Author Topic: Celtics (39-16) at Lakers (42-12) Game #56 2/23/20  (Read 57007 times)

Re: Celtics (39-16) at Lakers (42-12) Game #56 2/23/20
« Reply #870 on: February 23, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Sometimes I wish Brad would just unleash JT and do away with his substitution patterns, specially when the other Cs aren’t doing much. It’s frustrating when you see JT going off and then Brad sits him down for a long stretch. He had like 37 points at the end of the 3rd and ended up with just 41.

I actually thought he did abandon his substitution patterns. Usually Tatum is the first to sit in the 3rd, but he decided to sit Brown and Hayward, and left Tatum out there to do his thing for almost the entire period. He came back in around the 8 minute mark of the 4th; we just didn't have enough to make up for some ill-timed missed lay-ups and garbage calls.

I do wish Brad would use his challenges on anything but a body to body foul call though. No matter what, there is always some kind of contact down low and those calls will always be upheld in order for the officials to save face.

The problem with challenges is you could only use one. So they have to be very picky in where to use it. We picked the right challenge this game, but we couldve used some more. Also the refs clearly erred on that challenge.

I think they should tweak the rule so you should keep your challenge until you lose a challenge.

« Reply #871 on: February 23, 2020, 06:54:44 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Sometimes I wish Brad would just unleash JT and do away with his substitution patterns, specially when the other Cs aren’t doing much. It’s frustrating when you see JT going off and then Brad sits him down for a long stretch. He had like 37 points at the end of the 3rd and ended up with just 41.

I actually thought he did abandon his substitution patterns. Usually Tatum is the first to sit in the 3rd, but he decided to sit Brown and Hayward, and left Tatum out there to do his thing for almost the entire period. He came back in around the 8 minute mark of the 4th; we just didn't have enough to make up for some ill-timed missed lay-ups and garbage calls.

I do wish Brad would use his challenges on anything but a body to body foul call though. No matter what, there is always some kind of contact down low and those calls will always be upheld in order for the officials to save face.

The problem with challenges is you could only use one. So they have to be very picky in where to use it. We picked the right challenge this game, but we couldve used some more. Also the refs clearly erred on that challenge.

I think you should keep your challenge until you lose a challenge.

Well that is a good change. Wouldnt matter for this game though.

« Reply #872 on: February 23, 2020, 06:56:24 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
As transcendent as Tatum was tonight, this game also exposed the next step he needs to take:  punishing teams with his vision.  When the Lakers sent two bodies at him, it largely stymied our offense.  We need to do a much better job of finding the open man when that happens, and it starts with Tatum.  I know it's not fair to ask even more of a guy who was already our best player tonight by far.  But if we're going to contend, that's a part of his game that he needs to unlock. 

Frustrating to lose this one, but it was a great game nonetheless.  I didn't like how the referees involved themselves in the game the way they did.  But it is what it is. 

Let's get the next one.
Good points but it starts with Brad Stevens NOT Tatum.  He should have recognized the change in defense on Tatum and adjusted.  Vogel out-coached Stevens tonight.   Complain all you want about missed bunnies and bad calls, those tend to even out over the course of the game.

« Reply #873 on: February 23, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
tough loss, it seemed like brad kept Tatum on the bench way to long to start the 4th, oh well....               on to the next...

umm

he is not  robot..he needs rest..

he's not a robot?     hmm....           didn't realize that...            ;)       I just thought he should've been brought back in two or three minutes before he was.       i mean, i know he played 36 minutes, but i think it could've been the difference, he was our best player tonight...         just my opinion...           

« Reply #874 on: February 23, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
The Celtics are able to win at Staples Center, they play very well here. Just look at their last 5 games here, keeping it to close single digits in losses. I hope we get another shot at them again later this season. With the Lakers having home court advantage and we have a healthy squad.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #875 on: February 23, 2020, 07:02:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
As transcendent as Tatum was tonight, this game also exposed the next step he needs to take:  punishing teams with his vision.  When the Lakers sent two bodies at him, it largely stymied our offense.  We need to do a much better job of finding the open man when that happens, and it starts with Tatum.  I know it's not fair to ask even more of a guy who was already our best player tonight by far.  But if we're going to contend, that's a part of his game that he needs to unlock. 

Frustrating to lose this one, but it was a great game nonetheless.  I didn't like how the referees involved themselves in the game the way they did.  But it is what it is. 

Let's get the next one.
Good points but it starts with Brad Stevens NOT Tatum.  He should have recognized the change in defense on Tatum and adjusted.  Vogel out-coached Stevens tonight.   Complain all you want about missed bunnies and bad calls, those tend to even out over the course of the game.

Yup

They were sitting on Tatum

Brad should have had Tatum post KCP, different look

Or drive and kick out

« Reply #876 on: February 23, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Let's get the next one.

It starts with Tatum. He was not good in recognizing the double and giving it up. Its the next step. Remember, they used to double IT as well and he did a good job of passing out of the double. Its how KO got that career game against the Wizards. Lebron for example passes very well out of the double.

« Reply #877 on: February 23, 2020, 07:07:04 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Let's get the next one.

It starts with Tatum. He was not good in recognizing the double and giving it up. Its the next step. Remember, they used to double IT as well and he did a good job of passing out of the double. Its how KO got that career game against the Wizards. Lebron for example passes very well out of the double.
Um, nope.  If Tatum couldn’t see it, Brad should have TOLD Tatum that that is what they were doing.  It’s a coach’s responsibility to tell the 21-year old.

« Reply #878 on: February 23, 2020, 07:08:25 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Let's get the next one.

Yup

They were sitting on Tatum

Brad should have had Tatum post KCP, different look

Or drive and kick out

Tatum hasnt really been a good post player. He also cannot drive coz they were doubling him when he starts making his move. The best option wouldve been to run it through Hayward or Brown,who were both struggling tonight.

« Reply #879 on: February 23, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I won't even use the refs as an excuse tonight, this was one hell of a game, and Tatum is growing right before our eyes. Lost by 2 points against the #1 team in the west. Came down to execution, and the one thing I am noticing now, the chemistry is really coming together and Kemba doesn't look like he minds giving the ball to Tatum and Tatum and Brown tandem is amazing.

« Reply #880 on: February 23, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Big Shout out to Daniel Theis

He's been HUGE lately.

« Reply #881 on: February 23, 2020, 07:23:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He's been HUGE lately.
No he hasn't!!!

He's only 6'8"!!!

😉😋😂

« Reply #882 on: February 23, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
I won't even use the refs as an excuse tonight, this was one hell of a game, and Tatum is growing right before our eyes. Lost by 2 points against the #1 team in the west. Came down to execution, and the one thing I am noticing now, the chemistry is really coming together and Kemba doesn't look like he minds giving the ball to Tatum and Tatum and Brown tandem is amazing.

TP!
Great game, we have a blossoming super star!

« Reply #883 on: February 23, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

He's been HUGE lately.
No he hasn't!!!

He's only 6'8"!!!

😉😋😂

lol he's been playing about 3 inches taller here the last month or so.

« Reply #884 on: February 23, 2020, 07:25:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

He's been HUGE lately.

+1.

And super efficient.  he had 16 points on 7 shots + 9 boards