Author Topic: I’m Moving On. AD Doesn’t Want BOS & Trading Tatum For A Rental Would Be Idiotic  (Read 30510 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
On or before draft night we will find out if we have Davis and Kyrie. If it is announced we are drafting for another team on draft night, that means the Davis deal is done and will be completed later in the summer. And if Davis is coming, it's a guarantee Kyrie is back.

Now if the Davis deal isn't done, I think Kyrie still signs. The growth of Brown's, Williams', Tatum's and Hayward's game alone to add to the same basic team as this year would be enough for Boston to still be considered a contender while adding more high end youth. Or using those pick's to bring in another player. Boston is still in play as Kyrie's most likely landing spot.

If both Davis and Kyrie are not here, you re-sign Rozier and play the team that made it to the 2017 ECF's only having Hayward instead of Morris and Williams instead of Theis. And you have a ton of youth behind them.

would we be resigning Rozier mainly because of cap reasons, or because he would be the best point guard we could get for our money, or maybe both?  (serious question)

I really hope we don't re-sign Rozier... I just don't like his game that much, but as a starter he's okay... He's slightly above average which isn't saying much.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
On or before draft night we will find out if we have Davis and Kyrie. If it is announced we are drafting for another team on draft night, that means the Davis deal is done and will be completed later in the summer. And if Davis is coming, it's a guarantee Kyrie is back.

Now if the Davis deal isn't done, I think Kyrie still signs. The growth of Brown's, Williams', Tatum's and Hayward's game alone to add to the same basic team as this year would be enough for Boston to still be considered a contender while adding more high end youth. Or using those pick's to bring in another player. Boston is still in play as Kyrie's most likely landing spot.

If both Davis and Kyrie are not here, you re-sign Rozier and play the team that made it to the 2017 ECF's only having Hayward instead of Morris and Williams instead of Theis. And you have a ton of youth behind them.

would we be resigning Rozier mainly because of cap reasons, or because he would be the best point guard we could get for our money, or maybe both?  (serious question)

I really hope we don't re-sign Rozier... I just don't like his game that much, but as a starter he's okay... He's slightly above average which isn't saying much.

I am not a huge Rozier fan, but I am not completely against resigning him if Kyrie bails out.  I just wonder if there are other better point guards out there in free agency this year that we might be interested in as well if AD doesn't get traded to us, and Kyrie doesn't re-sign.

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

I am not a huge Rozier fan, but I am not completely against resigning him if Kyrie bails out.  I just wonder if there are other better point guards out there in free agency this year that we might be interested in as well if AD doesn't get traded to us, and Kyrie doesn't re-sign.

Kemba, D’Angelo Russell, Bledsoe, Dragic, Brogdon, Rubio, Collison, IT, Rondo, Teague, Satoransky, Beverley, Payton, Rivers, McConnell, Mudiay, and Lin will be feee agents.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kemba, D’Angelo Russell, Bledsoe, Dragic, Brogdon, Rubio, Collison, IT, Rondo, Teague, Satoransky, Beverley, Payton, Rivers, McConnell, Mudiay, and Lin will be feee agents.
I think the majority of the second half of your list are guys we can realistically. It's probably unpopular, but I've always wanted Rondo back. PBev or McConnell would be good too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

To answer that first question (bolded), it's pretty much both. Looking at the names C3LTSF4N posted, a lot of them are likely to get really good deals and some max-deals, which the team can't afford even if Kyrie walks (we don't have much cap space for it). Sure, guys like Rondo, Beverley, etc. we could scoop for maybe the MLE or on a shorter deal, but if it's between that or bringing back Rozier at say.. 12-13M AAV, then I think they'd take Rozier also given his age. Also, we have Rozier's Bird Rights, which is a big factor too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
The more I think about it, the more I feel that if we do lose Kyrie this summer, we're simply better off continuing to build with Tatum, Brown and hopefully 2-3 of Rozier/Williams/Smart/Memphis Pick.

Yeah it would kind of suck and wouldn't be ideal, but it could definitely be a lot worse. Basically go back into a semi-rebuild where we remain a playoff team but maybe not a contender. The hope would be that one of Tatum/Brown takes a big leap while the other at the very least can play close to all-star caliber.

Horford and/or Hayward would come off the books (or opt-out and re-structure) and cap space can get opened up again down the line.

If Kyrie is willing to stay, then certainly I expect Danny (and Kyrie) to make their case/pitch with AD in the summer (before Draft), but otherwise I'm no longer going to lose sleep on this. Whatever happens will happen and we'll just move forward. 

If we keep Kyrie but AD still doesn't want to come here, then just move on and build with Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, etc. and wait to see if another potential star becomes available via trade (nowadays it seems like this happens a lot more often).

No one knows what's going to happen (not even Woj, Jackie Mac, Shams, Windhorst, etc.), so just enjoy the ride for now. Maybe an "underdog mentality" is where we truly thrive like we did last year and we're in that territory now seemingly.

This is exactly the route we should take if Kyrie leaves us holding the bag. Try and find his replacement, and make the focus on Tatum and Brown. Keep accumulating assets and developing players until the moment when a star is ready.
Don't punt everything for that one star, once we already lost our one star.. I would love to use draft capital and players to take a swing at Wendell Carter Jr if Davis doesn't come here.

This will be a vital and interesting summer overall, as we'll have a lot more clarity on things after July I imagine.
I feel like this sense of gloom and doom around our team is directly related to the uncertain future ahead of us. Once the team heads down a path, everything should fall into place.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic Danny knows something we don't and he has a plan in place. It's certainly been an up-and-down year but maybe Kyrie has told Danny he's really going to sign and Danny knows AD would actually like Boston and it's simply his agent making those claims he doesn't. Danny himself also seems calm about everything going on (making the "marriage/engagement" comment) and while Jackie Mac has also been concerned about the team's chemistry, even she usually has shot down those Irving-Boston tension reports and she's very well connected to him.

Again, who knows? This stuff is behind closed doors even to most reporters and the truth is no one knows anything yet. That's just the positive possibility. We'll see what unfolds.

Right now I think it's 65% likely we keep Kyrie and 40% likely we trade for AD. That's my prediction as of today. 

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

I think the majority of the second half of your list are guys we can realistically. It's probably unpopular, but I've always wanted Rondo back. PBev or McConnell would be good too

Imagine the stretches with a Smart-Beverley back court!

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Seeing that Tatum dunk last night, man, if he does go in an AD deal then I'll really miss him  :(

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Seeing that Tatum dunk last night, man, if he does go in an AD deal then I'll really miss him  :(

I think it will be a bad decision to trade tatum.

If Davis wants us, then no tatum. period.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Theoretically I think having Brown (and/or Smart) post-Davis trade is the better fit for the roster as a whole if we assume Hayward essentially takes over the wing spot (and maybe Morris if he re-signs or Semi as he takes on a bit of a bigger role off the bench I imagine).

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Theoretically I think having Brown (and/or Smart) post-Davis trade is the better fit for the roster as a whole if we assume Hayward essentially takes over the wing spot (and maybe Morris if he re-signs or Semi as he takes on a bit of a bigger role off the bench I imagine).

Tatum is high value.

If davis comes here and tatum is still here the team will make it work.

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
1st of all, I don't believe any of the crap about AD not wanting to be here because it came from Rich Paul.  I don't want Danny to give up a bunch for a rental either.  Danny's smart and I trust him to do the right thing.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
1st of all, I don't believe any of the crap about AD not wanting to be here because it came from Rich Paul.  I don't want Danny to give up a bunch for a rental either.  Danny's smart and I trust him to do the right thing.

Honestly the longer this drags out, I also wonder how it'll be if we trade for AD (possibly more willing to come here now) but Rich Paul is still his agent. I really hope we start seeing more people/parties calling him and Lebron out for their blatant actions... even Gentry recently called everything a "dumpster fire" and KD has also lashed out about all this recently.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
When Garnett was traded to the Celtics he wasn't very happy, for some reasons many NBA players resent the winning tradition of the Boston Celtics. Maybe the feeling is transferred from older relatives who remember the domination of the '50s, 60s, and 70s...who knows.

Once Garnett was introduced to that tradition he enthusiastically can aboard. Once he shook the hand of Bill Russell and the hand of Tommy then looked to the rafters viewing the championship banners and retired numbers of the legends, he changed his mind.

Danny must feel he can make Davis a Celtic fan once he sells him on that mystique. I really feel Danny is counting on this and he's willing to roll the dice. As we know Danny isn't afraid.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Once Garnett was introduced to that tradition he enthusiastically can aboard. Once he shook the hand of Bill Russell and the hand of Tommy then looked to the rafters viewing the championship banners and retired numbers of the legends, he changed his mind.
This is not what happened.

Garnett literally signed an extension as part of the trade, it was an extend and trade.

He changed his mind because the C's traded for Ray Allen and then Chauncey and a another of his good friends (I cannot recall who) sat down with him and talked him into getting out of Minnesota. Convinced him he had to do it for his own sake to have a chance to win.