Author Topic: UPDATE: Celtics "frontrunner" to sign Harris, reports Steve Kyler  (Read 19118 times)

Re: UPDATE: Celtics "frontrunner" to sign Harris, reports Steve Kyler
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Have been told the #Magic will not match a max offer to Tobias Harris, so the market value has been set.  #Celtics

https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/616294562982703104?s=09

Edit: h/t BudweiserCeltic:

Steve Kyler @stevekylerNBA
There have been indication that Boston could be the front runner, but was told that Harris' camp has made no decisions yet
Eh... despite what they are saying...

My excitement level if Tobias Harris was an unrestricted free agent and news came out that we signed him:  6/10

My excitement level if news came out that we were signing Harris... in spite of the fact Orlando will probably match:   1/10

My excitement level right now where news is coming out that we might sign Harris... in spite of the fact Orlando will probably match:  -0.5/10

Can you post your excitement meters if the Sixers were signing him?

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I would much rather spend the money on Kevin Love or Greg Monroe which we still have a  shot at.  Tobias Harris isn't winning us a championship.  Bad move.

Kevin Love and Greg Monroe arent winning a championship either ..

Re: Washburn: Magic won't match max offer to Tobias Harris
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2015, 02:47:18 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Giving max money to non-max players is a mistake.  I know he is young, and has decent numbers, but what impact does he have on winning?

But you have to define what a max contract is.  Just estimating the numbers, it will be about $16 mil for Harris this season.  For an older veteran, it is about $22m.  With the salary cap going up to $89m next year, it will be about $20m for a young guy and $28m for an older guy.  In 2017, with the cap going up to $108m, it will be about about $25m for a young guy and $34m for an older guy, meanwhile Harris will be locked in at around $17m that year. 

If Harris improves at all, and he's only 22, that contract will be a bargain.  Considering he plays a position of need and his youth, this seems like an easy decision to me.
I understand.  But we can't ignore the pretty big assumption that is being made here; that Harris (because he is young) will necessarily get better and better.  That certainly does not always happen and you have to be concerned that his numbers are inflated now due to being on a bad team.

When you look at his comps on basketball reference, they aren't too encouraging to be sure.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harrito02.html

Yep, those comps make me pray that we don't sign Harris.  The stats out there that are designed to predict future performance (instead of simply measuring past performance) are not kind to Harris. 

So many other guys who would make more sense for us.

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2015, 02:48:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tobias Harris at $16 million annually will be a bargain within a year or two even if he never gets better.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I would much rather spend the money on Kevin Love or Greg Monroe which we still have a  shot at.  Tobias Harris isn't winning us a championship.  Bad move.

Well we apparently gave Harris an offer sheet. I'm fine with it as long as it's a lowball offer.  Harris is a good player. I just wouldn't break the bank for him.  If Love and Monroe are off the table signing Harris makes sense.

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Giving max money to non-max players is a mistake.  I know he is young, and has decent numbers, but what impact does he have on winning?

But you have to define what a max contract is.  Just estimating the numbers, it will be about $16 mil for Harris this season.  For an older veteran, it is about $22m.  With the salary cap going up to $89m next year, it will be about $20m for a young guy and $28m for an older guy.  In 2017, with the cap going up to $108m, it will be about about $25m for a young guy and $34m for an older guy, meanwhile Harris will be locked in at around $17m that year. 

If Harris improves at all, and he's only 22, that contract will be a bargain.  Considering he plays a position of need and his youth, this seems like an easy decision to me.
I understand.  But we can't ignore the pretty big assumption that is being made here; that Harris (because he is young) will necessarily get better and better.  That certainly does not always happen and you have to be concerned that his numbers are inflated now due to being on a bad team.

When you look at his comps on basketball reference, they aren't too encouraging to be sure.

Yep, those comps make me pray that we don't sign Harris.  The stats out there that are designed to predict future performance (instead of simply measuring past performance) are not kind to Harris. 

who exactly?

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
the celtics have given Harris an offer sheet. Hopefully it's a lowball offer.

can you post a link with your claims dude?
Not being facetious just want some clarity/evidence when statements like this are made.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

Well we apparently gave Harris an offer sheet. I'm fine with it as long as it's a lowball offer.  Harris is a good player. I just wouldn't break the bank for him.  If Love and Monroe are off the table signing Harris makes sense.

If all the other big stars are gone what does a few million dollars matter?

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

If all the other big stars are gone what does a few million dollars matter?

It really doesn't.  I'm fine with it I guess.  We are the hawks pretty much.  Gotta have Brad Stevens working here.

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Not super excited about this but I'd rather see them pay a young guy with upside then a guy like Milisap that's only gonna decline.  At least it's not another guard.

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

who exactly?
Not trying to be rude but maybe like, nobody?  Again, I will defer to the experts in the end but sometimes, no move is better than a bad one.

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Not super excited about this but I'd rather see them pay a young guy with upside then a guy like Milisap that's only gonna decline.  At least it's not another guard.

Oh I agree definately.  We sign Harris we are a non star laden team as it stands, and will rely on or own guys to become that is all.  Brad is going to have to work his magic.  I'm fine with this though.

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
who exactly?

I'd like to see us try to trade for Cody Zeller or Favors (TPE).  I was really hoping we'd make a strong run at Middleton.

At this point, I'd prefer a few low-risk gambles to a deal for a guy like Harris.  Maintain as much flexibility as possible so that we can go after elite talent when the opportunity emerges.

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Harris is a better option than Middleton I feel.  He's a scorer.

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
I don't really see what the debate is about?  We need to improve our overall talent level on the team across the board.  Every single starter could be replaced if we are able to find the talent.  Is Harris going to lead us to a huge win turnaround, probably not.  But if he is the best free agent that we are able to swing you absolutely grab him, especially if he is locked up at a team friendly deal as the cap goes up and up over the next few years.  I mean in 3 years his deal might be seen as a bargin, and he might still improve as a player.  At worst that gives us someone of great trade value to package to get a superstar even if he doesn't become our next superstar.