Author Topic: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.  (Read 36962 times)

Re: Sam Hinkie was a genius. He's 100% right now.
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Would still take the rebuild Ainge did to that of Hinkie. Right now have better team. Have stars with playoff experience. Have 2 stud young guys who are great 2 way players. Have won back to back 50+ game seasons. Have been in playoffs 4 straight years. Have gone to ECF. When healthy next year will be favorite to go to Finals from east. Have better coach. Have about 8-10 year contending window
Which is completely irrelevant because the Sixers and Celtics were in very different situations 5 years ago.  The Sixers were a mediocre team at best that just had the Bynum trade blow up in their faces.  They had limited assets and didn't even have all their 1st round picks.  We on the other hand were on the downside of a championship caliber team with good trade assets.  If the Brooklyn trade hadn't occurred, where would our rebuild be? 

On the other hand, teams like the Kings and Magic are still bad teams with little to show for the last 5 years.  The Bucks have Giannis but not much more and they don't have cap space.  Unless they get lucky, they're going to be locked into mediocrity.  The TWolves finally made the playoffs as an 8th seed this season but that was to a large degree because of Butler.  They don't have cap space.  I think their upside is limited unless they move Wiggins for a good return. 

So which teams would you rank as being better positioned than the Sixers?  I'd say GSW, Celtics and possibly the Rockets (think their age limited).  If I knew Embiid was going to be healthy, I'd just say GSW.

But it did happen. That's like saying if the Sixers decided to build around Jrue Holiday, where would their rebuild be today?

What the Sixers did was such an embarrassment they had to reform the entire lottery because of them. Also, the other owners basically forced Silver to step in regards to the blatant tanking that was taking place - not only because of the losing, but because of lost revenue to home teams facing a woeful Philly squad.

Everybody gets it, losing increases one's odds of getting a higher pick; however, that doesn't mean that what they did was respectable or that they shouldn't have been punished for it. As I said before, I was much more impressed with Philly's MCW/Lakers pick deal and the Stauskas, Landry, Thompson, Sac pick for cap space deal than the total disregard they had for the integrity of the league and game. It isn't original and it's just not morally correct.
If the Sixers had tried to rebuild around Jrue, their rebuild would be in the crapper today.  He's not a star to build around. 

Personally, I find the Sixers tanking more respectable than this nonsense that teams pull at the end of the season sitting out healthy more talented players.  Those deals you mention were a key part of the Process.  As was trading Jrue for Noel and a 1st and the subsequent trade with the Magic. 

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The culture of winning thing will come out these playoffs or they will bitterly fail.  It is the one downside of tanking your team culture.   The Hawks a few years ago proved the regular season does not mean crap once the playoffs start.   So many teams were tanking this year that it remains to be seen how good the Sixers are given so many were trying to lose.

You could say that every season though, and teams don't get the #3 seed just because everyone else is tanking. Thats BS. There were hard fought battles to make the playoffs this season.

They got the #3 seed, and may go farther than us in the playoffs, despite our 'winning culture'.

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The culture of winning thing will come out these playoffs or they will bitterly fail.  It is the one downside of tanking your team culture.   The Hawks a few years ago proved the regular season does not mean crap once the playoffs start.   So many teams were tanking this year that it remains to be seen how good the Sixers are given so many were trying to lose.

You could say that every season though, and teams don't get the #3 seed just because everyone else is tanking. Thats BS. There were hard fought battles to make the playoffs this season.

They got the #3 seed, and may go farther than us in the playoffs, despite our 'winning culture'.

The Celtics improved every year and went to the ECF last year. They do have a wining culture and I’m tired of people downplaying it because of the sixers.

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 11:46:47 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
avoiding playingg and losing ON PURpOsE is nothing to be proud of .   

12 year olds plan to cheat the system.   instead of playing the game putting your best effort forth is nothing to brag about.

NBA never figured people would act this unprofessional to get a draft pick.

they were wrong .....philly set a new low .

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 11:46:50 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

The Celtics improved every year and went to the ECF last year. They do have a wining culture and I’m tired of people downplaying it because of the sixers.

I'm not downplaying it, I prefer what the Celtics have done, but don't downplay the Sixers, they are on our heels.

As for us making the ECF last season, we got rid of almost the entire roster from that team, so what effect does that winning culture have on this year's team? Most of them weren't there.

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 11:46:59 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
A lot of sour grapes in this thread. Give credit where it's due: Sixers have a really good young core and will be a factor in the East for years to come.

These “sour grapes” is because people seem to love to throw the Celtics aside as though they don’t have any good players.

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

I'm not downplaying it, I prefer what the Celtics have done, but don't downplay the Sixers, they are on our heels.

As for us making the ECF last season, we got rid of almost the entire roster from that team, so what effect does that winning culture have on this year's team? Most of them weren't there.

Despite that roster overhaul, they’ve improved. Despite the injuries they’ve endured they became one of the best defensive teams in the NBA that’s a winning culture.

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Things look good for them at the moment, but they haven't won anything yet, or even come close. And I still expect Embiid to get injured again.

And the rest of the league is still waiting for Kyrie to get injured again. Neither will happen imo.
Both will happen in my opinion. 

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Too bad the environment he created at the time probably cost them Porzingis. 

Talk about a "what if".

Things are certainly looking up for that franchise now but they crapped all over their fanbase for a handful of years. 

Was it worth it? Who knows?  I do know that if I was a STH during those years, I would've been p*ssed since it was basically lighting hard earning $ on fire.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Signing of Ilyasova and Benillini after trade deadline huge for their rise from bottom tier playoff team to top 3. Multiple 3 point shooters further unleashed Simmons’ best assets as playmaker, and minimize his outside shooting weakness. Ditto for Fultz.  Fact their streak was largely without Embiid speaks volumes.

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 11:53:53 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Despite that roster overhaul, they’ve improved. Despite the injuries they’ve endured they became one of the best defensive teams in the NBA that’s a winning culture.

Sure. I love what the Celtics have done. What the Sixers have put together is great too though. Both approaches can work, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

The people saying that Embiid will get hurt again ignore Kyrie's extensive injury history though, and the possibility that Hayward may never be the same player again.

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Signing of Ilyasova and Benillini after trade deadline huge for their rise from bottom tier playoff team to top 3. Multiple 3 point shooters further unleashed Simmons’ best assets as playmaker, and minimize his outside shooting weakness. Ditto for Fultz.  Fact their streak was largely without Embiid speaks volumes.
The 1st 7 games of the streak were with Embiid.  Ilyasova and Belinelli signing with the Sixers really improved their bench.  The Sixers starting 5 had the best net rating in the league but their weak bench kept losing their big leads in the 4th. 

Ilyasova and Belinelli signing with them should have put these silly culture arguments to rest.  Ilyasova played with the Sixers last season so he knows their culture.  Those two had plenty of good teams including us that they could have signed with.  They chose the Sixers and they did so for the vet minimum. 

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I know it's not really to the point of the thread but a question I have is hypothetical one based on the way to rebuild a team.

If DA decided to hold onto KG and Pierce (maybe Rondo as well). Wouldn't it be expected that such a decision would put this team in a bad low pick/ low asset  situation for a few years?

I look at Mavs as an example no matter if you throw $ at guys in FA with such low impact guys availble sometimes it requires bottoming out to rebuild if you keep guys till retirement.

That could have forced C's into 76ers multi year bottom tanking.

C's cut bait early and it worked out.

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Talk about a "what if".

Things are certainly looking up for that franchise now but they crapped all over their fanbase for a handful of years. 

Was it worth it? Who knows?  I do know that if I was a STH during those years, I would've been p*ssed since it was basically lighting hard earning $ on fire.
if they had Porzingis they don't have Simmons or Fultz.  I'm sure they are ok with the tradeoff
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2018, 12:48:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Talk about a "what if".

if they had Porzingis they don't have Simmons or Fultz.  I'm sure they are ok with the tradeoff

Sure.  Still doesn't mean that they didn't botch the situation at the time, though. 

Porzingis' reps wouldn't even deal with the Sixers because of the situation put in place by Hinkie.   That rests on Hinkie & the process. Not everything came up rosy.

And still doesn't negate the fact that the fanbase & especially the STHs got shafted for a handful of years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team