Author Topic: UPDATE: Celtics "frontrunner" to sign Harris, reports Steve Kyler  (Read 19127 times)

Re: UPDATE: Celtics "frontrunner" to sign Harris, reports Steve Kyler
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 02:13:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Some people have to step-up their reading comprehension game. :)

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I would hold out here teh more I think about it.   He is going to get a big chunk of change  and deservedly so but I'm not sure i want to do that on our roster.  Think about if he was here already and was asking for that kind of money.  Would people want to pay him that?  I can kind of understand where Orlando is coming from there.

maybe teams won't bid too high and we will get him on the cheap after it goes around though.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania - Boston and Dallas are leaders so far in pursuit of free agent forward Jae Crowder, league sources tell RealGM. Mavs dealt him last season.

Lol Dallas wants Crowder back after trading Rondo  ;D ;D ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Kyler did not say the Celtics are the front runners that's a misrepresentation.

Steve Kyler ?@stevekylerNBA  · 7m7 minutes ago 

Steve Kyler retweeted The NBA Hub™
Not what I reported at all... 

Steve Kyler added,

The NBA Hub™ @TheNBAHub 
Boston Celtics are reportedly closing in on Tobias Harris. (via @stevekylerNBA)

Steve Kyler ?@stevekylerNBA  · 15m15 minutes ago 
There have been indication that Boston could be the front runner, but was told that Harris' camp has made no decisions yet

The title doesn't say they're "closing in on him," it says that the Celts are frontrunners, which means they're the favorites to sign him but that no decision has been made. That's exactly what Kyler said. If people don't know the meaning of frontrunner, that's not my fault.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I would hold out here teh more I think about it.   He is going to get a big chunk of change  and deservedly so but I'm not sure i want to do that on our roster.  Think about if he was here already and was asking for that kind of money.  Would people want to pay him that?  I can kind of understand where Orlando is coming from there.

maybe teams won't bid too high and we will get him on the cheap after it goes around though.

Hold out for who ?

When you can upgrade a position, specifically a starting position, you gotta do it.  Especially when the kid is 22.

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Would we want to give him the max?  There'd probably be some opposition among fans.  Would we rather pay him the max or see somebody else sign him away and get nothing?  A large majority would rather give him the $$, even if it was seen as an overpay.

Besides, you've got an awful lot of donuts riding on this negotiation.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Have been told the #Magic will not match a max offer to Tobias Harris, so the market value has been set.  #Celtics

https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/616294562982703104?s=09

Note to Gary, the Magic saying they won't match a max offer for Harris doesn't mean the market value has been set, it pretty much means the opposite.

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238

Hold out for who ?

When you can upgrade a position, specifically a starting position, you gotta do it.  Especially when the kid is 22.

I'm not sure i want to tie  up all that cap space for Tobias Harris.  Kevin Love would be who.

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Michael Scotto: Paul Millsap is leaning towards signing with the Atlanta Hawks, a league source tells Sheridan Hoops.

Hope this doesn't mean that they will match Harris now....

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kyler did not say the Celtics are the front runners that's a misrepresentation.

Steve Kyler ?@stevekylerNBA  · 7m7 minutes ago 

Steve Kyler retweeted The NBA Hub™
Not what I reported at all... 

Steve Kyler added,

The NBA Hub™ @TheNBAHub 
Boston Celtics are reportedly closing in on Tobias Harris. (via @stevekylerNBA)

Steve Kyler ?@stevekylerNBA  · 15m15 minutes ago 
There have been indication that Boston could be the front runner, but was told that Harris' camp has made no decisions yet

The title doesn't say they're "closing in on him," it says that the Celts are frontrunners, which means they're the favorites to sign him but that no decision has been made. That's exactly what Kyler said. If people don't know the meaning of frontrunner, that's not my fault.

What Kyler exactly said was that we "could be" frontrunners, which is what's called "weasel wording", because it's easy to weasel out of the implication - hey, we could be frontrunners or we could not.  Indications were mixed, dontchaknow.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

Hold out for who ?

I'm not sure i want to tie  up all that cap space for Tobias Harris.  Kevin Love would be who.

If Love wants to come to Boston the C's could get it done.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Please no.

I don't get the excitement over Harris.  His RPM is negative and his VORP is below Crowder's thanks to some atrocious D.  And for those of you who don't put a lot of stock in advanced metrics, Harris has been vocal about wanting the ball in his hands and has been criticized for not wanting to pass.  Is that the guy who's going to help our young players develop?

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Some people have to step-up their reading comprehension game. :)
Celtics blog has taught me that two things can't be taught: height and reading comprehension.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Re: Washburn: Magic won't match max offer to Tobias Harris
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Giving max money to non-max players is a mistake.  I know he is young, and has decent numbers, but what impact does he have on winning?

But you have to define what a max contract is.  Just estimating the numbers, it will be about $16 mil for Harris this season.  For an older veteran, it is about $22m.  With the salary cap going up to $89m next year, it will be about $20m for a young guy and $28m for an older guy.  In 2017, with the cap going up to $108m, it will be about about $25m for a young guy and $34m for an older guy, meanwhile Harris will be locked in at around $17m that year. 

If Harris improves at all, and he's only 22, that contract will be a bargain.  Considering he plays a position of need and his youth, this seems like an easy decision to me.