nd).

I'll put it this way: don't you think the Blazers would have been willing to trade Whiteside, Collins, and a first for Horford? I even think that in whispers they would have offered Simons instead of Collins.

All 30 teams, if all things were equal, would rather have Horford at 28 million than Rozier at 18 million.

What in the world are you talking about? Every single writer or analyst I have heard that covers the NBA has mentioned Horford is a negative asset at this point... jesus.