Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs Bulls (0-0) Vegas SL Game 1 7/9/16  (Read 35313 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs Bulls (0-0) Vegas SL Game 1 7/9/16
« Reply #345 on: July 09, 2016, 09:59:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
buzz on brown seems to be accurate.  At this point in his career, he can't shoot or finish.  Here's hoping he develops it.  5 years from now he can be really good.

Not sure how say that is accurate already?
Cuz it's what we saw in College and it's what we are seeing now?  He can't shoot and he has trouble finishing.

I thought that you didn't watch college basketball ;) ;D.
On citing brown's college record,  I can see why we do so since we little else to which to refer. However, for,  perspective,  did brown's college career and games start sometime last autumn? Of 2015? It is now. July, 2016. The grand total of our data base on brown is still under one calendar year, no?

Let's do the unthinkable here at CB and actually wait for 2-3 seasons to pass before  making final judgements, please.
fair, but right now, I think it is also fair to say Brown struggles to finish at the rim. no one reasonable is suggesting this means he is doomed, but its a concern.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #346 on: July 10, 2016, 04:45:34 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I have a strong feeling we are going to be talking ourselves into Jaylen Brown when he's averaging well below 40% for the season in mid January.

I certainly won't. I'll be disappointed if Brown is not good and Ainge should worry about job security if he misses on that pick. So far Smart and Brown have both been underwhleming so far imo.

« Reply #347 on: July 10, 2016, 05:26:18 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I caught a good portion of the game on TV and though Brown didn't play very well (his knee was clearly bothering him, which he later confirmed) the one thing I saw from him that I really liked was his ability to create his own shot.  He had some nice mid range looks that he created by going between his legs on the dribble or taking little step backs.  Give him some time.  I don't think it is realistic to not expect a 19 year old rookie to have some growing pains.

Add Brown's athleticism to the above and you have the making of a potentially dangerous player.  Guys will have to respect the jump shot (should he fine tune it) and his ability to drive at the same time.  I like the pick and I'm going to keep my expectations in check for the short term.  Again, he is only 19 and shows an awful lot of promise on both ends of the floor.

Mickey, from what I saw, was disappointing.  Looked very timid out there.  Rozier is the exact opposite.  Terry looks like he is giving 110% from start to finish.  Bobby Portis could be a really nice player in this league, especially with his ability to shoot the ball starting to show.
Agreed on all points. TP. Brown didn't have a good game but showed some nice skills. That's all that matters. He'll be a good one.

« Reply #348 on: July 10, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Nader deserves to get a look.  Rj looked good from 3.  Yaba will be decent if he can open up that 3 shot.  Mickey looked more aggressive but got out bodied, he'll be ok.  Jaylen brown I was feeling oh boy Jeff green 2.0 but showed some flashes at the end...needs time.  Rozier was meh.

Everyone else was poop.

« Reply #349 on: July 11, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
A major positive comes out of this, though -- the Mickey Club gets hard evidence as to why he's not an NBA player.

Didnt Mickey dominate, statically,  in the D league last year? I'm not sure what is happening to his game. Summer league doesn't have that much more talent.

He didnt look good at all today though.

Summer League is actually a LOT stronger than the D-League, only the very top D-League players get to play in Summer league.  You have to consider that typically only 2 players from each D-League squad are actually associated with their NBA affiliate.   That means 85% of that league is comprised of guys who can't/won't be playing the NBA whereas more than 90% of summer league squads are made up of guys who either will play- or have played -in the NBA.

« Reply #350 on: July 11, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Nader deserves to get a look.  Rj looked good from 3.  Yaba will be decent if he can open up that 3 shot.  Mickey looked more aggressive but got out bodied, he'll be ok.  Jaylen brown I was feeling oh boy Jeff green 2.0 but showed some flashes at the end...needs time.  Rozier was meh.

Everyone else was poop.

Cause he didn't play....he's been great so far this Summer...and Nader has been good
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.