Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 28365 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
We need AD to keep saying he won't resign here and we want his value low. Makes dealing for him cost less.

Other teams can come up with better offers than Jaylen and picks.
A single player maybe but Im not so sure about the whole package though.

I really don't understand this board's mission to trade Horford.
You have to give to get Horford is a huge piece not a throw in. Hayward you can't trade. Smart and Irving are good together. Who else is left? Not much choice if you want AD

But, again, my speculation is that Horford would opt out if he suspected he might be traded to a going-nowhere franchise.
Horford is a glue guy and formerly recent all star. He has two or three years left if they keep him long term. If they don't keep him he provides cap relief which helps towards rebuilding. Plenty of reason to want him. I don't think he will opt out of 30 million
You are absolutely dead wrong about Horford opting out of his final year. Horford wants to win a title and he and his family love Boston. If Boston says they are trading him somewhere he doesn't want to go, and who in their right mind wants to play NBA basketball for the Pelicans without Davis there, especially if you are a veteran hoping to win a title, Horford will opt out and sign elsewhere. And no trade.

People need to stop thinking with their love of certain players.

Tatum is gone in a Davis trade.

Smart could/will also be going for salary matching reasons.

Horford controls where he plays next year and New Orleans is definitely not where he wants to play.

Hayward still has injury concerned and has 2 years at more than $30 million a year on his contract. New Orleans let it be known the would like some salary relief if they can get it. They don't want to be responsible for Hayward's remaining contract.

Brown could well be gone to NOP instead of Smart.

Williams could be gone as well since NOP might want him as a perspective Davis defensive replacement.

This all might suck to you if you want Tatum, Smart, Brown or Williams a Celtic long term, but it's what it is, reality. It's the cost of getting a top three player in the league.
You do know Horford can opt in then get bought out right?
Also what did Leonard go for or Cousins or Gasol or PG?
If a guy is on a one year no matter how good he is it usually doesnt cost that much to get him, especially if he says he is out.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:31:31 AM by Csfan1984 »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
We need AD to keep saying he won't resign here and we want his value low. Makes dealing for him cost less. Even if he wanted to come here he needs to stick to the story to ensure C's don't have to deal Tatum.

Maybe it allows team to make it Brown, Horford and 3 first of Grizz(we protect it top 3), Kings, Clippers/C's.

It might reduce what the Celtics are willing to give, but why would it change what the Pelicans are willing to take?

A single player maybe but Im not so sure about the whole package though. Brown, Horford and 3 first is tough to beat.

I really don't understand this board's mission to trade Horford. Guy is so underrated and would actually fit perfectly alongside AD in our hypothetical front court.
You have to give to get Horford is a huge piece not a throw in. Hayward you can't trade. Smart and Irving are good together. Who else is left? Not much choice if you want AD

Even assuming that Horford would allow himself to be traded -- which is up for debate -- why would New Orleans value him highly?  He'd be a 33 year old short-timer who wouldn't move the needle for NOP.  They'd no doubt try to retrade him, but it's difficult to match $30+ million salaries, especially without taking long-term salary back.  Not many contenders are going to have cap space / matching expiring contracts, plus positive assets to trade for Horford.

But, again, my speculation is that Horford would opt out if he suspected he might be traded to a going-nowhere franchise.
Horford is a glue guy and formerly recent all star. He has two or three years left if they keep him long term. If they don't keep him he provides cap relief which helps towards rebuilding. Plenty of reason to want him. I don't think he will opt out of 30 million
You are absolutely dead wrong about Horford opting out of his final year. Horford wants to win a title and he and his family love Boston. If Boston says they are trading him somewhere he doesn't want to go, and who in their right mind wants to play NBA basketball for the Pelicans without Davis there, especially if you are a veteran hoping to win a title, Horford will opt out and sign elsewhere. And no trade.

Horford controls where he plays next year and New Orleans is definitely not where he wants to play.

Hayward still has injury concerned and has 2 years at more than $30 million a year on his contract. New Orleans let it be known the would like some salary relief if they can get it. They don't want to be responsible for Hayward's remaining contract.

Williams could be gone as well since NOP might want him as a perspective Davis defensive replacement.

This all might suck to you if you want Tatum, Smart, Brown or Williams a Celtic long term, but it's what it is, reality. It's the cost of getting a top three player in the league.

Very good points, but the truth is and it's a big but Ainge makes trades in ways the great majority of us haven't even thought of.   Maybe he has a 3 team deal he would like to work for example Horford to Portland, and Nurkic (salary controlled for another 3 years), Turner (expiring contract), and a lightly protected future first going to NO along with say Brown or Smart maybe both, and our Grizzlies and Kings pick going to NO.  Portland maximizes Lilliard's remaining prime maybe only 2 or 3 years left, and Horford goes to a very good situation that is a great basketball city. 

Ainge held firm in holding onto Rondo in the KG trade which many of us thought he was a goner.   Maybe he finds a way to hold onto Tatum. 

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We need AD to keep saying he won't resign here and we want his value low. Makes dealing for him cost less. Even if he wanted to come here he needs to stick to the story to ensure C's don't have to deal Tatum.

Maybe it allows team to make it Brown, Horford and 3 first of Grizz(we protect it top 3), Kings, Clippers/C's.

It might reduce what the Celtics are willing to give, but why would it change what the Pelicans are willing to take?

A single player maybe but Im not so sure about the whole package though. Brown, Horford and 3 first is tough to beat.

I really don't understand this board's mission to trade Horford. Guy is so underrated and would actually fit perfectly alongside AD in our hypothetical front court.

Even assuming that Horford would allow himself to be traded -- which is up for debate -- why would New Orleans value him highly?  He'd be a 33 year old short-timer who wouldn't move the needle for NOP.  They'd no doubt try to retrade him, but it's difficult to match $30+ million salaries, especially without taking long-term salary back.  Not many contenders are going to have cap space / matching expiring contracts, plus positive assets to trade for Horford.

Very good points, but the truth is and it's a big but Ainge makes trades in ways the great majority of us haven't even thought of.   Maybe he has a 3 team deal he would like to work for example Horford to Portland, and Nurkic (salary controlled for another 3 years), Turner (expiring contract), and a lightly protected future first going to NO along with say Brown or Smart maybe both, and our Grizzlies and Kings pick going to NO.  Portland maximizes Lilliard's remaining prime maybe only 2 or 3 years left, and Horford goes to a very good situation that is a great basketball city. 

Ainge held firm in holding onto Rondo in the KG trade which many of us thought he was a goner.   Maybe he finds a way to hold onto Tatum.

Tatum is Al Jefferson in this trade. Smart maybe Rondo.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

That's actually a pretty easy package to beat. Gotta look at it through the eyes of the Pelicans. First off, Horford is more valuable to us than the Pelicans. Secondly, I think they would prefer Tatum to Brown. Third, they would probably want Smart. He would form a good back-up with Jrue Holiday. Question is that too risky without Davis signing an extension and possibly leaving after one year? My answer is.....yup!

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That's actually a pretty easy package to beat. Gotta look at it through the eyes of the Pelicans. First off, Horford is more valuable to us than the Pelicans. Secondly, I think they would prefer Tatum to Brown. Third, they would probably want Smart. He would form a good back-up with Jrue Holiday. Question is that too risky without Davis signing an extension and possibly leaving after one year? My answer is.....yup!
Davis is not going to sign an extension. He would lose money doing so. Most likely he plays out the year then signs a short deal or a couple of 1 year deals until he is a ten year vet and signs a five year max deal.

And that's not just because he is going to Boston. That's probably going to happen now matter where he is traded.

I might be wrong about the short one year deals but I am right that Davis isn't going to sign an extension for anyone.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The C's aren't dealing Horford or Hayward in an AD deal, period.

Both guys are the first two marquee FA signings in C's franchise history, which to me seems to hold a little more weight than people think. Also, I agree with what @nick said earlier (or was it Roy?), if Horford sensed that the C's would trade him to a non-contending team like Pelicans, he probably would opt-out.

Hayward meanwhile has looked better lately and I think he's essentially untouchable through this summer as it would look bad for the organization if they dealt him just a year after the season he suffered that gruesome injury (Hayward did leave a good situation in Utah to come here). Also I think Brad would vouch for keeping Hayward for the next few years.

And lastly, NOP wouldn't value these guys as much because of the $$$ they make and they prefer to stock up on younger pieces and future picks. So either way you'd have to do that and I guess my point is, why would WE want to give them up if we're also serious about competing for a championship. Like most have posted, even if you give away Hayward/Horford for salary, you're still likely giving up Tatum, Grizz Pick, and a few other young pieces or picks...

Also, you see Stevens say it, you hear Tatum say it, even Kyrie and many others, Horford is the glue-guy on this team and probably the most important team-player. When he plays well the team wins a ton of games and his positive play has a trickle-down effect on every player alongside him on the court. He's also one of the better defending bigs in the league and is an Embiid-stopper seemingly.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Davis is not going to sign an extension. He would lose money doing so. Most likely he plays out the year then signs a short deal or a couple of 1 year deals until he is a ten year vet and signs a five year max deal.

And that's not just because he is going to Boston. That's probably going to happen now matter where he is traded.

I might be wrong about the short one year deals but I am right that Davis isn't going to sign an extension for anyone.

I still think the risk is very high for the Celtics, knowing we could deal 2 useful players like Tatum and Smart (per se) for a guy who might just be here for a year.

I know all 28 other teams would be taking the same risk. Which is why the more I think about it, why bother even trading for him when you can just sign him as a free agent in the summer of 2020? By then, Horford's contract will be off the books and Hayward will only have his player option remaining, which perhaps the Celtics could attempt to deal leading up to next year's trade deadline to clear up cap space.

KG signed an extension upon the trade, which made acquiring him a no-brainer. I don't see it as such a no-brainer with Mr. Unibrow.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
The C's aren't dealing Horford or Hayward in an AD deal, period.

Both guys are the first two marquee FA signings in C's franchise history, which to me seems to hold a little more weight than people think. Also, I agree with what @nick said earlier (or was it Roy?), if Horford sensed that the C's would trade him to a non-contending team like Pelicans, he probably would opt-out.

Hayward meanwhile has looked better lately and I think he's essentially untouchable through this summer as it would look bad for the organization if they dealt him just a year after the season he suffered that gruesome injury (Hayward did leave a good situation in Utah to come here). Also I think Brad would vouch for keeping Hayward for the next few years.

And lastly, NOP wouldn't value these guys as much because of the $$$ they make and they prefer to stock up on younger pieces and future picks. So either way you'd have to do that and I guess my point is, why would WE want to give them up if we're also serious about competing for a championship. Like most have posted, even if you give away Hayward/Horford for salary, you're still likely giving up Tatum, Grizz Pick, and a few other young pieces or picks...

Also, you see Stevens say it, you hear Tatum say it, even Kyrie and many others, Horford is the glue-guy on this team and probably the most important team-player. When he plays well the team wins a ton of games and his positive play has a trickle-down effect on every player alongside him on the court. He's also one of the better defending bigs in the league and is an Embiid-stopper seemingly.

Not referring to a Davis trade, but I wouldn't deem Hayward "untouchable." Especially when Tatum plays the same position as him and is just as good, if not better.

I want Hayward's tenure to be a success, but if his salary was needed to match up in a trade, then no one is off-limits.

If Danny Ainge traded other guys who gave alot to the franchise like Pierce, KG and IT, he shouldn't keep Hayward off the table just because Brad Stevens coached him in college.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

More like 2 year deals like the one Lebron signed in Cleveland back in 2015.
The 2nd year will most likely be a player option.

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

I still think the risk is very high for the Celtics, knowing we could deal 2 useful players like Tatum and Smart (per se) for a guy who might just be here for a year.

I know all 28 other teams would be taking the same risk. Which is why the more I think about it, why bother even trading for him when you can just sign him as a free agent in the summer of 2020? By then, Horford's contract will be off the books and Hayward will only have his player option remaining, which perhaps the Celtics could attempt to deal leading up to next year's trade deadline to clear up cap space.

KG signed an extension upon the trade, which made acquiring him a no-brainer. I don't see it as such a no-brainer with Mr. Unibrow.

I think you trade for him to take advantage of the opportunity to get him into our organization for a year.  He comes in, sees how everything is operating (a lot more successfully than New Orleans), develops some relationships, creates experiences (playoffs) and is more likely to re-sign, just like Paul George did in OKC.  Then he’d have to leave here versus us trying to convince him to sign from somewhere else.  If you wait until free agency he could go to 28 other teams and have no idea what it’s like in Boston.  Maybe he’s already in LA then because they traded for him.  It’s not so easy to “just sign him as a free agent”. 

Danny has been collecting assets for this.  The assets we’ve seen grow and have grown to love, but he got them to trade for Anthony Davis.  That’s been reported, and it’s been a plan for years.  You grow assets and trade them for certain superstardom if the timing is right and it can win you a championship.  I fully believe that we will win a couple of championships in the next 5 seasons after this one if we’re trotting out something like Kyrie Irving, Jalen Brown, Gordon Hayward, Anthony Davis, Al Horford.  I’d much rather this than LA getting Davis and the Lakers tying or passing us for total championships.  No thanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:42:30 PM by C3LTSF4N »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I think you trade for him to take advantage of the opportunity to get him into our organization for a year.  He comes in, sees how everything is operating (a lot more successfully than New Orleans), develops some relationships, creates experiences (playoffs) and is more likely to re-sign, just like Paul George did in OKC.  Then he’d have to leave here versus us trying to convince him to sign from somewhere else.  If you wait until free agency he could go to 28 other teams and have no idea what it’s like in Boston.  Maybe he’s already in LA then because they traded for him.  It’s not so easy to “just sign him as a free agent”. 

Danny has been collecting assets for this.  The assets we’ve seen grow and have grown to love, but he got them to trade for Anthony Davis.  That’s been reported, and it’s been a plan for years.  You grow assets and trade them for certain superstardom if the timing is right and it can win you a championship.  I fully believe that we will win a couple of championships in the next 5 seasons after this if we’re trotting out something like Kyrie Irving, Jalen Brown, Gordon Hayward, Anthony Davis, Al Horford.  I’d much rather this than LA getting Davis and the Lakers tying or passing us for total championships.  No thanks.

Exactly!

The first sign of an AD-Kyrie pairing was when Ainge didn't trade Kyrie at the trade deadline.

If Ainge thought Kyrie would leave at the end of the season, Ainge would've traded him.

Next step was keeping all the assets at the trade deadline.
Ainge didn't even shed salary to go under the tax line.

The final piece will be signing a player for the full MLE.
By doing that, Celts will have another player to use to match salaries in an AD trade.
Celts will be able to keep both Smart and Horford.

In the end it will be Tatum, picks, and other players, not Smart or Horford, for AD.
Celts will be on their way to multiple championships in the next decade.

Also, Celts have not won back to back since 1968 and 1969, Bill Russell days.

It would be great for long time Celtic fans to win back to back championships with Kyrie and AD.

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

Danny has been collecting assets for this.  The assets we’ve seen grow and have grown to love, but he got them to trade for Anthony Davis.  That’s been reported, and it’s been a plan for years.  You grow assets and trade them for certain superstardom if the timing is right and it can win you a championship.  I fully believe that we will win a couple of championships in the next 5 seasons after this if we’re trotting out something like Kyrie Irving, Jalen Brown, Gordon Hayward, Anthony Davis, Al Horford.  I’d much rather this than LA getting Davis and the Lakers tying or passing us for total championships.  No thanks.

Exactly!

The first sign of an AD-Kyrie pairing was when Ainge didn't trade Kyrie at the trade deadline.

If Ainge thought Kyrie would leave at the end of the season, Ainge would've traded him.

By doing that, Celts will have another player to use to match salaries in an AD trade.

In the end it will be Tatum, picks, and other players, not Smart or Horford, for AD.

It would be great for long time Celtic fans to win back to back championships with Kyrie and AD.

That’s true, good point because we freed up a roster spot by trading Jabari Bird to Atlanta before the deadline.  That gives us the roster spot for the MLE pick up to match salaries in a potential AD trade.  There’s an awful lot of steps being taken towards acquiring Davis.  I don’t think Ainge is freeing up a spot for a buyout candidate that’s looking for minutes though.  We have enough guys in the rotation and I doubt they want to mess with chemistry any more than they have.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:15:41 PM by C3LTSF4N »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Exactly!

That’s true, good point because we freed up a roster spot by trading Jabari Bird to Atlanta before the deadline.  That gives us the roster spot for the MLE pick up to match salaries in a potential AD trade.  There’s an awful lot of steps being taken towards acquiring Davis.  I don’t think Ainge is freeing up a spot for a buyout candidate that’s looking for minutes though.  We have enough guys in the rotation and I doubt they want to mess with chemistry any more than they have.

Absolutely!

The player the Celts will sign for the MLE will most likely end up like what Keith Bogans was for the KG and Pierce trade to Brooklyn back in 2013.

I think that's the reason why the Celts are in no rush to sign anyone.
Celts have until March 1 to sign a player eligible for the playoffs.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Danny has been collecting assets for this.  The assets we’ve seen grow and have grown to love, but he got them to trade for Anthony Davis.  That’s been reported, and it’s been a plan for years.  You grow assets and trade them for certain superstardom if the timing is right and it can win you a championship.  I fully believe that we will win a couple of championships in the next 5 seasons after this one if we’re trotting out something like Kyrie Irving, Jalen Brown, Gordon Hayward, Anthony Davis, Al Horford.  I’d much rather this than LA getting Davis and the Lakers tying or passing us for total championships.  No thanks.

If Davis was under contract for let's say....3 more seasons, then I would say definitely! I would've made a trade yesterday. But again, it's only for 1 season. Believe me, I want us to win a championship (or championships) and I want it to happen MUCH sooner rather than later.

However, I am also looking at the periphery as well. Davis could already have his mind made up as to where he wants to play in 2020 and say it's not Boston. Then we would've traded some of our players and draft picks which we could either keep or trade for another player (and the cost might not even be as high.)

You never know who else might request a trade in the next few months. I understand Davis is a special talent. I get it. But...I also don't trust him and think he might be a bit of a prima donna who's more about the bright lights and big city than he is winning a championship.

Also, I am not convinced a Laker of team of Lebron and Anthony Davis is inevitably going to win a championship. In fact, I can think of several other Western teams (excluding GSW) who would still be better such as OKC, Denver, Houston, Portland, San Antonio, Utah, the Clippers.

Point being....I still think we can win a championship without Davis if we play our cards right and if Ainge trades for him and he bolts after 1 year, could set this franchise back for a long time. We'd basically have to start rebuilding all over again, and I don't want that.

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Ainge is a gambler.

Right now all signs point to Ainge gambling on AD.

I think Ainge is confident that if AD comes to Boston, he's going to love Boston.