Author Topic: Dragan Bender Sports Science  (Read 10062 times)

Re: Dragan Bender Sports Science
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2016, 07:59:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
People say he's skinny and looks brittle. But he's very young, and it isn't like he has bad work ethic like someone like James Young, who just hasn't put forth the time and effort into becoming better. Bender has never been questioned for his lackadaisical work ethic, so him being skinny and weak is merely just a issue that could be resolved in 1-2 years of dietary supplements, power lifting, and bulking.

His frame leaves room to be desired, but I think for what he'll make up in strength, he'll make up in finesse and shooting touch to create more offensive opportunities for him.

Agreed with the user above; Bender is known mainly for his shooting and passing. Versatility in today's NBA is very vital, but not every team should try to aim like GSW, because rarely will you see teams with players as gifted as Green, Curry, or Thompson. 

So he's young, intelligent at passing, his shot has a high arc and fluid trained motion, and 7 feet tall with potential two way capability?

I'll take a flier on him any day, with the exception of Ingram dropping, or Ainge seriously believing Brown or Chriss are the right picks.

I'm just worried we'll pass on Bender, and he'll have a breakout rookie season.

How? When he is going from warming one bench to warming another?

Unless the team is D league calibre (76ers) ,  Bender should not playing much next season.   

He is going to get pushed around left and right.

Big players now a days need to develop a strong body/lower body/core 1st.  Look at Christian Wood (undrafted last season).  On the surface he has a nice looking "profile". His height, wingspan, athleticism , can shoot a little , drive to the basket , block shots etc

But because he is rail thin, he spent pretty much all season in the D league and in the weight room. 

Not sure if he will even be ready for this up coming season.  The scary part for him is, he may never put on the pounds/strength required to handle the NBA grind.
thoughts on Ingram?

Ingram is a SF not a frontcourt player.   He won't be fully ready next season but will get playing time with either the 76ers or Lakers.

Ingram skills > Bender. The ball handling, shooting from anywhere on the court.   Able to drive, stop and pop.   Ability to get all the way to the rim  (the knock on bender).   

Worst case Ingram may not be able to bulk up ever as some expect but if you look at skinny sfs like Tayshuan Prince and the career he has had (as a skinny guy) ,  Ingram can follow the same lead

Lol.

You might be the only guy that thinks he is a pf.  Ingram was a SF in college ball and will be a SF at the NBA level

Umm, since when is a small forward not considered to be a frontcourt player?  Did I miss the memo? 

And I don't think that Ingram is a pf - I never said that.  He did play as a 4 in college, though.
I was always taught that back court players were guards and front court players were forwards. So as long as I've followed basketball a 3 has been a front court player.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2016, 08:09:40 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
People say he's skinny and looks brittle. But he's very young, and it isn't like he has bad work ethic like someone like James Young, who just hasn't put forth the time and effort into becoming better. Bender has never been questioned for his lackadaisical work ethic, so him being skinny and weak is merely just a issue that could be resolved in 1-2 years of dietary supplements, power lifting, and bulking.

His frame leaves room to be desired, but I think for what he'll make up in strength, he'll make up in finesse and shooting touch to create more offensive opportunities for him.

Agreed with the user above; Bender is known mainly for his shooting and passing. Versatility in today's NBA is very vital, but not every team should try to aim like GSW, because rarely will you see teams with players as gifted as Green, Curry, or Thompson. 

So he's young, intelligent at passing, his shot has a high arc and fluid trained motion, and 7 feet tall with potential two way capability?

I'll take a flier on him any day, with the exception of Ingram dropping, or Ainge seriously believing Brown or Chriss are the right picks.

Unless the team is D league calibre (76ers) ,  Bender should not playing much next season.   

Big players now a days need to develop a strong body/lower body/core 1st.  Look at Christian Wood (undrafted last season).  On the surface he has a nice looking "profile". His height, wingspan, athleticism , can shoot a little , drive to the basket , block shots etc

But because he is rail thin, he spent pretty much all season in the D league and in the weight room. 

Not sure if he will even be ready for this up coming season.  The scary part for him is, he may never put on the pounds/strength required to handle the NBA grind.
thoughts on Ingram?

Ingram is a SF not a frontcourt player.   He won't be fully ready next season but will get playing time with either the 76ers or Lakers.

Ingram skills > Bender. The ball handling, shooting from anywhere on the court.   Able to drive, stop and pop.   Ability to get all the way to the rim  (the knock on bender).   

Worst case Ingram may not be able to bulk up ever as some expect but if you look at skinny sfs like Tayshuan Prince and the career he has had (as a skinny guy) ,  Ingram can follow the same lead

Lol.

You might be the only guy that thinks he is a pf.  Ingram was a SF in college ball and will be a SF at the NBA level

Umm, since when is a small forward not considered to be a frontcourt player?  Did I miss the memo? 

And I don't think that Ingram is a pf - I never said that.  He did play as a 4 in college, though.
I was always taught that back court players were guards and front court players were forwards. So as long as I've followed basketball a 3 has been a front court player.

Exactly. A small forward is, by definition, a forward, making him not a guard.

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some scientists think this show is not too scientific.

http://www.wired.com/2013/04/a-quick-check-on-espns-sport-science/

This guy picks apart their science in several cases above.   There is a reason ESPN is not putting men on the moon or the like, they are about sports and science is not their forte.   But projections of potential certainly is, and we all know how that works.   Sometimes it does and you look great other times you look like a fool because it doesn't happen.

Nice measurements that have not translated into solid playing time or dominance, that ought to scare his supporters but it does not because to like him, one has to ignore stats.   Science is based is facts and theories that are based in fact.   Dragan simply has not  shown more than he is a hypothesis at this point.  If he was as great as some say, why didn't he play more?   Some real tall guys have played and not done well.

This is ESPN hype, little more they did they same thing for Exum.  How did that work out?

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

thoughts on Ingram?

Lol.

SF is a SF.  Not a backcourt nor frontcourt player

In any case a SF doesn't have to be guarding the post or be as responsible to secure for defensive rebounds.   

In addition this is not just a matter of strength but Benders (power forward) attitude near the post.  You have to consistently want that "defensive rebound"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:47:07 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

thoughts on Ingram?

Lol.

In any case a SF doesn't have to be guarding the post or be as responsible to secure for defensive rebounds.   

In addition this is not just a matter of strength but Benders (power forward) attitude near the post.  You have to consistently want that "defensive rebound"
1,2 are backcourt

3,4,5 are front court
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 09:19:17 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

thoughts on Ingram?

Lol.

If you don't even know what the frontcourt is, you probably shouldn't be arguing about this.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2016, 12:47:28 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
thoughts on Ingram?

LOL.  Such obvious bias.  Ingram is skinny and weak but it will all work out.  Bender is skinny and weak but he will never gain muscle or strength.  Gimme a break!

Bender is the best passing big in this entire draft outside of Simmons.  He doesn't need to take his man off the dribble to make an impact on the court.  And when he does get open he can bury 3 point shots.

On top of that Bender has elite lateral agility for a big man.  Look at how Festus Ezeli's slow feet might have cost the Warriors the title.  He was an absolute mismatch every time he ended up on Lebron James.

Bender has the skillset to be a 7'1 Draymond Green.  Draymond Green BTW is only 6'7 but he scored 32 points and grabbed 15 boards in game 7.  Imagine how scary a 7'1 Draymond Green would be??

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

thoughts on Ingram?

Lol.

Small Forward IS a front court player.  You don't know what you're talking about here, and it sounds bad.  Just admit that you're wrong and move on.

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 01:15:32 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Small forward has always been called "front court".

I do feel like the emphasis on the 3 has made that designation dated. SF is more of a backcourt perimeter player these days.