Author Topic: Jabari... Please...  (Read 4332 times)

Re: Jabari... Please...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Hold on guys, if the housing for next year was no big deal, how come none of the other draftees have done it?

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd think that too, but, not knowing the byzantine intricacies of NCAA guidelines for student-athletes and what might constitute "improper gifts," I wonder if miraculously finding a star sophomore a sweet dorm on-campus well after the deadline for housing assignments had passed might cause some kerfuffle.

This is probably a non-story. 

For those who have been in college recently, it's not a surprise.  Housing selection for the fall semester does indeed happen around this time, at all schools.  Because Jabari hasn't ruled out being at Duke next year (since he has yet to declare), it makes sense that he would go through the housing process like everybody else.

Jabari is probably also going through course selection for next semester, too.

While it may be a non-story, you guys seem to think major college athletes are like regular students.

When you're a major basketball or football NCAA program you have your own dorm just for players.  The players get into any class they want (even full classes always have a few extra spots reserved just for situations like this).  You don't have to worry about getting your forms in on time (or at all probably). 

Now this is Kentucky, not Duke, but check out Kentucky's basketball dorm:

(video here)
http://www.onenewspage.us/video/20120907/1047961/ABC-36-Sports-at.htm

(pics/description here)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/eight-reasons-opponents-ought-jealous-where-kentucky-houses-183025487--ncaab.html

I imagine Duke's setup is something similar.

There's no competition or worries about losing your spot in these dorms.  How ever many roster spots they have, they have that many rooms reserved for their athletes.

It's nothing like it is for regular students.

This is less true of some schools than others.  Duke is a smaller private school and doesn't have designated athletic dorms like a lot of bigger state schools do.  I'm sure wheels get greased but if you live on campus you're in the same system as everyone else.  Whereas Kentucky treats its players like the quasi-pros they are.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:01:43 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hold on guys, if the housing for next year was no big deal, how come none of the other draftees have done it?

Do we know this to be the case, or is it simply that we haven't seen news stories about the other potential draftees doing it, because they're not a lock to be picked in the top 3?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain